LonCon3 Touristy Thread: Where Those Who Wish to Sightsee Can Get Organized

Ooh. I've got the Tuesday free. Hadn't thought of going to the Oval, being a Lord's gal, but if they don't sell the final day tickets in advance...

If it has not been pointed out before, the weekend of WorldCon is also the weekend of the fifth and final test in the England vs India Test series.

The test match starts on Friday (one day later than usual), which means that Monday and Tuesday would be the culmination of the game.

Folk may be interested (you know who you are).

Thi is cricket , by the way, we are talking about.

Can you imagine if a whole group of us turned up, with some costumes - sure to get a mention on Test Match Special.

Well, dang - I had already planned to take my Australian husband on a pilgrimage to Lord's to see a county match on Thursday. Hadn't realized there was also a Test that weekend!

A bunch of us are planning to visit the Harry Potter shop in Kings Cross station, and take the obligatory picture at the 9 3/4 bit. My train comes in right by it anyway (and my CV may find its way into the shop, with the hope that they have a job going :p ).

Now the programme is up (hurrah!), I can have a look and organise timings. All are welcome, of course. :)

A bunch of us are planning to visit the Harry Potter shop in Kings Cross station, and take the obligatory picture at the 9 3/4 bit. My train comes in right by it anyway (and my CV may find its way into the shop, with the hope that they have a job going :P ).

Now the programme is up (hurrah!), I can have a look and organise timings. All are welcome, of course. :)

And what a programme it is. :drool:

I've got about 100 events bookmarked already - and I still haven't gotten to the Sunday...

And what a programme it is. :drool:

I've got about 100 events bookmarked already - and I still haven't gotten to the Sunday...

I know - we've attempted to leave Saturday evening clear so we can see some family, but gods was it hard. There are so many things on at the same time, I'll need to be in 7 places at once :laugh:

I know - we've attempted to leave Saturday evening clear so we can see some family, but gods was it hard. There are so many things on at the same time, I'll need to be in 7 places at once :laugh:

Yep, same here. Someone suggested getting a time-turner, but I don't think that's a viable option. :D

On the other hand, is someone going to the Hobb/Martin event after the con? I wish I could go but I will miss my flight if I do.

Yep, same here. Someone suggested getting a time-turner, but I don't think that's a viable option. :D

On the other hand, is someone going to the Hobb/Martin event after the con? I wish I could go but I will miss my flight if I do.

That was in a private message! :whip:

:P

That looks lovely, but too late for me too.

I have only checked two days of the programme till now, but there are many things that look interesting.

I think Saturday was the day we ended up with 6 things marked in the one timeslot. I think I need to clone myself

I think Saturday was the day we ended up with 6 things marked in the one timeslot. I think I need to clone myself

If you work out how to do that, let me know! This is my first opportunity to see my boyfriend's nan for almost a year, but there's so much I want to do! How dare the organisers put on such a bloody good programme.

I doubt I'll make it to the Martin & Hobb event. When is it?

Well I waited too long to book the WB Harry Potter studio tour - the only slot available before I leave is Sunday at 1pm so I'll miss the Game of Thrones panel unless I can somehow make it from the excel center to the tour in one hour.

ETA: scratch that - The GoT panel is at noon. No chance.

I'd like to join the British Museum group if I may :)

I realise this is not really standard touristy stuff, but if anybody is interested in any of the medical history-related museums, I'll probably head to the Hunterian Museum and the Old Operating Theatre.

There is an abundance of medical history-related museums in London - http://www.medicalmuseums.org/ -, and the major two (the Wellcome Collection (http://www.wellcomecollection.org/)%C2'>

[sorry for the info spam, I go into automatic academic tour guide mode sometimes.]

If you do not mind I would like to accompany you. :)

If you work out how to do that, let me know! This is my first opportunity to see my boyfriend's nan for almost a year, but there's so much I want to do! How dare the organisers put on such a bloody good programme.

I doubt I'll make it to the Martin & Hobb event. When is it?

It's the Tuesday night 2 hours before Brook and I fly out from Heathrow, so that looks out for us :P

"The event will be taking place on 19th August, 2014 at 7:30pm in the Freemasons’ Hall, Holborn, London."

So I'm with karaddin on that. Too late to catch my flight home (which is from Luton, to boot).

Well I waited too long to book the WB Harry Potter studio tour - the only slot available before I leave is Sunday at 1pm so I'll miss the Game of Thrones panel unless I can somehow make it from the excel center to the tour in one hour.

ETA: scratch that - The GoT panel is at noon. No chance.

We all waited too long I think. I held off for the schedule to be announced, and now there's no slots. Booooo. Such a shame.

We all waited too long I think. I held off for the schedule to be announced, and now there's no slots. Booooo. Such a shame.

I think I snagged the last slot at 1pm. Bummed that I'll miss the GoT panel but since so many of you will be at the panel I'm sure I can get a good recap over a pint.

I'll also head over to Tower of London at some point but I may just play it by ear.

Archived