A Game of Screentime - Season 4

StannisEndGame

Can't say the same about Missandei and Grey Worm on top of Ser Barristan the Bold

I understand the need to flesh these two out given that some members of Dany's court didn't make it onto the show, and now that Jorah's left Barristan should see more screentime.

That being said I'm still not convinced by the idea of an Unsullied/romance plot.

So even in ASOS, where Jon has the most chapters, Tyrion still get more screentime. Some Stannis/Jon interactions, intro to the LC election? Nope, lets spend 10 minutes talking about Orson f*cking Lannister. I don't care how "deep" or "philosophical" it was, in a show in which the writers/producers constantly complain about time restrictions, that was one pointless scene.

I am surprised that Cersei is not more highly ranked. By that I mean, she is such a powerful character that even when her scene is short, the impression of her lingers. According to your numbers, she is 5th overall. If I had been asked to guess, I probably would have ranked her higher. Yes, I know, top 5 is pretty darn good, but she seems so ....present at all times, even in shared scenes.

Funny, the reactions I've been seeing are of people wishing she had less screen time in Season 4. Most of her scenes this year have been repetitive and added nothing new.

I know it's completely unscientific since you can be in a scene and not do anything or that character scenes overlap but I do find it encouraging that if you add up the screen time of the people not on the show next year you have around 210 effective minutes of screen time to redistribute between me and old characters, out of about 860 minutes worth of time, so about 1/4th worth of character time has been freed up for next year.

Funny, the reactions I've been seeing are of people wishing she had less screen time in Season 4. Most of her scenes this year have been repetitive and added nothing new.

I agree. There was no reason to the amount of screentime (and whitewashing, but that is another story) Cersei got in season 3 and 4 considering ASOS is the book in which she is less active and doesn't have an active role to play.

Anyway, you're great, StannisEndGame, didn't think you would do this again but I'm glad I was wrong.

I agree. There was no reason to the amount of screentime (and whitewashing, but that is another story) Cersei got in season 3 and 4 considering ASOS is the book in which she is less active and doesn't have an active role to play.

Anyway, you're great, StannisEndGame, didn't think you would do this again but I'm glad I was wrong.

yeah D&D can't write Cersei for shit. the writing for her was pretty damn bad this season. The only scenes of her that I genuinely liked were during the Purple Wedding (and GRRM wrote those scenes), little scenes like meeting up with Mountain and smiling at Oberyn getting his head smashed and her scene with Jaime in the finale (because D&D finally gave her some sexual agency). as well as her scene with qyburn in the finale.

they should have focused this season on setting up her AFFC arc but instead they only care about showing how much she LOOOOVVESSS her children rme

yeah D&D can't write Cersei for shit. the writing for her was pretty damn bad this season. The only scenes of her that I genuinely liked were during the Purple Wedding (and GRRM wrote those scenes), little scenes like meeting up with Mountain and smiling at Oberyn getting his head smashed and her scene with Jaime in the finale (because D&D finally gave her some sexual agency). as well as her scene with qyburn in the finale.

they should have focused this season on setting up her AFFC arc but instead they only care about showing how much she LOOOOVVESSS her children rme

Showing her worrying about Tommen is setting up for her AFFC. Her whole arc there started with her rivalry with Margaery over Tommen. She doesn't accept that he is completely under the influence of the Tyrells, and that drives her to make some incredibly stupid decisions.

Showing her worrying about Tommen is setting up for her AFFC. Her whole arc there started with her rivalry with Margaery over Tommen. She doesn't accept that he is completely under the influence of the Tyrells, and that drives her to make some incredibly stupid decisions.

besides her scene with Tywin in the finale and her asking Jaime to increase the protection outside Tommen's room they haven't really shown her worrying for Tommen though? How about if they had actually given a one-on-one scene with her and Tommen instead?? That would have been nice. maybe a scene of Cersei telling Tommen how he needs to be stronger and more audacious because he's her lion cub.......

i can come up with better ideas than D&D in a second jfc, this is how mediocre their writing has gotten. and all her scenes with Jaime were complete shit this season, I only liked the scene in the finale because it gave her some of her sexual agency and Lena Headey was great.

besides her scene with Tywin in the finale and her asking Jaime to increase the protection outside Tommen's room they haven't really shown her worrying for Tommen though? How about if they had actually given a one-on-one scene with her and Tommen instead?? That would have been nice. maybe a scene of Cersei telling Tommen how he needs to be stronger and more audacious because he's her lion cub.......

i can come up with better ideas than D&D in a second jfc, this is how mediocre their writing has gotten. and all her scenes with Jaime were complete shit this season, I only liked the scene in the finale because it gave her some of her sexual agency and Lena Headey was great.

That's exactly the point. In the books we're constantly reminded she loves her children, yet she rarely shows them any affection. She's still a distant mother who only had eyes for Joffrey. I don't think there's a single scene with her having a one-on-one with Tommen in the books.

That's exactly the point. In the books we're constantly reminded she loves her children, yet she rarely shows them any affection. She's still a distant mother who only had eyes for Joffrey. I don't think there's a single scene with her having a one-on-one with Tommen in the books.

lol the entirety of AFFC is filled with many one-on-one scenes with her and Tommen though??

I can't remember any, but's it's been a while since I last read AFFC. Would you mind posting some short scenes?

here's one where Cersei wakes up and has breakfast with Tommen.

Tommen helped restore her to herself. He had never been more precious to her than he was that morning, chattering about his kittens as he dribbled honey onto a chunk of hot black bread fresh from the ovens. “Ser Pounce caught a mouse,” he told her, “but Lady Whiskers stole it from him.”

I was never so sweet and innocent, Cersei thought.

Yes Cersei likes to scold Tommen for his mentor choice, threatens to have his whipping boy hurt cuz a Margaery-guided Tommen wants more responsibility, has him put his seal on various papers, scolds him for his behavior on the way to Tywin's funeral...some other stuff too I think.

Cersei/Tommen's one of the best relationships in books 4 or 5 for me. But Cersei's my 3rd-favorite character, so.

So even in ASOS, where Jon has the most chapters, Tyrion still get more screentime. Some Stannis/Jon interactions, intro to the LC election? Nope, lets spend 10 minutes talking about Orson f*cking Lannister. I don't care how "deep" or "philosophical" it was, in a show in which the writers/producers constantly complain about time restrictions, that was one pointless scene.

Of course he did. Peter Dinklage is the star of the show- he probably has a contract where he needs to have the greatest amount of screen time. TV doesn't work like the books do. What did you expect?

I hope the show has the audacity to diminish Tyrion's screentime next season.

They have seen this season it works with characters like Bran or the Boltons/Reek to have them appear less but still get the point.

I hope Tyrion gets only 7 episodes next season. I know it's still a lot but D&D wouldnt go below that.

Archived