The Boltons seem to be one of the more underdeveloped houses in Westeros..

In terms of how George has represented them in the story. We only know three of them by name (Roose, Ramsay and Domeric) and all we know is that they've hated the Starks for thousands(?) of years, perhaps less openly in the past hundred years or so, and hold to some pretty grizzly traditions. I'm hoping beyond hope that there will be some further detail of the flayed men in the highly anticipated A World of Ice and Fire, which I'll of course be getting either way.

I know I can't be the only schmuck with an interest in more of the Bolton history. Something about the family has always intrigued me on a morbid level, particularly because of the events that transpire at Winterfell with Theon during ACoK, (the ADwD material is gripping in it's horror and despair as well, though when I first realized what was happening at the end of Clash, I was beyond stunned.) Even more information on Ramsay's mother would be hungrily devoured. I'm crossing my fingers for a family tree, but perhaps they're not meant to be too fleshed out...

(pun not intended)

I think Bolton history may be important later, and that's why they are still kind of a question mark. I think the Boltons are a magical house in some way, possibly with connections with the Others.

I'm not sure that I subscribe to the theory that House Bolton is in league with the Others. It's an interesting notion, one that I've toyed with in the past. How did Ramsay's mother simply stride through the Dreadfort and demand something of Roose Bolton without consequence? Still, the supernatural aspect seems too deep for them, and lessens their impact in my eyes. I much prefer them as the Machiavellian bastards that they seem to be, still, I could be wrong and their could certainly be some connection. Bolton and Stark have always opposed each other. Perhaps symbolically Stark = Old Gods/Bolton = Others in some way. I tend to not think so.

Ramsay's past is mysterious but we know that he reffers to himself as a true son of Roose Bolton, not a bastard, before Moat Cailin when he sends Theon's "toy" to Pyke.

I also think that the Boltons kinda go with the power, they didn't hesitate to betray the Starks. Roose even said at some point that Robb did never follow his advice. And is it just me, or Roose is really creepy ? I mean he has a flayed man on their flags and I've read something about his unusual treatments with blood leeches

I truly doubt the Boltons would survive an invasion by the Others. If anything were to reuinite Westeros, it would have to be this. They are human beings, and I don't believe the Others or the wights ever show any kind of mercy to humans they come into contact with. If anything, they might try to take advantage of the chaos of winter, but I doubt the Dreadfort would be spared.

In terms of the family's history, that would be neat. I've read that the next Dunk and Egg story will be set in Winterfell (The She-Wolves of Winterfell?), so perhaps the Boltons will be included and we'll learn a bit more about their relatively recent history.

More info on the Boltons would be really nice, although the Northern House I'm most interested in are the Manderlys.

Why is that? Because they are actually not a Northern house? ;)

Pretty much. :D I simply love the Andals.

But after 1000 years I'd say they are a Northern House, even while they arn't a First Man House.

Actually, coming from the South and worshipping the Seven does not mean, that the Manderlys are Andals, since the Royces, Hightowers, Daynes, Brackens, Crakehalls, etc. are all First Men Houses, who live in the South and worship the Seven.

I cannot give you a quote, but GRRM confirmed, that the River Mander was named after the Manderlys, so they should have been around for quite some time and are therefore probably First Men.

Actually, coming from the South and worshipping the Seven does not mean, that the Manderlys are Andals, since the Royces, Hightowers, Daynes, Brackens, Crakehalls, etc. are all First Men Houses, who live in the South and worship the Seven.

I cannot give you a quote, but GRRM confirmed, that the River Mander was named after the Manderlys, so they should have been around for quite some time and are therefore probably First Men.

True enough in regards to genetics, but in terms of culture I would claim they are Andals or rather have been Andalized to the point of First Men heritage not being very important to them.

True enough in regards to genetics, but in terms of culture I would claim they are Andals or rather have been Andalized to the point of First Men heritage not being very important to them.

Yeah, I know, what you want to say. The person Wyman Manderly actually reminds me the most of (at least in terms of how they are proclaimed in their respective courts) is Dany with her string of titles.

Possibly from The Sworn Sword? "As the river is called the Mander, though the Manderlys were driven from its banks a thousand years ago."

I think you're confusing show and book, Valyrian prefect. Neither of those events were depicted in the book, but yes, the leeching was..

Minor quibbles I guess, but there's so much misinformation being passed of as truth in these forums I had to interject,

On the topic, sure, some more Bolton history would be welcome. Never a house I've been too keen on learning about but as a fan of fake history and World Building, it's all welcome.

Archived