[BOOK SPOILERS] Does it seem plausible that Brienne...

teemo

There was a thought in one of Barristan's POVs where he is thinking about fighting and how even something like some wet grass could make a swordsman slip and lose a fight. I always think of that when I see the X can't beat Y in a fight arguments.

Every fighter knows about the lucky punch or having a bad day or what have you. But still its like betting on a boxing match, you can see which guy is better; strength, speed, heart, ect. The outcome of a fight is never certain but usually the odds are in someones favor, in this case I'd say the Hound but I'll take the show's fight with the infected wound.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally I loved the scene. It was a real fight. Granted, as many have pointed out, the hound was weakened, but on the flip side its unlikely that Brienne had ever been in a fight like that before. Swordplay in tournaments is far different from biting someone’s ear off on the side of a cliff.

As a scene it was a great way to bring the Hound/Arya story to a close. We knew it was going to happen, but this had teeth. No pun intended. It was a clash between two great characters.

But also it was a mirror to everything that Bronn had been saying to Jaime. Winning a fight isn't about fancy fencing. Sometimes its about hitting your opponent with his own hand. Ned Stark was all about honour and duty. He died. The Hound was teaching Arya about surviving and how the world works, least from his view point. Brienne learned in that moment something that we, the viewers in this case, already know, winning is dirty. You enter a fight, you win, or you die.

Personally I loved the scene. It was a real fight. Granted, as many have pointed out, the hound was weakened, but on the flip side its unlikely that Brienne had ever been in a fight like that before. Swordplay in tournaments is far different from biting someone’s ear off on the side of a cliff.

As a scene it was a great way to bring the Hound/Arya story to a close. We knew it was going to happen, but this had teeth. No pun intended. It was a clash between two great characters.

But also it was a mirror to everything that Bronn had been saying to Jaime. Winning a fight isn't about fancy fencing. Sometimes its about hitting your opponent with his own hand. Ned Stark was all about honour and duty. He died. The Hound was teaching Arya about surviving and how the world works, least from his view point. Brienne learned in that moment something that we, the viewers in this case, already know, winning is dirty. You enter a fight, you win, or you die.

:agree:

I second every word. Excellent post!

• 3 weeks later...

Well said!

Archived