LonCon3 Touristy Thread: Where Those Who Wish to Sightsee Can Get Organized

I will definitely be going up to Oxford one day (not sure yet which day, although most likely Saturday) and would be happy to take along anyone who wants to go - once in Oxford you would be on your own, as I have to see my shoemaker, tailor, etc etc (yes, really).

Copied over from the other thread for info:

We did Potter last summer and it was fantastic. Easy to get to from Euston, I think it was, and incredibly well-organized once you got there. If you know what day you want to go, book your tickets soonest possible: we were left with one of the latest entry times, spent four hours there and could have lingered longer. There's also a bus that runs to Leavesden directly from Victoria coach station, which costs a bit more.

The Tower you can book tickets for online in advance, which speeds things up. The Eye too, except the ticket pick-up counter turned out not to be where we thought it was at first and we were already pressed for time, eek eek.

There is always this to go see -

http://www.ica.org.uk/whats-on/tove-jansson-tales-nordic-archipelago

for Moomin fans. They (whoever 'they' are) are making a big thing out of Tove Jansson's centenary.

I will definitely be going up to Oxford one day (not sure yet which day, although most likely Saturday) and would be happy to take along anyone who wants to go - once in Oxford you would be on your own, as I have to see my shoemaker, tailor, etc etc (yes, really).

If you're there again on the following Tuesday/Wednesday, let me know.

It would be nice to do some touristy stuff as I'm rarely down in London for leisure.

I would like to do the Harry Potter Experience if other people are heading that way, it would be awesome to have some company.

And if people are that way inclined, the British Museum is worth a look, though it would be a very quick, whistlestop tour of selected parts as it's HUGE!

I am definitely planning to do the Harry Potter studio tour. Waiting for the WorldCon programming schedule to decide which day would be best.

Awesome. That's what I'm holding out for as well. Try and find a lull in the programming......or rather, a lull in what I want to see/do and hop across then.

Harry Potter is amazing, I went there last month and had the best time. :) My boyfriend and I are planning to go for our anniversary this year - it's a week before Christmas, and I heard they dress it all up for the holidays, which sounds awesome.

I've never been to the Tower, so I'm quite interested in that, but I'll have to see what the others want/can afford to do.

Kara and I are doing the tower so happy to join in with any others who want to do that.

We're also planning a trip to stonehenge before the con if anyone else is arriving a bit early and interested.

For those thinking of a visit to the British Museum, I will note that right around the corner on Bloomsbury Street is the only branch of Royal Mile Whiskeys not located within the metes and bounds of Scotland. They have a killer selection of single malts and other distilled beverages, and a wide variety of craft beers as well. And they are happy to pack bottles with sufficient bubble wrap to survive the flight back home, too.

For the Tower you normally want the whole day (or at least most of it)

Hmm was planning on doing it the day we get into London if we didn't go during the con, not sure what time we'll fly in though as I need to book the flight from Stockholm still. Can't imagine it would be earlier than lunch time, then we need to drop bags at the hotel we are doing the Tuesday/Weds nights at in Earls Court first. Hopefully it either happens on a con day or we can make it fit!

Kara and I are doing the tower so happy to join in with any others who want to do that.

We're also planning a trip to stonehenge before the con if anyone else is arriving a bit early and interested.

Just out of interest - how do you plan to get to Stonehenge?

All day for the Tower? Well, I hope they have conveniently placed toilets and benches :p

And if people are that way inclined, the British Museum is worth a look, though it would be a very quick, whistlestop tour of selected parts as it's HUGE!

I would be up for that. I didn't get to see it the last time I was in London.

Btw, if there are Whovians here, The Who Shop is relatively close to the Con site.

I would be up for that. I didn't get to see it the last time I was in London.

Btw, if there are Whovians here, The Who Shop is relatively close to the Con site.

I'd certainly be up for going again. Last time I was in London on a pleasure cruise (rather than work), I only saw little itty bitty bits of it, so would defo be up for going again.

Though I am beginning to think I might have to look at the possibility of arriving early and staying in a hostel or something. So many things I want to do, and so little time to do it! :)

All day for the Tower? Well, I hope they have conveniently placed toilets and benches :P

Some, at least. :) Four hours should be enough for the Tower in normal circumstances but you might want to add another hour as it's in the summer holidays. A Tower trip could be usefully combined with a tour of the inside of Tower Bridge, which doesn't take long. It's possibly too much to do HMS Belfast at the same time (it's moored opposite the Tower, ish, so is geographically congruent) as two museums each requiring a four ish hour visit could get tiring, but this will depend on the individuals concerned.

Getting to the Tower of London is easy from the con hotels - take the DLR to Tower Gateway.

All day for the Tower? Well, I hope they have conveniently placed toilets and benches :P

I think you could spend all day there if you wanted to explore every last bit of it in detail, but I reckon you can probably get most of the experience in 3-4 hours.

Apparently, from the 7th of July until the 26th of August, the Harry Potter studios are doing summer screenings, where they'll show a film once you've been around the tour. Not sure how it'll work exactly (their website seems to be playing up), and you may not have time, but it's a nice extra if you do. :)

Archived