Season 5 Casting v.2

Chebyshov

What we know:

A Season 5 casting leak shows that the following characters will appear next year:

• Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.
  • Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.
  • Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.

The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):

• Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.
  • Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.
  • Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.
  • High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.
  • Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.
  • Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.
  • Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.
  • Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.
  • The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we underst

A second casting leak added:

• Varamyr: Dubbed Varamyr Sixskins in the book series, the wildling skinchanger initially appears in A Storm of Swords when he takes possession of the late Orell’s eagle, and takes on his scout role as well with Mance Rayder’s army. The book describes Varamyr as a small man, bald and grey-faced with round shoulders. The show is supposedly looking to cast an actor in the 35-45 year old age range. It’s unclear what position Varamyr will take on in the fifth season as his introduction point in the books has already passed in the show.
  • Imogen: A 12 year old blonde girl. It’s speculated that this may actually be the casting call for young Cersei. Given that there is no Imogen in the books, and we’ve heard that Game of Thrones is auditioning girls for the role of young Cersei, this seems likely.
  • Brunette girl: 12 years old. There’s no additional information about this part. For book-related possibilities, our best guess with regards to the role is probably Melara, a girl involved in young Cersei’s story with the fortuneteller Maggy the Frog.

A Tyene audition tape was removed, but the transcript is as follows:

Transcript of Video

Tyene: He has a good voice.
Obara: He's a singer, if he was a fighter we might've been in trouble.
Bronn: It's against my code to hurt women.
Obara: It's amazing how many men we beat seem to have this code.
Bronn: I wouldn't say you beat me.
Tyene: And how is your arm?
Bronn: Wonderful. Wouldn't feel right to leave Dorne without a new scar.
Obara: You think you're leaving Dorne?
Bronn: No great hurry. Dornish women are the most beautiful in the world.
Tyene: Thank you.
Bronn: I said Dornish women, I didn't say you.
Tyene: I'm not the most beautiful woman you have ever seen?
Bronn: I've seen quite a few women in all the Seven Kingdoms.
Tyene: Tell me one woman more beautiful than I am.
Bronn: Well, now in King's Landing there was an absolute...
Tyene: There was a what? In King's Landing you were saying...
Bronn: Was I?
Tyene: ...there is a woman more beautiful than I am.
Bronn: Was there? My memory's not what it was earlier.
Tyene: And how is your arm now.
Bronn: You seem concerned with it. You must really like me.
Tyene: And how is your head?
Bronn: My head? You don't even want to know what's going on in there.
Tyene: What was that, are you sure you're feeling alright?
Bronn: Sure, a bit woozy but that's to be expected after a good dust-up.
Tyene: Your nose is bleeding.
Bronn: It's not it's the dry air.
Tyene: My dagger was coated with a special ointment from Asshai. It's called the Long Farewell. It can take some time to work some times several days. But if one single drop makes contact with the skin...death.
Tyene: The only antidote. Who is the most beautiful woman in the world? Who? Who, sorry?
Bronn: You.
She takes whatever the antidote it is from or off of her necklace and gives it to him.
Tyene: Don't drop it. I think you're very handsome as well.
She blows him a kiss and laughs.

An Obara audition tape was also leaked, revealing that Jaime will be in Dorne in Season 5. I cannot find the audition tape, but here is the transcript:

OBARA – Admit defeat Tyene. Nym’s mother taught her the whip before the knife and fork.

Woman Off Camera – Mother, Nym, Obara.

OBARA- Will it be war?

Woman Off Camera – Prince Doran will weep for your father but nothing else. We must avenge Oberyn ourselves.

OBARA – Without Doran we have no army to march against the Lannisters.

Woman Off Camera – We don’t need an army to start a war. Queen Cersei loathes everyone and we are one of them. Queen Cersei loves her children and we have one of them (my edits)

OBARA – Now you may have a problem.

Woman Off Camera – What’s that?

OBARA – A ship’s captain came to me in Plankytown claiming to have information to sell. I paid. He told me he smuggled Jaime Lannister into Dorne. Now he paid.

Woman Off Camera – The Kingslayer did not go to Prince Doran?

OBARA – No, they rode him ashore in secret.

Woman Off Camera – Why? He did not know. You must chose Doran’s way and peace or my way and war.

OBARA – When I was a child. Oberyn came to take me to court. I had never seen this man before yet he called himself my father. My mother wept and said you are too young and a girl. Oberyn tossed his spear at my feet and said girl or boy we fight our battles but the gods let us chose our weapons. My father pointed to the spear and to my mother’s tears. I made my choice long ago.

There has been a leaked Tryst audition tape found here: http://vimeo.com/96141768

EDIT 6/22: The Tyrstane audition tape has been removed; I can't find a transcript (nor can I remember it verbatim), but in essense, Trystane is seducing Myrcella, claiming they're in love, and that he'll ask Doran[?] tomorrow for permission to marry. Myrcella is reluctant because her "parents" weren't exactly in love, but Tryst is trying to brush that off. I believe he asks her to meet him in a secluded spot later.

What we think:

It is rumored that Myrcella, who is to have a larger role next season than in the books, has been recast: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/17/myrcella-recast-rumored/

6/22 update:

It is rumored that Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H'ghar) is returning to the "main cast" in Season 5. Many are speculating that he will be taking on the role of the Kindly Man, rather than his Citadel arc (which would explain why his original face would be back. http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/23/familiar-face-returning-game-thrones-season-5/

A+ for the dedication to type that all out.

By the way, now looking at it altogether, it really does seem next season will be very Cersei-centric.

Thanks! Luckily I found the transcripts online, lol.

The High Sparrow appearing in "several episodes" does seem to indicate a lot of Cersei, not to mention they're willing to do a flashback (for the first time every) just to help us understand her motivations. I'm hoping for more flashbacks, but I could see Maggy the Frog being the season's cold open, and then sticking in the present for the rest of it.

I'm wondering if we'll meet the HS before he gets to KL, i.e. if the Meribald = HS theories are correct (and they bother to have Brienne bump into them). I'm not sure what else Brienne will do, or where she'll possibly go from the Vale.

this the same dude that said he was going to murder his sister in law?

To be fair, that's exactly what he would say to a sexy lady. And I doubt he actually went easy on them, they probably kicked his ass.

EDIT: Which plays right into Nymeria's line "How many guys we beat up said that?"

I wonder what they're going to do with Varamyr.

They're going to have to start addressing Jon's ability to warg, aren't they? If so, they may need Varamyr as maybe a warg who passes through the Wall and tells Jon what the deal is. I'm wondering if we're ever going to get Arya and her wolf-dreams. Supposedly she'll be warging a cat next season.

Cersei's walk would be an appropriately dramatic capper for KL next season. I'm also seeing some signs that suggest that the ADWD epilogue will be left out:

1. Kevan is AWOL.

2. Varys is headed to Essos.

3. Possibly no Aegon.

And so on. None of this is insurmountable: Kevan could come back, Aegon could have already been cast, Varys could make it back to Westeros by the end of the season, etc. Viewed in sum, it does make me wonder, though.

I'm also curious where Season 5 will leave things relative to TWOW. Budgeting only one season for TWOW seems modest, to say the least. They could do what they did in Season 4 and start frontloading material from later books, I guess.

What we know:

A Season 5 casting leak shows that the following characters will appear next year:

• Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.
  • Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.
  • Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.

The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):

• Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.
  • Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.
  • Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.
  • High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.
  • Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.
  • Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.
  • Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.
  • Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.
  • The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we underst
A second casting leak added:
  • Varamyr: Dubbed Varamyr Sixskins in the book series, the wildling skinchanger initially appears in A Storm of Swords when he takes possession of the late Orell’s eagle, and takes on his scout role as well with Mance Rayder’s army. The book describes Varamyr as a small man, bald and grey-faced with round shoulders. The show is supposedly looking to cast an actor in the 35-45 year old age range. It’s unclear what position Varamyr will take on in the fifth season as his introduction point in the books has already passed in the show.
  • Imogen: A 12 year old blonde girl. It’s speculated that this may actually be the casting call for young Cersei. Given that there is no Imogen in the books, and we’ve heard that Game of Thrones is auditioning girls for the role of young Cersei, this seems likely.
  • Brunette girl: 12 years old. There’s no additional information about this part. For book-related possibilities, our best guess with regards to the role is probably Melara, a girl involved in young Cersei’s story with the fortuneteller Maggy the Frog.
A Tyene audition tape was removed, but the transcript is as follows:

Transcript of Video

Tyene: He has a good voice.

Obara: He's a singer, if he was a fighter we might've been in trouble.

Bronn: It's against my code to hurt women.

Obara: It's amazing how many men we beat seem to have this code.

Bronn: I wouldn't say you beat me.

Tyene: And how is your arm?

Bronn: Wonderful. Wouldn't feel right to leave Dorne without a new scar.

Obara: You think you're leaving Dorne?

Bronn: No great hurry. Dornish women are the most beautiful in the world.

Tyene: Thank you.

Bronn: I said Dornish women, I didn't say you.

Tyene: I'm not the most beautiful woman you have ever seen?

Bronn: I've seen quite a few women in all the Seven Kingdoms.

Tyene: Tell me one woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Well, now in King's Landing there was an absolute...

Tyene: There was a what? In King's Landing you were saying...

Bronn: Was I?

Tyene: ...there is a woman more beautiful than I am.

Bronn: Was there? My memory's not what it was earlier.

Tyene: And how is your arm now.

Bronn: You seem concerned with it. You must really like me.

Tyene: And how is your head?

Bronn: My head? You don't even want to know what's going on in there.

Tyene: What was that, are you sure you're feeling alright?

Bronn: Sure, a bit woozy but that's to be expected after a good dust-up.

Tyene: Your nose is bleeding.

Bronn: It's not it's the dry air.

Tyene: My dagger was coated with a special ointment from Asshai. It's called the Long Farewell. It can take some time to work some times several days. But if one single drop makes contact with the skin...death.

Tyene: The only antidote. Who is the most beautiful woman in the world? Who? Who, sorry?

Bronn: You.

She takes whatever the antidote it is from or off of her necklace and gives it to him.

Tyene: Don't drop it. I think you're very handsome as well.

She blows him a kiss and laughs.

An Obara audition tape was also leaked, revealing that Jaime will be in Dorne in Season 5. I cannot find the audition tape, but here is the transcript:

OBARA – Admit defeat Tyene. Nym’s mother taught her the whip before the knife and fork. Will it be war?

Woman Off Camera – Prince Doran will weep for your father but nothing else. We must avenge Oberyn ourselves.

OBARA – Without Doran we have no army to march against the Lannisters.

Woman Off Camera – We don’t need an army to start a war. Queen Cersei loathes everyone and we are one of them. Queen Cersei loves her children and we have one of them (my edits)

OBARA – Now you may have a problem.

Woman Off Camera – What’s that?

OBARA – A ship’s captain came to me in Plankytown claiming to have information to sell. I paid. He told me he smuggled Jaime Lannister into Dorne. Now he paid.

Woman Off Camera – The Kingslayer did not go to Prince Doran?

OBARA – No, they rode him ashore in secret.

Woman Off Camera – Why? He did not know. You must chose Doran’s way and peace or my way and war.

OBARA – When I was a child. Oberyn came to take me to court. I had never seen this man before yet he called himself my father. My mother wept and said you are too young and a girl. Oberyn tossed his spear at my feet and said girl or boy we fight our battles but the gods let us chose our weapons. My father pointed to the spear and to my mother’s tears. I made my choice long ago.

There has been a leaked Tryst audition tape found here: http://vimeo.com/96141768

What we think:

It is rumored that Myrcella, who is to have a larger role next season than in the books, has been recast: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/17/myrcella-recast-rumored/

you missed the mother nym obara line.

Responding to Ran from the previous thread:

As others said, she just directs what they provide her. She does some very fine things -- her approach to the "wolf cam", for example, was great (no surprise,
Breaking Bad is well-known for its trick shots), and she has a great eye for angles and camera positioning. The shot of Cersei and Jaime separated by the width of a bed, say, was pretty neat.

As to the Dreadfort, again, he had to deal with what they gave him. They write, it's his to turn it into visuals. Cogman notes that they had had much more expansive plans for the sequence, including a bigger fight with more people involved and so on, but for production reasons it got trimmed down to the bone. Given what he had to work with, my only real issue is his not pointing out that Yara could have thrown that ax into Ramsay's head..

And as I said previously, I'm not blaming McLaren for the bad writing at the Crasterfck (that was Cogman), but *in addition* to not liking the writing, I hated the way the scenes were filmed...I was unimpressed by the Wolf Cam, and I thought the action was almost comically bad. I was almost surprised not to hear a three-stooges "BOINK" sound when Locke bumped the handing thing, for example. I thought pretty much everything about the scenes was horrible -- it's my second most hated part of season 4. I'm not saying she did everything badly, but pointing out a good King's Landing scene in response to a criticism of the Crasterfck scenes misses one of the major problems with this season -- almost all of the King's Landing scenes appear to have been given much more effort (writing, acting, and directing) than the other locations [the notable exception being The Mountain and The Viper].

As far as the Dreadfort goes, again, Cogman is writing culprit, but the acting and directing was IMO quite horrible -- it was my *most* hated scene this season. As was mentioned in the discussion of the episode, it looks like parts of the scene were cut before broadcast...Ramsay teleporting from his sort-of sex scene to the final battle, having apparently fought through the Ironborn's baddest-ass warriors in pajama bottoms and only having a few scratches that looked like he got them from the sex part of his scene? Asha not throwing the axe sucked, and so did the sudden cut to the Ironborn running away while Ramsay is whooping it up to "Who Let the Dogs Out".

It's ok if you actually like the direction those scenes were given, but please accept that I disagree and think that the direction sucked *in addition* to the bad writing. Those are my most hated scenes because I think *everything* about them sucked. I'd rather see the show give new directors a shot than bring back the two responsible for the things I hated most this season.

Robbie Coltraine would make a perfect Lord Wyman Manderly. He has the size and acting chops to bring the depth and gravitas needed to a character that is pretending to be an oaf while being cunning at the same time.

f they do have a Young Griff then Jamie Campbell Bower would be a good choice.

I have no idea where this goes, but it just occurred to me, so I will put it here....

The shooting of the prophecy scene...seems to indicate that it's a real thing, no? That it is going to come true and have importance down the stretch...otherwise why bother putting it in, when there is already plenty of external reasons for Cersei to be crazy and paranoid...

I have no idea where this goes, but it just occurred to me, so I will put it here....

The shooting of the prophecy scene...seems to indicate that it's a real thing, no? That it is going to come true and have importance down the stretch...otherwise why bother putting it in, when there is already plenty of external reasons for Cersei to be crazy and paranoid...

Did anyone ever doubt it?

I think so, or at least didn't like that element, I am kind of surprised they're keeping it in, since they tend to downplay the supernatural element to a degree, I expected them to leave it out, but if theyr'e going to actually re enact the whole thing, it must be important to the end game, e.g. we're getting the valonquar, and the odds went up dramatically that Tommen and Myrcella are dead people walking.

Hopefully this will also finally get people to STFU about Cersei not pushing Melara down the well, LOL.

Well, there's a ton of prophecies in the books. The fact that this is the only one we're seeing included (so far) is pointed. Did we ever hear anything about AA or TPTWP? I can't remember if Mel said anything of the sort.

Edit: I guess we can count the 3-eyed crow as being included

Archived