A Game of Screentime - Season 4

StannisEndGame

8. Daenerys Targaryen - 29:33

8 ... interesting.

Looks we are back into Qarth problems again for Emilia Clarke in Meereen.

I think next season she will take Jon's role this season as having the second-most screentime.

Overall, happy Sansa was fifth this season and sixth overall. Even so, expected they had given more scenes to her with Lysa and LF during 4X05 and 4X07. They sometimes don't know how to use the time they actually have, hence why people above are complaining about the repetitive scenes of season 3.

Am I reading this right...Stannis gets 10 minutes of time but Missandei gets 12?

Missandei is a Dany supporting character. She's in a lot of scenes where she doesn't do much. Stannis' screentime may be smaller, but he's always a focus in a scene he's in.

"King Tommen" with his series of angry attacks on other people is a drag on this thread.

Rounded to nearest minute, half hour+ for each season:

Ned 9, Jon just under 6, Dany/Tyrion 5, Cat 4; Arya, Jorah, Robert (4 Ned & family, 2 Dany & sidekick, Tyrion, Robert)

Tyrion 6, Theon 4; Dany/Cersei/Arya/Jon/Rob (3 Ned's kids, 2 Lannisters, Dany, Theon)

Tyrion 4; Jaime/Jon/Dany/Sansa (2 Ned's kids, 2 Lannisters, Dany)

Tyrion 5; Jon/Cersei 4; Jaime/Sansa/Tywin/Oberyn/Dany (4 Lannisters, 2 Ned's kids, Dany, Oberyn)

Odd how scattered S3 was compared to the others.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here but aren't the top 4 in screentime on the show (Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Arya) the same exact 4 in the books in terms of chapters?

Not exactly. As at the end of ASOS, tthe top five would be Tyrion, Jon, Arya and then Catelyn. Tied in the fourth place, there would be Dany and Sansa.

So Catelyn would seem to be the most ignored character in the show in relation to the books. That would fit with my impression, and many more from here, I'm sure.

I've tried to make a comparison with book time and show time. The best way to do it would require keeping track of which characters appear in each chapter, and ponderate the length of every character. I don't have much time, so I've used a simpler method:

• The first column is the percentage of screentime of the charater in the first four seasons, using StannisEndGame's excellent figures and dividing by 2200 minutes (estimated total runtime: 4 x 10 55 min)
  • The second column is the percentage that every POV chapter represents in relation to the total 225 chapters from the first three books.
  • The third column is the difference.

SHOW BOOKS

1. Tyrion Lannister 10,14% 15,6% -5,42

2. Jon Snow 7,77% 12,9% -5,12

3. Daenerys Targaryen 7,14% 9,30% -2,20

4. Arya Stark 6,18% 12,4% -6,26

5. Sansa Stark 5,50% 9,30% -3,83

7. Jaime Lannister 5,00% 4,00% 1,00

8. Theon Greyjoy 4,36% 2,70% 1,70

9. Eddard Stark 4,27% 6,70% -2,39

10. Catelyn Stark 4,14% 11,10% -6,97

13. Samwell Tarly 3,91% 2,20% 1,69

16. Brandon Stark 3,14% 8,00% -4,86

21. Davos Seaworth 2,50% 4,00% -1,50

Of course, the two columns can't really be compared because some characters appear in chapters out of his POV. (The second column would add 100%, while the first adds much more).

However, we can say (for instance) that Tyrion appears at least in a 15,6% of the first 3 books (he always appears in his POV), while only appears in exactly a 10,15% of the first 4 seasons.

With that in mind, the difference in Catelyn, Arya, Tyrion, Jon and Bran would seem to be the ones that lose more protagonism in the adaptation.

Maybe I'm just daft or I missed something, but I am a little uncertain as to what the numbers in parentheses mean? I see the 1-4 and I guess seasons, but what does the bold signify? Also, the numbers afterwards 36, 32, etc. Are those the number of scenes the character has been in?

What's wrong with not making Tyrion not as grey as he was in the books? He's still extremely compelling as a character.

He is, but he is still less compelling than he is in the books in my opinion. Certainly his character was not improved by the change unless you count making him more accessible to the lowest common denominator. There was no reason for the change other than that. And even appealing to the wider public is a moot point because other shows like Breaking Bad, and House of Cards etc. etc. have already showed that a morally grey protagonist can carry a show. It shows a lack of boldness on D+D's part, and a desire to take a less conventional story and make it conventional.

I'm surprised that Gilly is that low in season 4 actually. It seemed like she was on screen for hours and hours.

TV-Gilly/Sam scenes are obnoxiously bad. I fast forwarded most of them ,along with burping whores and that sort of thing . The wall actually had a lot more screentime than I thought it is just that it is terrible writing all round and ofc about 90% of it is just filler , so perfectly safe to fast forward it. The exception, believe it or not, is Craster's. That has its problems but atleast it is entertaining to watch, if only because of that awesome actor playing Karl.

I'm surprised that Gilly is that low in season 4 actually. It seemed like she was on screen for hours and hours.

I don't know how you could possibly have thought that. She appeared in only three episodes, one of those for only a couple of of minutes.

He is, but he is still less compelling than he is in the books in my opinion. Certainly his character was not improved by the change unless you count making him more accessible to the lowest common denominator. There was no reason for the change other than that. And even appealing to the wider public is a moot point because other shows like Breaking Bad, and House of Cards etc. etc. have already showed that a morally grey protagonist can carry a show. It shows a lack of boldness on D+D's part, and a desire to take a less conventional story and make it conventional.

It is strange, and even more considering the show has never shy away of the violence and general dark tone from the book, and some of their "best" characters are those who are mostly "grey" like Dany or Jaime.

I remember before this season started, Maisie Williams was worried some people may not like the direction her character was taking, but from what I know, most unsullieds loved Arya this season.Even some people on this forum were thinking they won't made Arya as cold as her book counterpart, yet they did. If they're not affraid to take this route with other characters, why do they insist in keeping Tyrion always as the "morally good guy" who is only a victim? I don't know...

Anyways back on topic, I'm looking forward to see how hte show manage the next season, addapting AFFC/ADWD will be a hard work and I'm sure those numbers will change drastically (maybe not the top 4, but the rest of the cast will).

As for season 4 I'm pleasantly surprised to see both Sansa and Oberyn having more screentime than Dany. Can't say the same about Missandei and Grey Worm on top of Ser Barristan the Bold

Archived