A Game of Screentime - Season 4

StannisEndGame

• 1 month later...

I don't know where the idea of Dinklage having some contract clause about the largest screentime cones from. Not only is it silly, but when would he have signed such a contract? It's not like he renegotiated it after season one, and he sure didn't have the biggest screentime in season 1 - he was behind Sean Bean, Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke.

Tyrion's screentime in seasons 2 and 4 was justified and expected. In season 3 it was not, but it was a result of the show's obsession with the political bitchfests of King's Landing (see also: Littlefinger's ridiculously inflated screentime in season 1, the Tyrells, Tywin, Cersei etc.).

No way is Tyrion going to have the biggest screentime in season 5 travelling through Essos with Varys (for a while) and Jorah as the only familiar characters, especially if they cut fAegon. I think he will be behind Jon and Cersei, maybe Dany depending on how her arc is structured.

No way is Tyrion going to have the biggest screentime in season 5 travelling through Essos with Varys (for a while) and Jorah as the only familiar characters, especially if they cut fAegon. I think he will be behind Jon and Cersei, maybe Dany depending on how her arc is structured.

I think Tyrion will definitely have less screentime than Cersei next year. I expect Cersei will have the most screentime overall. Less sure about Jon.

I think Tyrion will definitely have less screentime than Cersei next year. I expect Cersei will have the most screentime overall. Less sure about Jon.

I don't see how Jon won't have the most screentime next year. It just seems necessary if they are going to pull off the LC/Stannis/Melisandre/Wildlings plotlines plausibly.

I highly doubt that. Peter is the face of the show and tyrion is easily the most loved character by show!watchers. No way is Cersei going to have more screentime than him. I think that Tyrion will have the most screentime, then Jon, and then maybe Cersei. But either way she's going to be from the #3-5 range, she's not having the most screentime. Especially because both Tyrion and Jon have just as many POV chapters as her in AFFC and ADWD. Dany too.

I highly doubt that. Peter is the face of the show and tyrion is easily the most loved character by show!watchers. No way is Cersei going to have more screentime than him. I think that Tyrion will have the most screentime, then Jon, and then maybe Cersei. But either way she's going to be from the #3-5 range, she's not having the most screentime. Especially because both Tyrion and Jon have just as many POV chapters as her in AFFC and ADWD. Dany too.

Cersei has the second-most dialogue of any character on the show despite them not even having gotten to the point where she actually has POV chapters. And she's basically going to be the only game in town in King's Landing now, and while it won't be quite the same central location it was before, the writers love that setting.

Cersei has the second-most dialogue of any character on the show despite them not even having gotten to the point where she actually has POV chapters. And she's basically going to be the only game in town in King's Landing now, and while it won't be quite the same central location it was before, the writers love that setting.

The writers loved KL because of the people in it...not because of the setting itself. Without Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime (at some point), Joffrey, Littlefinger, Varys or Oberyn, I can't see how the writers spend half as much time there as they did in seasons past. Cersei may have a significant plotline...but it's nowhere near as significant as what's happening at the Wall, Winterfell, Slaver's Bay or Dorne. I bet we see far, far less of KL than we do of any of those other places, because they now have more characters and more storyline to cover.

The writers loved KL because of the people in it...not because of the setting itself. Without Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime (at some point), Joffrey, Littlefinger, Varys or Oberyn, I can't see how the writers spend half as much time there as they did in seasons past. Cersei may have a significant plotline...but it's nowhere near as significant as what's happening at the Wall, Winterfell, Slaver's Bay or Dorne. I bet we see far, far less of KL than we do of any of those other places, because they now have more characters and more storyline to cover.

exactly

although i'm annoyed at how much fucking dorne there's going to be, if D&D wanted to make cuts then that would be the location they should have made cuts imo

Well technically Jon has 13 chapters, Tyrion and Cersei have 12, and Dany has 10. But they've already covered at least one of Dany's chapters, and they still have some material left from ASoS for Jon.

Jon and Cersei should have the most screentime, with Tyrion coming third if he meets Young Griff, followed by Daenerys.

But I imagine Tyrion will once again get far and away the most screentime, even if they cut parts of his narrative.

Well technically Jon has 13 chapters, Tyrion and Cersei have 12, and Dany has 10. But they've already covered at least one of Dany's chapters, and they still have some material left from ASoS for Jon.

Jon and Cersei should have the most screentime, with Tyrion coming third if he meets Young Griff, followed by Daenerys.

But I imagine Tyrion will once again get far and away the most screentime, even if they cut parts of his narrative.

Yeah, when you include the last two chapters of ASoS which weren't covered in Season 4, Jon has 15 chapters left. I think they will compress his storyline somewhat next season, but I still think we will see him the most. I just don't see how they can emphasize Tyrion's storyline when he doesn't do much of anything.

Yeah, when you include the last two chapters of ASoS which weren't covered in Season 4, Jon has 15 chapters left. I think they will compress his storyline somewhat next season, but I still think we will see him the most. I just don't see how they can emphasize Tyrion's storyline when he doesn't do much of anything.

I'm really hoping they don't cover his assassination next season... Presumably he won't be elected for at least a few episodes, leaving him with just over half the season to be lord commander. To have him assassinated after such a short reign would really be a disservice to his character, particularly when they've already placed a lot of emphasis on Dany as a ruler.

I'm really hoping they don't cover his assassination next season... Presumably he won't be elected for at least a few episodes, leaving him with just over half the season to be lord commander. To have him assassinated after such a short reign would really be a disservice to his character, particularly when they've already placed a lot of emphasis on Dany as a ruler.

I think Jon will be elected in the first or second episode...I see no reason to delay it longer than that. Presumably, the election won't be as complicated as the one in the book since Jon is the clear leader and there are no lingering doubts about his loyalty. My rough approximation of the episodes (I think we'll see the Wall in 9 episodes):

Episode 1: LC election to be held

Episode 2: Jon is elected

Episode 3: Jon sends Sam, Gilly and Aemon away

Episode 4-5: Stannis reveals plan to march on North, Jon deals with him

Episode 6: Stannis is gone, Jon deals with Melisandre...if we get the fArya plot, this is where I think it'll show up. Otherwise, we'll get something else.

Episode 7: Jon deals with Tormund, sends him out for the Wildlings

Episode 8: Allowing Wildlings through the Wall

Episode 9: Assassination attempt (no clue if we'll get the pink letter or if it will be concerning letting the Wildlings through the Wall).

I can see them cutting Hardhome and even the Mance/fArya/pink letter plot altogether. Definitely no Alys Karstark subplot. Obviously, though, these are all my uneducated guesses, so it could be completely different.

I'm 99.9999999% sure he'll be elected in the first episode, or, at the latest, the second.

Jon's storyline is big, but it's a perfect one-season storyline; cutting it into two would harm the narrative structure, IMO. And he does a shitload of things as the LC, doing things nobody had ever done before - such as bringing wildlings not just south of the Wall but also recruiting them into the Watch, taking the position that the Others and the wights are the real enemy, even though the NW had spend who knows how many decades and centuries primarily fighting the widlings - and it's exactly because of those things he does that he get enemies who want to assassinate him.

Tyrion came to KL and took over as the acting Hand of the King in the season 2 premiere, did lots of things and seemed to be doing really well, but was a victim of an assassination attempt in episode 9 and lost all power by the end of the season, after such a short reign. Did season 2 do disservice to Tyrion's character because it was structured like that?

• 10 months later...

Archived