LonCon3 Touristy Thread: Where Those Who Wish to Sightsee Can Get Organized

This thread made me realise how I seriously no clue what I'm gonna be doing for 4 days LOL; should really plan better.

I have a suspicion that no plan survives contact with WorldCon, so even if we do plan things out we're liable to end up doing something completely different.

Is there a particular day that people are looking to go to the Tower?

Edit: You can also buy one of the Tower of London poppies. Though you won't receive it until after the exhibit has ended in November.

My open days are fri, sat or mon - scheduling around GRRM events of course.

And I think I want one of those poppies...

I have a suspicion that no plan survives contact with WorldCon, so even if we do plan things out we're liable to end up doing something completely different.

This is the truth.

Does one of you London-savy people know how long it takes to get to London Euston from the Docklands by tube in the late morning on a weekday?

The journey will take around thirty-five to forty minutes, plus walking at each end (I'll always add ten minutes to find my playform at Euston).

I'm finally booking things! Anyone is more than welcome to join. I arrive Thursday night (late). My schedule:

Friday: con stuff/people finding, BwB Party

Saturday: con stuff/Harry Potter Studio Tour 6:30pm NOTE: if you keep checking the page you will probably find tickets. I checked and everything was sold out, then I checked again 10 minutes later and 3 dates were open.

Sunday: Tower or British Museum, Hugo Awards 8pm - 11pm

Monday: Tower or British Museum, Jack the Ripper Walking Tour 7:30pm

Tuesday: Day trip to Stonehenge/Bath

eta I'm going to keep editing this as I confirm/book things

I'm finally booking things! Anyone is more than welcome to join. I arrive Thursday night (late). My schedule:

Friday: I'm going to check out the con and find people, then our Party is Friday Night

Saturday: con stuff/Harry Potter @ 6:30 NOTE: f you keep checking the page you will probably find tickets. I checked and everything was sold out, then I checked again 10 minutes later and 3 dates were open.

Sunday: Tower or British Museum

Monday: Tower or British Museum

I'm also probably going to do a Jack the Ripper Walking Tour (nightly at 7:30)

This is very true. I was looking at tickets with my housemate earlier in the year, and when I put one tour into my basket, it wasn't available for her to see it on her laptop. Very odd. Maybe people have tours just sitting in their baskets.. :ninja:

I'm interested in the Jack the Ripper tour, which day are you thinking of doing? My schedule is so packed, but I'm sure I can shuffle some things around.

I'm also probably going to do a Jack the Ripper Walking Tour (nightly at 7:30)

I'm not sure which tour company you are looking at but just in case I thought I'd give a shout out for London Walks which does a whole variety of excellent walking tours around London. They have a Jack the Ripper tour which I'd recommend:

http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Home/Jack_the_Ripper_Tour/default.aspx

This is very true. I was looking at tickets with my housemate earlier in the year, and when I put one tour into my basket, it wasn't available for her to see it on her laptop. Very odd. Maybe people have tours just sitting in their baskets.. :ninja:

I'm interested in the Jack the Ripper tour, which day are you thinking of doing? My schedule is so packed, but I'm sure I can shuffle some things around.

I'm thinking Monday Evening (Sunday is the Hugo Awards). The website for the walking tour is here

Friday: con stuff/people finding, BwB Party

Saturday: con stuff/Harry Potter Studio Tour 6:30pm NOTE: if you keep checking the page you will probably find tickets. I checked and everything was sold out, then I checked again 10 minutes later and 3 dates were open.

Sunday: Tower or British Museum, Hugo Awards 8pm - 11pm

Monday: Tower or British Museum, Jack the Ripper Walking Tour 7:30pm

eta I'm going to keep editing this as I confirm/book things

Thanks for the heads up - I'm now watching the dates likes a hawk. No look so far. I got sooooo close when a Thursday time popped up, but I was still en route and not in London yet so it wasn't suitable. Hopefully something will come up.

Passing this along from John Pomeranz, a DC SMOF who's not on the boards:

I've done a lot of research planning our trip to London for the World Science Fiction Convention. (My streak of OCD is brought out by vacation planning.) It occurs to me that some of the things I've turned up might be of interest to other fans planning to combine some London tourism with their Worldcon experience.

Archived