LonCon3 Touristy Thread: Where Those Who Wish to Sightsee Can Get Organized

The Globe Theatre is showing Anthony and Cleopatra and Julius Caesar. If you get a chance, it is a good experience. Standing in the Yard is amazing. You can see and hear everything and the actors sometime enter and exit the stage through the crowd. Can't go wrong for £5

You may very well be able to see everything when standing in the yard. I on the other hand get to know the back of the person infront of me very well. The extra cost of the seats perch and a coushion are well worth it if you are under 5 feet tall.

You may very well be able to see everything when standing in the yard. I on the other hand get to know the back of the person infront of me very well. The extra cost of the seats perch and a coushion are well worth it if you are under 5 feet tall.

If I go I shall be taking this advice

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you have any kind of back/leg/foot/just not being a spring chicken anymore issues then you probably aren't going to truly enjoy yourself standing still. for three hours straight. Don't kid yourself about that whole wandering around thing - you can't actually do that at the globe because it's too crowded. You can get a seat for about £12 though.

For those thinking of a visit to the British Museum, I will note that right around the corner on Bloomsbury Street is the only branch of Royal Mile Whiskeys not located within the metes and bounds of Scotland. They have a killer selection of single malts and other distilled beverages, and a wide variety of craft beers as well. And they are happy to pack bottles with sufficient bubble wrap to survive the flight back home, too.

I'm staying in Bloomsbury. Looks like I know one of the shops I'll be frequenting.

It's not "touristy" in any sense, but I'd appreciate info on any musical events that will occur in London during the con -- any genre, any venue -- especially those where advance ticket purchase might be advisable.

One word: Proms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/features/tickets

Actually, that's not a bad idea for one of the evenings........might see what concerts are on.

I would be up for the one on 13th August at 6.30pm, i.e. the day before the con proper starts. Mostly Vaughan Williams (I have no taste and do not care). I will probably be also going to the early evening one on Monday 4th August, for anyone who's making a long trip of it or who lives round here.

Unfortunately the one I was interested in (Prom 43 on Monday 18th) is sold out - I might consider rolling into central London and see if I can get a Promming Ticket for £5. We'll see. There's the LonCon Orchestra concert on the Friday to look forward to though.

I also did a quick search on Visit London and found the following concerts/gigs.

There's also the theatre.

I have to laugh though - I'm finding all these things I want to do.......I paid all that for a LonCon membership and I could quite easily spend all my time in London sightseeing! :D

Unfortunately the one I was interested in (Prom 43 on Monday 18th) is sold out - I might consider rolling into central London and see if I can get a Promming Ticket for £5. We'll see. There's the LonCon Orchestra concert on the Friday to look forward to though.

At a guess you want to arrive at the RAH by 4.30 at the latest for that one. Then again programming will be winding down a lot at that point - and you can come back afterwards for the Dead Dog!

At a guess you want to arrive at the RAH by 4.30 at the latest for that one. Then again programming will be winding down a lot at that point - and you can come back afterwards for the Dead Dog!

Coolios. I'll see how it rolls once the schedule has been released and I can better gauge what things I really absolutely oh my god have to see, and what other stuff can be shuffled aside for touristy stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My wish list includes the British Museum, the Tate and Harry Potter. And some shopping. And lots of other things, but those are at the top of the list.

Brook, I would love to go to Stonehenge!

And to see a play at the Globe Theatre would be awesome as well. :)

My wish list includes the British Museum, the Tate and Harry Potter. And some shopping. And lots of other things, but those are at the top of the list.

Brook, I would love to go to Stonehenge!

And to see a play at the Globe Theatre would be awesome as well. :)

We changed our mind and am looking at a day in Oxford instead of Stonehenge. I'm fickle :p (there is so much I want to do and so little time!)

Will definitely be doing a play at the Globe, just waiting to hear what day the BWB party is on so we can decide which. Would be good to make it a group trip if you and anyone else wants to come :)

Was also thinking this looked like it could be good if we have time http://www.rmg.co.uk//whats-on/events/longitude-punkd

Yeah, I was getting stressed about over booking the day before the con started and we decided a relaxing day eating and drinking in Oxford was an easier trip than getting across to Stonehenge, then to Bath, then maybe up to Cardiff for dinner so we could say we had been to Wales before coming back in the same night. Sorry Theda, I jumped the gun on that dinner conversation! Come to the Globe and that Steampunk thing at Greenwich (that Brook just linked) with us instead!

Greenwich is less than 30 minutes from the closest station to Excel, so a nice short trip from the con.

We changed our mind and am looking at a day in Oxford instead of Stonehenge. I'm fickle :P (there is so much I want to do and so little time!)

Will definitely be doing a play at the Globe, just waiting to hear what day the BWB party is on so we can decide which. Would be good to make it a group trip if you and anyone else wants to come :)

Was also thinking this looked like it could be good if we have time http://www.rmg.co.uk//whats-on/events/longitude-punkd

I wanted to ask Arataniello how he was going to get out to Oxford. :)

Obviously we can't all crowd into one car - by train, I assume! I've been to Cambridge and if Stonehenge is a no go, Oxford is a good substitute. Too many years of watching Morse and reading about Oxford, I guess. :D

It's about an hour on the train from Paddington station. We never even considered driving, Brook doesn't have her license and I *hate* driving places I don't already know, so we are very much public transport types. Planning to go on Weds 13th, the only full non con day we have in London - are you there yet for that?

I think if you don't mind I'll be heading to these three things too. :) Been to the British Museum lots of times but still not half done (and still haven't found the Japanese section!)

It's about an hour on the train from Paddington station. We never even considered driving, Brook doesn't have her license and I *hate* driving places I don't already know, so we are very much public transport types. Planning to go on Weds 13th, the only full non con day we have in London - are you there yet for that?

Driving in London is a total PITA. Driving around London is slightly better but only if you have very, very low expectations.

Archived