A Game of Screentime - Season 4

StannisEndGame

Well yes, it's iconic to this forum and it's members - aka the beating heart of the ASOIAF/GoT fandom.

Look, this is really taking things too far. How many active members does this forum have? Several hundred? A thousand or two, from all over the world? Compared to, I don't know, 30-40 million viewers globally, that's insignificant. To say this forum is the beating heart of show fandom is pretty far-fetched.

Not that this is in any way representative, but on westeros.org less than a thousand people vote on episode threads as opposed to 10-15,000 on, say, IMDB.

Wrong. Plenty of fans don't come on internet forums...they are the sane ones, really. My husband loves the books and read them long before I did, but he doesn't like message boards. Many people are like that.

Yes, plenty of fans don't go on the forums. But when I say heart, or core that's implying a small group at the centre. Which is undoubtedly what this forum is.

Yes, plenty of fans don't go on the forums. But when I say heart, or core that's implying a small group at the centre. Which is undoubtedly what this forum is.

No, I doubt it very much. Fans on the internet aren't better than the fans who don't go on the internet, nor do their opinions count for more.

No, I doubt it very much. Fans on the internet aren't better than the fans who don't go on the internet, nor do their opinions count for more.

Which isn't what I was saying. However the fans who visit forums are more likely to be more dedicated (or rather the fans who are more dedicated are more likely to visit the forums.). In that sense I would call this forum the heart of the fandom. I really don't understand this constant need by D+D's defenders to belittle this forum as often as possible.

Which isn't what I was saying. However the fans who visit forums are more likely to be more dedicated (or rather the fans who are more dedicated are more likely to visit the forums.). In that sense I would call this forum the heart of the fandom. I really don't understand this constant need by D+D's defenders to belittle this forum as often as possible.

I don't think anyone belittled anything here. I just think it's unwarranted to think that a thousand active posters (much less than that in all likelihood; how many names are present here on a regular basis? couple dozen?) is somehow "the beating heart" of show fandom that is millions upon millions strong. And it's even less warranted to think that showrunners have an obligation towards these people to include "iconic lines".

Think that Only Cat can reasonably be described as iconic when it is used on its own to denote a whole scene. Whether it's iconic outside of these forums is another issue. Maybe the Goodreads quote selection is a better barometer? Dunno really https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/346732.George_R_R_Martin

People have to stop expecting to hear their favorite lines play out verbatim on the show. Has Only Cat taught you people nothing?

That D+D neither know nor care which lines/scenes are iconic to the fandom?

In any case, I suspect that it will be "Olly, fetch me a block" because I think Ed will be sent to Braavos with Sam and take on Dareon's role. He doesn't really do anything much in ADWD so they must have had some reason for keeping him around when Grenn and Pyp died. And given how grim and cynical he is it wouldn't be unbelievable for him to desert.

See, I am really not a frequent poster here, because I am not that good at discussing things.... but I lurk here for years now and enjoy posts form all of you and I count myself as a big fan... And I suspect there are many people like me. For me those lines are iconic, too. That is why I hope for 'Edd fetch me a block', but I expect to be disappointed as previous season taught me quite a few times... I guess I just don't get it, why change those lines, is there something wrong with them? Because they can I guess. Nothing we can do.

I really don't want them to make Edd a 'bad guy' with deserting NW, he is one of my favourites. Besides, don't we need at least one familiar NW face at the Wall except Jon? Sam and Aemon will be gone, Grenn and Pyp are dead... I would prefer Edd to take a role of NW master at arms for example...

I love how if D&D decide not to use a line, just two guys out of how many millions that have read the books, it must mean they are right about what lines are meaningful and iconic and which ones aren't. :bs: :rolleyes:

I love how if D&D decide not to use a line, just two guys out of how many millions that have read the books, it must mean they are right about what lines are meaningful and iconic and which ones aren't. :bs: :rolleyes:

And I love how people on a forum apparently get to decide that a random line of dialogue is 'iconic' and more important than the action which accompanies it. Or that they are the 'real fans' because they talk about it on a forum.

And I love how people on a forum apparently get to decide that a random line of dialogue is 'iconic' and more important than the action which accompanies it. Or that they are the 'real fans' because they talk about it on a forum.

Then perhaps you should take that up with someone who has postings about who is and isn't a 'real fan.'

I do get to decide what is meaningful to me, be it action or dialogue. I also get to decide how I myself feel about what D&D put on the screen in relation to said dialogue and actions, as well as any of their omissions of the same. I also do know how to do math and regardless of their job description, they still are only two individuals in comparison to even the thousands here have read the books.

Hear, hear!

I mean, in the next HP remake, when Dumbledore asks Snape "After all this time?" he should replays "yeah, whatever".

Hear, hear!

I mean, in the next HP remake, when Dumbledore asks Snape "After all this time?" he should replays "yeah, whatever".

Fortunately for me, I have watched every HP movie more than once and I still have no clue what that means.

Then again, I am no True Fan. I and I do mean it this time. :cool4:

That D+D neither know nor care which lines/scenes are iconic to the fandom?

In any case, I suspect that it will be "Olly, fetch me a block" because I think Ed will be sent to Braavos with Sam and take on Dareon's role. He doesn't really do anything much in ADWD so they must have had some reason for keeping him around when Grenn and Pyp died. And given how grim and cynical he is it wouldn't be unbelievable for him to desert.

Eh, iconic. It's just certain lines becoming ever more meme-like for whatever reason. There certainly are great lines, Martin's books are full of them, but stuff like Only Cat, Edd, fetch me a block, or some of the sillier Dornish stuff like Vengeance, something, blah, fire and blood, I am of the night, etc, are really nothing to write home about.

However you want to call it, if you look at every "favorite line/quote" thread on the book forum, you'll see most of our favorites (and I don't consider all lines as just memes) have been cut from the show. This is not a D+D bash or anything, I do enjoy the show, but I wish they could have stayed closer to the books when it comes to dialogues.

Think that Only Cat can reasonably be described as iconic when it is used on its own to denote a whole scene. Whether it's iconic outside of these forums is another issue. Maybe the Goodreads quote selection is a better barometer? Dunno really https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/346732.George_R_R_Martin

“There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: “Not today.”

George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

I'm pretty sure this line was not in ther books

Then perhaps you should take that up with someone who has postings about who is and isn't a 'real fan.'

I do get to decide what is meaningful to me, be it action or dialogue. I also get to decide how I myself feel about what D&D put on the screen in relation to said dialogue and actions, as well as any of their omissions of the same. I also do know how to do math and regardless of their job description, they still are only two individuals in comparison to even the thousands here have read the books.

And Martin is only one person...does that mean he has to take everyone's advice on how to write his own story?

However you want to call it, if you look at every "favorite line/quote" thread on the book forum, you'll see most of our favorites (and I don't consider all lines as just memes) have been cut from the show. This is not a D+D bash or anything, I do enjoy the show, but I wish they could have stayed closer to the books when it comes to dialogues.

There's a difference between 'cut' and 'changed'. 'Only Cat' wasn't cut, it was simply changed into something that meant the same exact thing. To me, the dialogue doesn't matter as much as the action that accompanies it. Did Baelish still burn Lysa bad by saying he didn't love her as much as her sister right before he pushed her to her death? Check. Changing two words shouldn't matter as much as what he just did. People who don't memorize the books probably don't even remember exactly what he said- but they remember what he did.

Also, those 'favorite quote' threads end up listing hundreds and thousands of quotes, so it's not like they could possibly work in every single line of dialogue from the books.

And Martin is only one person...does that mean he has to take everyone's advice on how to write his own story?

There's a difference between 'cut' and 'changed'. 'Only Cat' wasn't cut, it was simply changed into something that meant the same exact thing. To me, the dialogue doesn't matter as much as the action that accompanies it. Did Baelish still burn Lysa bad by saying he didn't love her as much as her sister right before he pushed her to her death? Check. Changing two words shouldn't matter as much as what he just did. People who don't memorize the books probably don't even remember exactly what he said- but they remember what he did.

Also, those 'favorite quote' threads end up listing hundreds and thousands of quotes, so it's not like they could possibly work in every single line of dialogue from the books.

I know, I don't say they should include everything, but many of the quotes from that kind of threds could have easily been added (by this I mean the scene were they belong was adapted into the show), and yes some (most, actually) have been cut, not changed

I just have never understood the fascination on this forum with the "Only Cat" line. I mean, it was great and all, but I was pleased as punch with "your sister" too. I was literally grinning and laughing in a good way at that scene at how happy I was with how they brought both characters to life in it. Zero complains, except for the VFX of Lysa falling through the moondoor.

Now, I have to admit, "Edd, fetch me a block" is a favorite of mine. But again, I don't think I'll be too upset if it's missing, so long as the scene overall is done justice--Jon wants to throw (or was it hang?) Slynt from the Wall, has second thoughts, Slynt thinks it's because he's wussing out, and then Jon takes his head off. If it's well done I will be happy, with or without the line.

where did you hear that the high septon will be in 7 episodes??? thats actually too much imo

I can't provide a source but I think I saw someone posting something like that in the casting of season 5 thread. Sorry if I am unintentionally spreading bullshit.

lol i know you guys love stannis but he isn't charismatic enough to get as much screentime...as the lannisters per say

You mean Jaime and Tyrion, right? They are the only Lannisters who can be defined as charismatic in my opinion. Cersei is ten times more aggressive and just as grim as Stannis in the show, Tywin has his gravitas but he is humorless and uptight specially in the books in which "personality of a lobster" could be easily applied to him and Joffrey is universally hated. If they had kept Stannis' best lines in the books the reception of the character could have been different IMO.

Julian Glover who plays Pycelle and Anton Lesser who plays Qyburn both (according to their recent Flicks and the City interviews) apparently appear in five episodes next season. I think that's a decent indication the of sort of screentime that the characters surrounding Cersei and her rise-fall arc will get. If what they've said can be taken as gospel, then I can't see the High Septon having more appearances than they do.

I don't think anyone belittled anything here. I just think it's unwarranted to think that a thousand active posters (much less than that in all likelihood; how many names are present here on a regular basis? couple dozen?) is somehow "the beating heart" of show fandom that is millions upon millions strong. And it's even less warranted to think that showrunners have an obligation towards these people to include "iconic lines".

Again, you're misunderstanding what heart means in this context. It's supposed to refer to a small but dedicated part of a group of people here, and I don't see how you can deny the forum is anything other than that. Nor do I think D+D have an obligation to include certain lines. I just think it would be nice where they included, and I find it confusing that D+D would go out of their way to avoid those lines.

Archived