The reading FfC and DwD together method?

Koroviev

So when I was searching for the cheapest sellers for the two books of FfC and DwD I stumbled across a site which listed all the chapters of FfC and DwD which is the chronological order of both books put together.

I assume this is pretty common knowledge (the order or the 'alternative' reading method).

Have any of you done it? Would you recommend it for a first read? Or should I read it as FfC and DwD and then try the alternative method. The person who has compiled it does say it is spoiler free, I just wonder if doing them bound together will make it confusing.

I wouldn't normally ask but I've heard pretty much universally from friends and other forums that FfC is probably the worst book, and if doing it this method makes it more enjoyable, the better!

For those unaware of it, here is the link. There is also a linked e-reader format of both books merged, but obviously don't use it unless you own both books etc etc. http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

The Dany chapters in Dance can be rather confusing due to all the similar names and many new characters at once, and if you combine the books, you'll create more distance in between her chapters.

Also, if you read Feast first, you find some small cliffhangers that Dance will then solve. Reading them combined, you won't have that effect.

I wouldn't normally ask but I've heard pretty much universally from friends and other forums that FfC is probably the worst book, and if doing it this method makes it more enjoyable, the better!

Although I'm only 400 pages into AFFC, I really don't find it all that bad like some reviews suggest. I dare say its just as good as any other book in the series, just different due to new POVs, locations and pacing. Like you, I considered a combined reading plan, but once I started AFFC I feel like I have been able to move through it like the previous three novels.

Its all subjective, needless to say. But giving you my two cents, I'd try reading AFFC on its own and see how that goes. If its a struggle, then by all means seek alternative reading methods; but from what I've heard, there is no need to force the issue unless you just can't get into Feast.

AFFC gets a bad rap. I've done the combined reading on my last couple re-reads and really enjoyed it but for your first time through I'd just read them in the order they were published. That's how George decided he wanted you to read it after all...disagree with him afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read Affc then adwd and as others I was missing some of the povs and felt the story is a bit lagging. I don't think Martin's writing has gone down, it's just the hunger to see what is happening next if you know what I mean. Anyway a year later I listened to them combined (audio book) and I found the mix much more enjoyable.

Archived