A Game of Screentime - Season 4

StannisEndGame

I think Tyrion's journey will require at least 8 episodes, probably 9. There's a lot stuff there, though if there's no Battle of Fire in S5 there's slightly less pressure. His story essentially has three acts: Journeying with Faegon and co; captured by Jorah; in the slave camps. My predictions:

• E1: Arrival at Pentos. Meets Illyrio and is told about the plan to join Dany. Tyrion and Varys set off with the crew of the Shy Maid (Comprising of The Griffs and Septa Lemore).
  • E2: Absent.
  • E3: On the Shy Maid. Plays Cyvasse with Varys for information.
  • E4: The Stone Men, reveal of Aegon's identity. Good episode ending.
  • E5: Cyvasse with Aegon. Captured by Jorah.
  • E6: Meeting with the Widow of the Waterfront. They get a ship to Meereen.
  • E7: Absent.
  • E8: On the ship. Bonding somewhat with Jorah. Captured by Slaver's.
  • E9: The auction. Tyrion and Jorah are sold off to The Yellow Whale.
  • E10: Daznak's Pit.

I dont see them holding Daznak's Pit that long.

It will happen around episode 8 I guess.

I loved your predictions up to episode 6 where I disagree.

I can see it going this way :

6 : Jorah and Tyrion captured by slavers.

7 - Jorah and Tyrion in chains. Slavers talk about the Silver Queen's opening pits and that Tyrion and Jorah will be sold to a Yunkaii Master who wants them for the show.

8 - Daznak Pit.

9 - Absent.

10 - Tyrion and Jorah in the Yunkaii camps around Meereen. Tyrion plots to get free and a position of power.

You could have Daznak's in E8 I suppose:

• E5: Captured by Jorah
  • E6: Absent
  • E7: On a boat to Meereen. Captured by Slavers.
  • E8: Auctioned off to the Yellow Whale. Daznak's pit.
  • E9: The Whale catches the Bloody Flux. Jorah and Tyrion escape the camps.
  • E10: Signing up with the Windblown (not the Second Sons). Convincing them to switch sides.

However that deprives E10 of a really good moment to finish the season off with, so something needs to fill that void.

I understand the need to flesh these two out given that some members of Dany's court didn't make it onto the show, and now that Jorah's left Barristan should see more screentime.

That being said I'm still not convinced by the idea of an Unsullied/romance plot.

"Even those who lack a man's parts may still have a man's heart, Your Grace." - Grey Worm, A Dance with Dragons

I'm wondering how this will all change next season after the enormous shake-up at the end of this one? We know that KL will become less important without Tywin or Tyrion, and Jaime will leave, so that will only leave the Cersei-Margaery storylines. I'm guessing more time will be devoted to the Wall since Stannis and his posse are there with Jon Snow. I'm going to assume that Tyrion's screentime will be scaled back in correlation with his reduced position in the story.

Very interesting, and great work!

^I don't know if Tyrion will be scaled back. Now he has a journey all of his own and only Jon has more chapters than him in the whole AFFC/ADWD combo. Same goes for Cersei who also has 12. Besides if she is gaining that amount of screentime while she isn't a POV character in the books imagine now that she is one. She will probably interact with Jaime in the beginning too so KL will be pretty big in my opinion. It seems to me she will appear in at least 9 episodes considering the High Septon is rumored to be in 7 (?) episodes? Alex Graves already said that two things that set the tone for season 5 is Cersei and Boltons ruling.

But I agree with the Wall part. A lot of main characters are at the Wall right now: Jon, Stannis, Samwell, Gilly, Davos and Melisandre although some of them may leave the North like their book counterparts. In fact there's more main characters in the North than in the South right now.

I just hope they dedicate enough time to Stannis and Jon interacting and Theon's journey toward redemption. Show!Theon has been stripped of most of his brave and competent moments so I hope they will give him a proper arc. Stannis needs to start making a huge impact as well. Can't stand Unsullied complaining he does nothing and calling him "hapless would-be-king" in "Melisandre's thralls", "emotionless creep" and "weak" anymore. Don't know how they will deal with Jon's politics and diplomacy with the wildlings. It's very interesting in the books but I think most TV viewers don't care for that.

^I don't know if Tyrion will be scaled back. Now he has a journey all of his own and only Jon has more chapters than him in the whole AFFC/ADWD combo. Same goes for Cersei who also has 12. Besides if she is gaining that amount of screentime while she isn't a POV character in the books imagine now that she is one. She will probably interact with Jaime in the beginning too so KL will be pretty big in my opinion. It seems to me she will appear in at least 9 episodes considering the High Septon is rumored to be in 7 (?) episodes? Alex Graves already said that two things that set the tone for season 5 is Cersei and Boltons ruling.

But I agree with the Wall part. A lot of main characters are at the Wall right now: Jon, Stannis, Samwell, Gilly, Davos and Melisandre although some of them may leave the North like their book counterparts. In fact there's more main characters in the North than in the South right now.

I just hope they dedicate enough time to Stannis and Jon interacting and Theon's journey toward redemption. Show!Theon has been stripped of most of his brave and competent moments so I hope they will give him a proper arc. Stannis needs to start making a huge impact as well. Can't stand Unsullied complaining he does nothing and calling him "hapless would-be-king" in "Melisandre's thralls", "emotionless creep" and "weak" anymore. Don't know how they will deal with Jon's politics and diplomacy with the wildlings. It's very interesting in the books but I think most TV viewers don't care for that.

where did you hear that the high septon will be in 7 episodes??? thats actually too much imo

Amazing that Ned's still in the top 10. He really did dominate that first season.

I'm also surprised that Jon and Theon are as high as they are. I know Jon had a whole episode devoted to him, and Theon got those endless torture scenes in S3, but overall it just feels like they are rarely on screen; certainly less than Arya or Sansa (in Jon's case) and characters like Sam, Jorah, and Tywin for Theon.

Amazing that Ned's still in the top 10. He really did dominate that first season.

I'm also surprised that Jon and Theon are as high as they are. I know Jon had a whole episode devoted to him, and Theon got those endless torture scenes in S3, but overall it just feels like they are rarely on screen; certainly less than Arya or Sansa (in Jon's case) and characters like Sam, Jorah, and Tywin for Theon.

well jon is a pretty bland character, and theon was only in a couple of episodes in season 4

I know it's completely unscientific since you can be in a scene and not do anything or that character scenes overlap but I do find it encouraging that if you add up the screen time of the people not on the show next year you have around 210 effective minutes of screen time to redistribute between me and old characters, out of about 860 minutes worth of time, so about 1/4th worth of character time has been freed up for next year.

That is a terrific observation, and I am interested to see how the show utilizes all the time that has been freed up by some of the deaths this previous season. I'm interested to find out, but at this point, I'm not really all that encouraged.

@StannisEndGame Great work on the list and the times, I just wanted to thank you for that. Also, shouldn't the Damn Beetles get a ranking? RME and LOL

Yeah, that's why I said 7. But I hope they (D&D and PD) are clever enough to know the show would benefit for a little less Tyrion next season.

Honestly, I bet DInklage would love the chance to play the greyer shades of Tyrion from the books. He looked bored himself while acting his way through some of the boring story that D&D have created for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is one that would like some of his own screentime to be for a story with more meat on the bones.

It's hard to figure out what some of the screentime may be next year......the LF transporter makes it hard to figure out how travelling could or would effect the movement from place to place, making it hard to figure out screentime for characters that use the transporter. There's really not much logic to many of the travel times for characters season by season, so who knows? I'd rather have quality than quantity for the characters, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the actors feel the same way.

well the characters that we know for a fact are going to get decent screentime because of the actors are: Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Jon, Dany and Margaery.

Arya and Sansa have to get decent screentimes too because of their fanbase. Everyone else......its not so obvious

well the characters that we know for a fact are going to get decent screentime because of the actors are: Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Jon, Dany and Margaery.

Arya and Sansa have to get decent screentimes too because of their fanbase. Everyone else......its not so obvious

I do agree, they'll all get decent screentime, also........Tyrion and Shae and the same conversation for a year is over, so that may help, LOL

I do agree, they'll all get decent screentime, also........Tyrion and Shae and the same conversation for a year is over, so that may help, LOL

now its going to be replaced with tyrion and jorah having the same conversation for a year. and samey bitchfights between cersei and margaery

well jon is a pretty bland character, and theon was only in a couple of episodes in season 4

I don't think he's bland, I think he is quiet because his position as a peon in the NW and amongst the Wildlings makes it where others are doing most of the talking.

now its going to be replaced with tyrion and jorah having the same conversation for a year. and samey bitchfights between cersei and margaery

LOL, Jorah's voice is so perfect, he could read the phonebook to me and I'd be good with it.

I wonder how the Marg and Cersei stuff will go down, I was a bit weirded out by Cersei making nice with Marg that time Tommon sat the Throne. Then again, I'm sure Marg was weirded out, too.

Archived