who is the smartest character in terms of raw intellect

Godbreaker

You people are talking about all the wrong crap. Secret knowledge? Book learning & wisdom? Cunning?

How about the secrets to making good pastries?

Tell me one character that knows how to make food better than Hot Pie. Just one. We'll see which character is really the most intelligent here.

lol

im not saying he's the most smartest, but he is definitely intelligent no? just wanted to throw a new name here..that's all i agree most of these posters here.

There is nothing to indicate that Ramsay is of above average intelligence. The only thing he excels at is terrifying Theon who is only in control of because he broke him with torture, next to a Tywin Lannister or a Varys type he just looks like a child tearing the wings off of flies. Sure both Tywin and Varys have blood on their hands but the majority of people they have manipulated or coerced they did so without harming at all.

You people are talking about all the wrong crap. Secret knowledge? Book learning & wisdom? Cunning?

Tell me one character that knows how to make food better than Hot Pie. Just one. We'll see which character is really the most intelligent here.

Considering that he's really Eddard Stark I'm not surprised. Good ole' Ned never half assed anything his whole life.

Only intellect I'd say Tyrion, Oberyn, Sam, Aemon

:lol:

And he's also Azor Ahai.

So, recapping, Ned is:

Alive

Secret Targ

Azor Ahai

Hot Pie

Remember Egg's issue with the sword not being hot? WELL ALL OF HOT PIE'S PIES ARE HOT!!! THE KIDNEY PIE IS LIGHTBRINGER. Pies to the face of the other via Ned Stark "Targaryen," Azor Ahai Reborn and Wielder of the Hot Pies!

I'm really glad we settled this issue. Ned is the smartest. Has to be. How else could he fool everyone else into thinking he was dead!?

For my money, I'd say Oberyn. He knew a great deal about history, forged multiple links at the citadel, spent time in different parts of the westeros and essos, learning about various people and cultures, and is adept in combat, sorcery, and alchemy.

Yeah he was so smart he got his head bashed in because he didn't know when to just let it go.

Yeah he was so smart he got his head bashed in because he didn't know when to just let it go.

He committed a mistake because of his hubris and drive for revenge. Doesn't mean he isn't intelligent. He knew this could happen so he made sure Gregor was poisoned and in the end he got his revenge. He was a brilliant fighter and a scholar. Both him and Doran are very intelligent men, it's hard to deny it based on one solely (albeit fatal) mistake IMO.

Breaking the nominees down into different categories:

Wisdom & Book learning: Maester Aemon, Samwell, Tyrion, Maester Marwyn, Missandei = Getting there Davos

Cunning: LF, Varys, Illyrio, Tyrion, Mance, Dany, Cersei, Marwyn = Emerging Samwell, Jon

Ruling & Statecraft: Mance Rayder, Tywin, Tyrion, LC Mormont, Jon, Stannis = Yet to learn Dany

Ability to Inspire Loyalty & Trust: Ned Stark, Dany, Mance, LC Mormont, Maester Aemon, Jon = Under construction Stannis

Secret Knowledge/Magic: BR, Leaf, Dany, Melisandre, Maester Marwyn, Missandei = getting there very quickly, Samwell, Jon, Tyrion, Mance

I can't decide on specific order of preference for some & the character's in italics are deceased & cannot directly influence the story to come, many seem to have at least 3 strengths but need to gather skills in the other two area's, some never will.

What does the ability to inspire loyalty and trust have to do with intelligence and why is Mormont in the category? He was killed by his own men....

I see your point I have to admit I was thinking bigger picture, IE: who has all the characteristics to lead? Which is not entirely on topic however I would argue that intelligence in it's most basic form such as a high IQ is not enough of a finite measureable thing. as so many others have expressed different people see intelligence being very different things to different people

The reason I would include an ability to inspire does take a certain amount of cleverness & intelligence imho, it's very close to cunning but more honest, it's sometimes even an indefinable quality sometimes referred to as charisma that inspires others. You can be the smartest person in the world but without that ability I don't think it's possible to lead.

Mormont is subjective I feel is important because of his role in shaping Jon but that's personal, & tbh the wall is currently made up of characters who have done some pretty awful things in their past, just because the Watch says the words & wipes the slate clean doesn't mean a leopard changes his spots, so I would argue that his death at the hands of his own men could have happened to anyone, just as some of Jon's Watch have turned on him. Doesn't mean he was actually making bad decisions it just means they disagreed with his leadership.

Archived