Question about Maesters

Hi, guys. I was reading about Maesters and I could not find an answer to my question; Do all Houses of Westeros, from big to small, receive a Maester? It is said that Houses must pay the Citadel for the Maesters, so it figures that there should be poor Houses with no Maester, doesn't it?

Regards.

I figure any family with any sort of noble status (I.E. their own castle, lands) would at least have a Maester. That's actually a decent question, though. I'm trying to think of any significant houses (even down to briefly mentioned houses like the Fossoways) that were ever described as "poor". Certainly they're not all Lannisters, but I'd have to think even the smaller houses would have a Maester. Now, characters like Bronn? Something tells me they grew up without one. I.E. characters from families so low we don't get last names :[

This is all speculation and I'm likely dead wrong. We know the Umbers have a Maester, the Boltons, Karstark...these houses aren't ever described as particularly wealthy but they're still noble houses. Hard to imagine them wanting.

Another question does a maester only serve the importNt people in the castle (lord, his family, guards, and othef workers) or do they also help smallfolk? I knkw bran mentioned lewin would help anyone so is that cause hes a genuinely good guy and starks are honorable or is a measter honor bound to help anyone kinda like the oaths drs take

Another question does a maester only serve the importNt people in the castle (lord, his family, guards, and othef workers) or do they also help smallfolk? I knkw bran mentioned lewin would help anyone so is that cause hes a genuinely good guy and starks are honorable or is a measter honor bound to help anyone kinda like the oaths drs take

I think that depends on the Lord of the castle. If the Lord asks his maester to look after, for example, that one servent who is terribly ill, than the maester will do so. If the lord has stated he doesn´t want such a thing, I image the maester doesn´t bother.

Hi, guys. I was reading about Maesters and I could not find an answer to my question; Do all Houses of Westeros, from big to small, receive a Maester? It is said that Houses must pay the Citadel for the Maesters, so it figures that there should be poor Houses with no Maester, doesn't it?

Regards.

Where was that stated? I can't remember that.

Archived