Can we guess something from the comparison with South America?

Nucky Thompson

Well, some others (read: me among them) say that England compares more to the Iron Islands. A bit rough but not too much of an error.

No one does this seriously though. A few folks get worked up over the association a lot of readers draw between the Ironborn and the Vikings and decide to try and shift the imagined sleight to their culture and heritage back on to those they think are stigmatising them in some way.

No one does this seriously though. A few folks get worked up over the association a lot of readers draw between the Ironborn and the Vikings and decide to try and shift the imagined sleight to their culture and heritage back on to those they think are stigmatising them in some way.

I have no idea how that relates to geography.

Going by the scale of using the wall as a reference then westeros is massive but that does seem to make people travel around very quickly.

Don't be confused by the show. People do travel appropriately slowly.

For example, Cat hauling ass from Winterfell to KL with all the resources of House Stark to speed her along took two months.

Well winterfell to kl is approx 2000 miles. Which means that assuming they robert and ned travelled at 20 miles a day ,which seems optomistic for that wheel house especially through the neck, it would take them over 3 months. I know cat went by sea so 2 months is feasible. I guess its just about possible.

It might just be me not really realising how much time transpires between some chapters.

And to you as well: Get a ruler and do the math.

dude you have a serious problem. Stop using logic and math to explain a fantasy series as sacred rule.

Yeah, I got the 300 milles thing. Use the same rule and explain me how Robb gets from WF to the Twins in a couple of weeks, when the distance is twice as the whole wall itself.

Your 300 milles, for example is the distance Cat made from where she got Tyron to the Eyre, while Tyron expects a horse rider to reach CRock (twice as far as the lenght of the wall) and Tywin to send their own men to catch him...and a big, biiiiiiig etc. By lots of examples its impossible to think Westeros as big as south america.

Presumably the maps included in the books, are about as reliable for navigation, as traditional medieval maps would have been?

Therefore it is impossible to get an accurate picture of the size of the landmass of Westeros by doing such things as measuring the Wall and then applying that measurement to the rest of the land mass>

dude you have a serious problem. Stop using logic and math to explain a fantasy series as sacred rule.

Yeah, I got the 300 milles thing. Use the same rule and explain me how Robb gets from WF to the Twins in a couple of weeks, when the distance is twice as the whole wall itself.

Your 300 milles, for example is the distance Cat made from where she got Tyron to the Eyre, while Tyron expects a horse rider to reach CRock (twice as far as the lenght of the wall) and Tywin to send their own men to catch him...and a big, biiiiiiig etc. By lots of examples its impossible to think Westeros as big as south america.

Yes, sometimes, there are little hiccups. Sometimes, as in rarely.

As to your sacred rule: Good writing operates in a logical system and a given law of nature. It doesn't have to be the laws of the real world, nor does need everything to be known to the reader. Indeed does fantasy change some of these laws or it wouldn't be fantasy. But the writing is conclusive and does not defy it's own laws.

Presumably the maps included in the books, are about as reliable for navigation, as traditional medieval maps would have been?

Therefore it is impossible to get an accurate picture of the size of the landmass of Westeros by doing such things as measuring the Wall and then applying that measurement to the rest of the land mass>

Might be. But: Westeros still covers at least three climate zones: subtropic, temperate and subarctic. Depending on how far north the Lands of Always Winter stretches, arctic as well. On Earth, the distance between the northern and southern border of the temperate zone is about 43 degrees or 4500 km.

Well, about as well as a comparison between the Iron Islands and England does. It's more the underlying reason for the comparison.

Meh, both are a set of islands west of the mainland not particularly important during the given time and occupying (very roughly) the same landmass.

Meh, both are a set of islands west of the mainland not particularly important during the given time and occupying (very roughly) the same landmass.

I'm going to be "that guy". The British Isles and England are not the same.

If we're moving from geography into geo-politics then England was relatively wealthy and the subject of a whole load of migrations and invasions from the continent (Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Danes, Normans) and England's involvement in continental politics only began because the Anglo-Norman land holding complicated things (100 years war etc..).

The Iron Islands have never been invaded from Westeros proper but have raided the coastal areas and up the rivers since time immemorial. Immediately pre-conquest Harren the Black had carved out a kingdom in the riverlands.

Sounds much more like those Norsemen (Normandy, Sicily, Rus, etc...).

But just because medieval Europe offers GRRM inspiration and ideas doesn't mean it lends itself to direct parallels.

Archived