The Fate of Gerion Lannister: Corsair King

Fire Eater

About Gerion Lannister

Tyrion

He [Tommen II] had never returned; nor had Uncle Gery, the youngest and most reckless of his father's brothers, who had gone seeking after the lost sword some eight years past.

-ASoS Tyrion IV

"He [Tywin] was not the same man after she [Joanna] died Imp," Uncle Gery had told him once. The best part of him died with her." Gerion had been the youngest of Lord Tytos Lannister's four sons and the uncle Tyrion liked best.

But he was gone now, lost beyond the seas.

-ASoS Tyrion V

His Uncle Gerion thought that was the funniest thing he had ever heard [Tyrion asking for a dragon little like he was].

-ADwD Tyrion II

His Uncle Gerion set him on tables at feasts to recite them.

-ADwD Tyrion III

Back then his uncle Gerion had been on hand to praise his efforts, in place of surly sailors.

-ADwD Tyrion III

Almost a decade had passed since the Laughing Lion headed out of Lannisport, and Gerion had never returned.

-ADwD Tyrion VIII

Jaime

Gerion had given him [Robert] a gilded dagger with an ivory grip and a sapphire pommel for a wedding gift

-ASoS Jaime IX

Gerion made japes. Better to mock the game than to play and lose.

-AFfC Jaime V

"Joy is my late uncle Gerion's natural daughter." . . . her father had been Jaime's favorite uncle.

-AFfC Jaime VII

Like the Starks, the Lannisters have a lost uncle, Gerion "Gery" Lannister, who sailed to Valyria on the Laughing Lion. He was Jaime and Tyrion's favorite uncle, and from the sound of it had been more of a father to Tyrion than Tywin had. He has been mentioned many times, and no body was produced, so I doubt we aren't going to see him.

"The Laughing Lion" was Tytos's nickname, so the ship Gerion sailed on was named for his father. Tytos was no warrior and never knighted, and had a good sense of humor. Gerion unlike his brothers, many other adult Lannisters and highborn non-lordly Southerners, doesn't have a "ser" before his name in the appendix, meaning he was never knighted. He was also kind as exemplified by his treatment of Tyrion, and good at making people laugh. Gerion may have been very much his father's son. I think he was the brother Tywin hated most given that he was a living reminder of their father, Tytos, and Tywin could likely have blamed Gerion for their mother's death a month after his birth like Tywin blamed Tyrion for Joanna's death.

I also think he was the husband who supposedly died at sea for the Sailor's Wife at the Happy Port with Lanna being his daughter. I think Tywin may have found out, and we saw what he did when Tyrion married Tysha. Tywin would no doubt have been pissed, and found another reason to be angry at Gerion.

His Fate

Only three days past I showed these same Unsullied to a corsair king who hopes to buy them all

A new corsair king had risen in the Basilisk Isles and raided Tall Trees Town

This corsair king is mentioned twice throughout the series, and I think we will eventually bump into him.

Gerion had never returned. The men Lord Tywin sent to seek after him had traced his course as far as Volantis, where half his crew had deserted him and he had bought slaves to replace them.

I think that could tie to Gerion being the corsair king with both men looking to buy slaves for their crews.

Of course, if Gerion is the corsair king, then he would have to have a reason for not coming home. In Westeros, he was a member of the wealthiest family and brother to the most powerful lord with a life of luxury at CR, an inheritance from his father and access to the gold of CR. In Essos, he was a nobody without a penny to his name.

I guess that Tywin paid the crew of the Laughing Lion to throw Gerion overboard so he would cause no more disgrace for House Lannister, knowing that it would not surprise anyone if he disappeared as all the voyagers to the Smoking Sea did. Tywin would say it wasn't kinslaying since he didn't do the deed himself. He never does, he always has his underlings do it. They could have thrown him overboard on the trek from Volantis to Valyria as few ships ever come that close to the ruins of the Freehold and the Smoking Sea, with a good certainty that he would drown. Of course, Gerion got lucky like Davos on the spears of the Merling King in ASoS, when a ship was blown off course, and found him.

What does this have to do with the plot?

A good question. I think Tyrion and Dany will bump into him on their way back to Westeros. They could catch him preying on a few ships that were scattered from the main fleet as pirates are wont to do. Tyrion would come upon the corsairs, possibly on Viserion, only to recognize him, and have a warm family reunion.

I think Tyrion would have Gerion be made Dany's master-of-ships. Gerion would be a different, harder man having risen to corsair king from the bottom up without a penny or a ship to speak of. He would have at most eight years of naval combat experience, and one doesn't become a corsair king being slow of sword, a coward or a bad captain. He would have shown daring and abilities as a commander in marine assaults in his raid on Tall Trees Town. He would not doubt get along fine with the men of the Iron Fleet, given along with also being a pirate he is charismatic with an ability to make men smile. He would also add his own pirate fleet.

She dismounted beside a gaming pit where a basilisk was tearing a big red dog to pieces amidst a shouting ring of sailors.

and wait for the bitch queen in King's Landing to let Lord Paxter off his leash

The fight is between a basilisk and a red dog in a group of sailors. I think Gerion, who was based from the Basilisk Isles, will be engaging the Redwyne fleet, with Redwyne being compared to a dog, in a naval battle or battle between sailors in the second Dance. I think he will target Paxter Redwyne's flagship, the Arbor Queen, killing Redwyne in single combat, possibly armed with Brightroar (not that I think he found it, but got it from Tyrion who did visit Valyria on dragonback and found it). I also think he would lead the assault on Planky Town and up the Greenblood when Dany and Tyrion invade Dorne (taking a page from Daeron I and Oakenfist), as again, he has experience and competence with marine assaults as demonstrated at Tall Trees Town .

Interesting, but I don't see it. I think he's just there to be seen as an alternate Tywin, and maybe soften the reader's view on the Lannisters a little. If they're not all bad, then maybe there's hope for Tyrion and/or Jaime.

That doesn't mean he isn't still alive and causing trouble around Essos, just that I doubt we'll see him.

Interesting, but I don't see it. I think he's just there to be seen as an alternate Tywin, and maybe soften the reader's view on the Lannisters a little. If they're not all bad, then maybe there's hope for Tyrion and/or Jaime.

That doesn't mean he isn't still alive and causing trouble around Essos, just that I doubt we'll see him.

Why would we need an alternate to Tywin when we already have Tytos for that? I think Tyrion and Jaime softened the view enough along with all the other Lannisters like Daven and Genna.

I don't see why he is mentioned so often unless it has a purpose to the story.

I like what I read an I hope we see Gerion.If Tywin did in fact try an have Gerion killed then it would be fitting for Tyrion to run into his uncle since Gerion was his favorite uncle since he killed his father. If Gerion comes back he will be Danys master of ships .

I thought it was implied that Gerion Lannister is dead. I can't remember if it's a Sam or Arya (Braavos) chapter.

The whore who marries every man she bangs has a daughter (can't remember if it's mentioned what she looks like) named Lanna. The old magical lady tells her that her sailor husband (her first husband) is dead.

Gerion looks like a nice man. Doesn't he sounds like someone who could have seen at Tyrion and made the same "awwww" sound that Elia did when he was a baby? I hope he's fine.

He gave Tyrion the encouragement and support he needed compared to Tywin. While Tywin brought Tyrion down, Gerion built him up. I think you could see his influence on Jaime and Tyrion with their wit, and Jaime pretty much described as laughing at everything. Like I said, I think Gerion was very much his father Tytos's son. Tytos may have been among the worst lords, but he was a good man.

He gave Tyrion the encouragement and support he needed compared to Tywin. While Tywin brought Tyrion down, Gerion built him up. I think you could see his influence on Jaime and Tyrion with their wit, and Jaime pretty much described as laughing at everything. Like I said, I think Gerion was very much his father Tytos's son. Tytos may have been among the worst lords, but he was a good man.

You are drawing a whole lot of conclusions based on at most three or four paragraphs worth of references in a narrative around 5,000 pages long and counting. No offense but I think it might be a case of "I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it"

You are drawing a whole lot of conclusions based on at most three or four paragraphs worth of references in a narrative around 5,000 pages long and counting. No offense but I think it might be a case of "I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it"

Gerion and Tygget Lannister did look like nice men to Tyrion, he remembers them in that way. Maybe it was easy to relate to him because 1. He wasn't their son and 2. he was a child then. But either way, they treated him better than Tywin. Even Kevan.

Gerion treated Tyrion decently, and he didn't become his favorite uncle for nothing. He had Tyrion recite Votar at feasts, and Tyrion liked proving "what a clever imp" he was. Tytos's description sounds like Gerion with what we have seen and heard.

There is no rule regarding how much one should be mentioned for them to appear. Connington was mentioned about as often as Gerion, and he proved to be actually alive in ADwD, and now working to put Aegon on the IT.

Why would GRRM have Gerion mentioned that often? He wasn't Rhaegar whose death held a lot significance for Westerosi politics and the main story; he was the youngest son of Lord Tytos with all three of his older brothers having sons of their own. His death would have little and less importance regarding the main storyline and Westerosi politics.

Gerion and Tygget Lannister did look like nice men to Tyrion, he remembers them in that way. Maybe it was easy to relate to him because 1. He wasn't their son and 2. he was a child then. But either way, they treated him better than Tywin. Even Kevan.

I agree but I just don't think he has a greater purpose in this story than simple character development of Tyrion and to a lesser extent Jaime.

I agree but I just don't think he has a greater purpose in this story than simple character development of Tyrion and to a lesser extent Jaime.

Well, first we would need to define "purpose", we don't know if there is something planned for him, specially with so many characters now sailing to Essos and with chances to meet him.

And, as many others have said, I doubt he's just being mentioned for no reason than just Tyrion's development. He's not just mentioning that he had a nice uncle who treated him well, but that such uncle conveniently was lost around the place where he's quite close to now. Does GRRM foreshadows like this? Yep. Connington was quite mentioned during book three and four before appearing alive in book 5, so, it wouldn't be that odd if it happens.

Gerion treated Tyrion decently, and he didn't become his favorite uncle for nothing. He had Tyrion recite Votar at feasts, and Tyrion liked proving "what a clever imp" he was. Tytos's description sounds like Gerion with what we have seen and heard.

There is no rule regarding how much one should be mentioned for them to appear. Connington was mentioned about as often as Gerion, and he proved to be actually alive in ADwD, and now working to put Aegon on the IT.

Why would GRRM have Gerion mentioned that often? He wasn't Rhaegar whose death held a lot significance for Westerosi politics and the main story; he was the youngest son of Lord Tytos with all three of his older brothers having sons of their own. His death would have little and less importance regarding the main storyline and Westerosi politics.

My point is GRRM doesn't mention him very much. McUmber gets roughly the same amount of ink. Do you think they really live in a giant blue eye? The Ghost Grass gets a fair amount of love too. So I guess we're all wasting our time speculating about the ending from your perspective. Because by your logic the Ghost Grass must have a role to play because its mentioned so often. I can save you some time guy the series ends with everything and everyone everywhere being consumed by the Ghost Grass. Hell what about the she-bear Tormund fucked? He never shuts up about it so she must be important right? Its called world building. These tiny little details enrich any story they fill in the blanks "between the panels" to crib a line from Super. GRRM is considered a master of it so is it maybe possible that he just included Gerion to help flesh out the Lannisters as a family and as individuals? Not get on my high horse but If you're answer is a definitive no then I am unconvinced of your impartiality and by extension your conclusions.

Well, first we would need to define "purpose", we don't know if there is something planned for him, specially with so many characters now sailing to Essos and with chances to meet him.

And, as many others have said, I doubt he's just being mentioned for no reason than just Tyrion's development. He's not just mentioning that he had a nice uncle who treated him well, but that such uncle conveniently was lost around the place where he's quite close to now. Does GRRM foreshadows like this? Yep. Connington was quite mentioned during book three and four before appearing alive in book 5, so, it wouldn't be that odd if it happens.

See my previous post. I eagerly await your theory of how Tormund's she-bear will be crucial to defeating the White Walkers. Sorry guys no sale.

My point is GRRM doesn't mention him very much. McUmber gets roughly the same amount of ink. Do you think they really live in a giant blue eye? The Ghost Grass gets a fair amount of love too. So I guess we're all wasting our time speculating about the ending from your perspective. Because by your logic the Ghost Grass must have a role to play because its mentioned so often. I can save you some time guy the series ends with everything and everyone everywhere being consumed by the Ghost Grass. Hell what about the she-bear Tormund fucked? He never shuts up about it so he must be important right? Its called world building. These tiny little details enrich any story they fill in the blanks "between the panels" to crib a line from Super. GRRM is considered a master of it so is it maybe possible that he just included Gerion to help flesh out the Lannisters as a family and as individuals? Not get on my high horse but If you're answer is a definitive no then I am unconvinced of your impartiality and by extension your conclusions.

Crowfood we actually meet. You have a false analogy, ghost grass is only mentioned twice, and is not a person whereas Gerion is mentioned at least eight times, and would contribute to the plot. The she-bear is only mentioned once, and would contribute nothing to the plot, another false analogy, no offense. IMO, you are going nowhere with those arguments, no offense. I have been studying the text for years.

I think the Lannisters are already fleshed out without having to mention Gerion with Lancel, Genna, Kevan, Tywin, Jaime, Tytos, Cersei, Daven and Tyrion.

You are presenting a false dichotomy, where you conveniently place me as partial if I don't agree with you on an argument.

Crowfood we actually meet. You have a false analogy, ghost grass is only mentioned twice, and is not a person whereas Gerion is mentioned at least eight times, and would contribute to the plot. The she-bear is only mentioned once, and would contribute nothing to the plot, another false analogy, no offense. IMO, you are going nowhere with those arguments, no offense. I have been studying the text for years.

I think the Lannisters are already fleshed out without having to mention Gerion with Lancel, Genna, Kevan, Tywin, Jaime, Tytos, Cersei, Daven and Tyrion.

You are presenting a false dichotomy, where you conveniently place me as partial if I don't agree with you on an argument.

Actually guy what you meant to say is that I was drawing what is called a "false equivalency" and no I wasn't. Remind me again how many times is Gerion Lannister mentioned in the text? I can literally count them on one hand. Not for nothing I looked it up there is less than a page all told in the entire series that references him. Also since we're nit picking the Ghost grass is actually mentioned three times. Bear in mind Gerion Lannister is only mentioned four. So no it wasn't a false equivalency you just want it to be because if I'm correct it clearly refutes the logic your assertion is based on. Sorry dude but it takes more than a few word-a-day calendar buzz terms to scare me off. This is what I'm talking about when I say this site needs skeptics. In any event its clear you don't actually want to discuss the merit of my position just try to confuse me with big words so I'm not going to waste the time responding again.

Actually guy what you meant to say is that I was drawing what is called a "false equivalency" and no I wasn't. Remind me again how many times is Gerion Lannister mentioned in the text?

Eight or more times

I can literally count them on one hand. Not for nothing I looked it up there is less than a page all told in the entire series that references him. Also since we're nit picking the Ghost grass is actually mentioned three times. Bear in mind Gerion Lannister is only mentioned four.

And the number of times Connington is mentioned before ADwD? Four to five times. Ghost frass still has little to contribute to the plot. Gerion Lannister is mentioned eight times if one actually made the effort to count the quotations above.

So no it wasn't a false equivalency you just want it to be because if I'm correct it clearly refutes the logic your assertion is based on. Sorry dude but it takes more than a few word-a-day calendar buzz terms to scare me off. This is what I'm talking about when I say this site needs skeptics. In any event its clear you don't actually want to discuss the merit of my position just try to confuse me with big words so I'm not going to waste the time responding again.

It was a false equivalency since Gerion is mentioned as frequently as Connington before ADwD, and we have not been given a body. Try to confuse you with big words? Conveniently and dichotomy are big words? The terms I used are two words, and you just might actually learn something. I am pointing out logical fallacies made in one's argument in my counter-argument. Is it wrong for me to point out that which would weaken your argument so you can debate better? I am debating the merit if you paid attention, no offense. You talked of little else, not providing text that could disprove my theory.

Also i think he met with Red Ralf and the third of Victarion´s fleet that went south, since so many of his ships are missing.. Red Ralf himself.

Red Ralf was sent along the corsair's road to raid the Basilisk Isles with around thirty-three ships, and only nine of his ships arrived at the Isle of Cedars. I don't think it is unlikely that he could have bumped into Gerion, given Gerion's port base is in the Basilisk Isles, and likely has a pirate fleet as large as Ralf's or larger, and would have responded to his depredations with force.

Archived