A Game of Screentime - Season 4

StannisEndGame

Like Martin did in the books. He's the character who has the most pages devoted to him. It only stands to reason that the show would do the same. You're creating an argument that isn't necessary. Blame George if you don't like how much Tyrion is involved in the story.

Tyrion is only the protagonist in ACOK. In ASOS, especially the first half he's a lot less prominent. It definitely felt like they were desperate to give him more screen time in S3.

I only really have the numbers for the culmination of all 5 books as opposed to the end of ASoS but the only real deviation I see in screentime/pagetime is Team Dragonstone and that may not even be true if you go back to the end of ASoS (or at least as pronounced a gap).

Regardless, now that Stannis is at the Wall and getting into his ADwD material, the screentime will shoot up in S5 to align more with where his book ranking would be.

Tyrion is only the protagonist in ACOK. In ASOS, especially the first half he's a lot less prominent. It definitely felt like they were desperate to give him more screen time in S3.

Tyrion has 10 chapters in ASoS (more than what he had in AGoT). The only characters with more chapters in ASoS were Arya and Jon.

Even this is misleading because you've also got characters like Sansa and Jaime who have their own POV chapters in ASoS where they interact directly with Tyrion as well.

Tyrion has 10 chapters in ASoS (more than what he had in AGoT). The only characters with more chapters in ASoS were Arya and Jon.

Even this is misleading because you've also got characters like Sansa and Jaime who have their own POV chapters in ASoS where they interact directly with Tyrion as well.

And only four? five? of those were adapted in season 3. Not to mention the Symon Silvertongue thing was cut. In any case I don't think a point for point comparison can be made - my point still stands: I think some of Tyrion's scenes in S3 were repetitive and fillerish, specifically his accounting with Olenna and most of his scenes with Shae.

And only four? five? of those were adapted in season 3. Not to mention the Symon Silvertongue thing was cut. In any case I don't think a point for point comparison can be made - my point still stands: I think some of Tyrion's scenes in S3 were repetitive and fillerish, specifically his accounting with Olenna and most of his scenes with Shae.

Disagree. I feel they did a magnificent job fleshing out KL in season 3.

Disagree. I feel they did a magnificent job fleshing out KL in season 3.

You mean padding out. Kings Landing in Season 3 was absolute torture after the first few episodes. If they'd put Sansa's wedding in 6, and the PW in 10 it would have gone a lot better.

You mean padding out. Kings Landing in Season 3 was absolute torture after the first few episodes. If they'd put Sansa's wedding in 6, and the PW in 10 it would have gone a lot better.

Nope. I think they did an admirable job. Expectations, expectations...

The point is that proportionately speaking, Tyrion has most of material devoted to him (along with Arya and Jon) in both S3 and S4 that needs to be adapted. The structural issues that came from splitting the book into two seasons and needing to pad out storylines to accommodate this affected all characters, not just Tyrion. Jon got additional material, Arya got additional material, Stannis got additional material, Dany got additional material, Jaime got additional material, Bran got additional material etc. etc. That's just a structural decision for the seasons, not one that is specific to Tyrion.

I guess my issue is that whilst most of the characters have had expanded material everyone elses has kept true to their nature, whereas Tyrion's extra time has been used to paint him in a better light.

OK well that would be a completely separate issue than what is being discussed in this thread. This about the allocation of screentime for all the characters.

The point is that proportionately speaking, Tyrion has most of material devoted to him (along with Arya and Jon) in both S3 and S4 that needs to be adapted. The structural issues that came from splitting the book into two seasons and needing to pad out storylines to accommodate this affected all characters, not just Tyrion. Jon got additional material, Arya got additional material, Stannis got additional material, Dany got additional material, Jaime got additional material, Bran got additional material etc. etc. That's just a structural decision for the seasons, not one that is specific to Tyrion.

But why is that extra time being used for D+D's personal inventions? It could well have been used to delve deeper into the source material. They were clearly struggling to find scenes for Shae and Tyrion for example so why not include the Symon subplot?

But why is that extra time being used for D+D's personal inventions? It could well have been used to delve deeper into the source material. They were clearly struggling to find scenes for Shae and Tyrion for example so why not include the Symon subplot?

Because it would make Tyrion look bad, something they dont want to do.

There are so many other threads where you can go bitch and moan about how a character's being portrayed. If you want to try and bash the dead horse that is book reader rage that Tyrion isn't more of an asshole on the show, have at it in those spots.

This thread is about looking at how the screentime is being allocated from character to character and how that may or may not align with what you thought anecdotally or if you want to compare it to how the page time allocated to the corresponding characters in the books.

I am surprised that Cersei is not more highly ranked. By that I mean, she is such a powerful character that even when her scene is short, the impression of her lingers. According to your numbers, she is 5th overall. If I had been asked to guess, I probably would have ranked her higher. Yes, I know, top 5 is pretty darn good, but she seems so ....present at all times, even in shared scenes.

I think it is still funny they actually hired Gerard Jordan who played Biter in season 2 to play Biter in season 4.

My guess is

73. Biter < 0:02

Not counting the time he's on screen DEAD, that maybe 2 seconds!

Must be a record!

Archived