[BOOK SPOILERS] Does it seem plausible that Brienne...

teemo

Watch some of the prior Hound fight scene:

Blackwater (S2E9)- Outside in a open space, the Hound was swinging the sword two-handed.

Kiss By Fire (S3E5)- Against Beric Dondarian: Enclosed space, had a shield, and swung one-handed throughout.

Two Swords (S4E1)- At the Inn against Kings men: Enclose space and the Hound was alterating between one and two-handed.

Vs. Brienne: fight was out in the open and throughout the entire sword fight, the Hound was swinging the sword one-handed.

Hound favor to use two-hand when fighting in Battle during Blackwater. He could not use two hand against Dondarian due to having a shield and fighting in a enclosed space. Without a shield Hound can fight one-handed in a enclosed space but goes for two hands when he can.

Hound's injury made him to swing the sword one-handed throughout the swordfight. The injury could also affect the impact of the blows he did give on the injured side.

Watch some of the prior Hound fight scene:

Blackwater (S2E9)- Outside in a open space, the Hound was swinging the sword two-handed.

Kiss By Fire (S3E5)- Against Beric Dondarian: Enclosed space, had a shield, and swung one-handed throughout.

Two Swords (S4E1)- At the Inn against Kings men: Enclose space and the Hound was alterating between one and two-handed.

Vs. Brienne: fight was out in the open and throughout the entire sword fight, the Hound was swinging the sword one-handed.

Hound favor to use two-hand when fighting in Battle during Blackwater. He could not use two hand against Dondarian due to having a shield and fighting in a enclosed space. Without a shield Hound can fight one-handed in a enclosed space but goes for two hands when he can.

Hound's injury made him to swing the sword one-handed throughout the swordfight. The injury could also affect the impact of the blows he did give on the injured side.

No, that's just the bad fight choreography, everyone uses their sword one handed this season.

These kind of questions on who would win never make sense. All you can do is say someone is more likely to win.

On any given day it desn't always roll with the odds - it's just a matter of how much the odds are skewed by how good someone is. Who would have thought Spain, Italy, Portugal and England would all be out of the World Cup in the first round. No chance!. But anyone can have a bad day.

In life or death fights all it is going to take is one slip, or one distraction, or underestmation, or one moment of madness or one moment of genius - and the better fighter could lose, however unlikely. That's why people sometimes gamble on the underdogs in sports. And sometimes win.

Can defeat the Hound in a fight? Discuss.

Well they kind of set that one up.

In E2 Brienne not only defeated Loras at the melee , but makes short work of three Stark soldiers later on.

In the books she gets in a duel with Jamie , supposedly the best sword in Westeros, and even tho he is hampered with cuffs he does get the better of Brienne in the beginning, but from his POV as the fight goes on he starts loosing, in the show this is only briefly elaborated.

In season 3 Sandor made short work of three Frey soldiers.

We do have him taking on 5 men, he has a hard time, but does disable four of them, kill three of them, Arya gets the other two.

So I thought the whole meeting was a better solution than in books where both Brienne and The Hound have it out with some lessor fighters.

I always thought Brienne having such a hard time with Rorge and Biter in the books was off, those two were not trained soldiers.

But even in the books Brienne and the Hound seemed evenly matched , but they never met.

The show also rearranged both Sandor and Arya's and Brienne and Pod's WALKABOUT (ok on the page) so that the four of them came upon each other.

I thought it was just fine , remember in that fight, Brienne has go beyond even her considerable skills in the final 'second wind' moments.

One thing I thought might happed , in homage to Biter's 'bite' , that the Hound would have landed a lucky slash on her cheek.

I did find him taking a Valyrian blade away from her , as he did, not believable... but they needed to get onto the knuckle sandwich party!

As someone else pointed out, she won because she beat him with a rock which makes it plausible. Even a person much smaller than him could have managed that. The real problem is how ridiculous and out of place that scene was, pure fanfiction of the worst kind. What was even the point of it?

As someone else pointed out, she won because she beat him with a rock which makes it plausible. Even a person much smaller than him could have managed that. The real problem is how ridiculous and out of place that scene was, pure fanfiction of the worst kind. What was even the point of it?

Technically every fiction novel is fanfiction

Well . . . maybe I'm the wrong person to be answering your question, because I thought it was one of the best scenes of the entire season.

The point was that it made good TV. Do they need another point?

The Brienne and Sandor characters have both been transferred to the small screen with great success. Both those characters are vibrant, popular with the viewership, and totally faithful to the spirit of the characters in the book. Why not throw them together, if you can do it without harming the story, which was easy enough to do?

I think they pulled it off. The overall story was unaffected. As for the scene itself, the dialogue, acting, cinematography and music were all fantastic and melded into a highly-entertaining whole. I'm not much of a fan of TV/movie fighting, because there's always something silly and unbelievable in TV/movie fights, plus they drag on with non-believable action, but as fights go this one was about as good as it gets; I'd have to say it's the best one-on-one fight they've had in the show (yes, including Viper v Mt.)

Please tell me what was ridiculous about it. It's not at all a stretch that they might run into each other - we've got a bunch of characters beating back and forth over a limited number of roads. Each character's reaction and dialogue was, in my view, 100% faithful to that character's spirit.

I thought it was a wonderful scene.

I thought it was a wonderful scene.

Ditto. I loved it for all the reasons you state, two of the best warriors going at it, the dialogue, the injustice of it all. Brilliant. I am hoping for a fight next year to rival or overtake it.

Because it was a great scene to watch, which is ultimately the point of watching anything. And it wasn't that odd a coincidence they met - both teams happened to be in that area, same as Tyrion and Cat happened to be a few season's back.

If you want real fight 'fanfiction' from showrunners watch the the Daleks vs the Cybermen episode of Doctor Who (aka 'pest control'), mind you I loved that too.

Can defeat the Hound in a fight? Discuss.

Can? yes. Would normally ? No.

Brienne in the books is pretty huge and strong, and more dangerous than most people realize, but the Hound might be one of the top killers in the whole realm. Even if their strength and reach is counted as equal, between her and the Hound, the Hound is not only more experienced, but more vicious. In the show Jaime says a line about there being just a small number of people who might be able to take him in a fight, and though some of that was bragging, speculation is that The Hound is one of them. In Brienne's defense, in both book and show she does defeat Loras Tyrell in that melee at Bitterbridge. In the Hound's defense, she was armed with Valyrian steel, and the Hound was already sick (well, dying) from an infected wound.

So what I would say is, out of every 5 fights, the Hound should normally win 3 or 4, if both are in full health and similarly armed.

In the books, no way.

In the show, they've turned Brienne into a ruthless killing machine, she has a Valyrian steel sword and the Hound was in a weakened state, so yes.

That does not excuse the scene though, it never should've happened in the first place.

Yes.

Does it seem plausible that they can randomly run into each other in the way they did in the show and not have it feel contrived and hackney.

Nope.

Yep, just like you guys said. It felt like a cop-out. Like they were trying to stay true to the books (by making sure the hound died) but ended up diverging more (by having Brienne kill him). Besides, I'm kind of worried about Brienne's arc now that she's in the middle of nowhere, miles from where she is in the books, and won't be getting any LSH. Like, what is she gonna do in the next few seasons? Is she just gonna 'happen' to run into more characters just to stay relevant?

Of course, that's not to say random coincidences don't happen in the book too for plot reasons. The Tyrion-Jorah brothel scene, anyone?

This scene was obviously a tribute to Brienne's fight with Shagwell's crew. Brienne has a thing where she really hulks out when she is unarmed and outnumbered and desperate. I guess that's because she's been treated that way all her life and it really fuels her anger. So it's plausible that she could've beaten the Hound out of desperation. But then again, it would be even more plausible when the Hound is drunk. We know Sandor doesn't do so well when he's drunk.

Archived