LonCon3 Touristy Thread: Where Those Who Wish to Sightsee Can Get Organized

A bunch of us are planning to visit the Harry Potter shop in Kings Cross station, and take the obligatory picture at the 9 3/4 bit. My train comes in right by it anyway (and my CV may find its way into the shop, with the hope that they have a job going :P ).

Now the programme is up (hurrah!), I can have a look and organise timings. All are welcome, of course. :)

When are you all planning on invading Kings Cross? Would love to join you.

As for the tour, I've figured rather than glueing myself to the laptop in the hopes a slot comes up, I'm going to come down to London later in the year and go specially. The Premier Inn a Watford Junction is £29 a night, so just as long as I can get a cheap coach I'll be all set. Yes, I had hoped to not have to come down specially, but the only dates that have cropped up are Thursday morning, when I'm still en route, and Friday evening, which clashes with the WorldCon Orchestra. Hey ho. I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit longer.

Edit: I need to not give up so easily! I decided to check one more time this morning, and pretty much every slot for Friday 15th was available! :D So I've booked 11:30am, which gives me ample time there, and back in time for food and then the WorldCon Orchestra. Yeah, I'm missing some panels I wanted to see, but they weren't on my 'I HAVE to go!' list, whereas Harry Potter is. :D

There are 11:30am tickets still available, so if anybody wants to join me, you're more than welcome.

Touristy stuff wise, I'll probably head to the Tower on the Monday afternoon after the Weta Digital panel, which finishes at 1pm.

I'd like to go back to the British Museum, but we'll see how things roll. I need to take a long hard look at the programme and decide what I really want to see, and what is more flexible and can give way for other plans. :D

Dave, this looks great, better just check that Thames Barrier stuff, since WEDNESDAY is 13th.

Well, I don't get in till Weds AM, so that one's not high on my list anyway...

As for the tour, I've figured rather than glueing myself to the laptop in the hopes a slot comes up, I'm going to come down to London later in the year and go specially. The Premier Inn a Watford Junction is £29 a night, so just as long as I can get a cheap coach I'll be all set. Yes, I had hoped to not have to come down specially, but the only dates that have cropped up are Thursday morning, when I'm still en route, and Friday evening, which clashes with the WorldCon Orchestra. Hey ho. I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit longer.

Edit: I need to not give up so easily! I decided to check one more time this morning, and pretty much every slot for Friday 15th was available! :D So I've booked 11:30am, which gives me ample time there, and back in time for food and then the WorldCon Orchestra. Yeah, I'm missing some panels I wanted to see, but they weren't on my 'I HAVE to go!' list, whereas Harry Potter is. :D

There are 11:30am tickets still available, so if anybody wants to join me, you're more than welcome.

Touristy stuff wise, I'll probably head to the Tower on the Monday afternoon after the Weta Digital panel, which finishes at 1pm.

I'd like to go back to the British Museum, but we'll see how things roll. I need to take a long hard look at the programme and decide what I really want to see, and what is more flexible and can give way for other plans. :D

I'll let you know - still trying to organise schedules!

And yay! Have fun at Harry Potter :D

I was looking last night as well, and have a ticket for 11:30 booked. I'm staying at the Novotel, if you want to go together. :)

It tentatively looks like we will go to King's Cross on Sunday, either early, so we can get back to see GRRM speak, or after he speaks.

Were you at Titancon two years ago? I think we met there.

I already have a ticket for Sunday at 1pm but if they'll let me exchange it I will

Join you on Friday!

I already have a ticket for Sunday at 1pm but if they'll let me exchange it I will

Join you on Friday!

Sounds great! The web site was not working well for me, so I don't know, but maybe once you arrive you can phone them and see if you can make the switch. The more the merrier!

It took us four hours to go through HP; if the 11:30ers move slowly, Maid may catch up anyway. :)

eta: some friends took six hours about it and that is not nearly the longest someone has spent there.

It took us about 3 hours too. There's lots to see (and Butterbeer to drink!).

If anyone needs me to call somewhere (like the HP studios), do send me a message. It won't cost me anything (in fact, I could drive to the HP studios in about half an hour :p ).

I was looking last night as well, and have a ticket for 11:30 booked. I'm staying at the Novotel, if you want to go together. :)

It tentatively looks like we will go to King's Cross on Sunday, either early, so we can get back to see GRRM speak, or after he speaks.

Were you at Titancon two years ago? I think we met there.

Awesome! I'd love to go with you. I'm at the Premier Inn Excel. :D I got the adult package which includes the audio guide so we can share that as well if you want rather than you pay for an extra one yourself.

And Sunday sounds good for Platform 9 3/4 as well.

And yeah, I was at TitanCon two years ago. I think we did meet there, yeah.

Maid - tickets are non-refundable, but you can change the dates/times for a £10 administration fee. But aye, depending on how long we take, you might catch up with us anyway! Just so long as I'm back at the Excel for the 8pm WorldCon concert, I've given Friday over to Harry Potter. :)

George's reading is at 11am on Friday.

I won't be changing my ticket. I know I'll miss the GoT panel on Sunday but the reading is far more important to me. Sucks that I'll have to go alone but I'm sure I'll find a kindly person to take pictures for me.

I would love to go to Oxford, ES. Maybe Saturday or Monday? I will go to Tower of London on one of those days as well.

I posted (somewhere) options for getting to Oxford - it's either train (takes an hour) from Paddington, or coach (about 1.75 hours) from Victoria.

If anyone needs any pointers about Oxford, from either a Tolkien or a Morse point of view, let me know.

George's reading is at 11am on Friday.

I won't be changing my ticket. I know I'll miss the GoT panel on Sunday but the reading is far more important to me. Sucks that I'll have to go alone but I'm sure I'll find a kindly person to take pictures for me.

I would love to go to Oxford, ES. Maybe Saturday or Monday? I will go to Tower of London on one of those days as well.

Oh, great! Let's plan on it. I'm dying to see where Inspector Lewis hangs out.

I posted (somewhere) options for getting to Oxford - it's either train (takes an hour) from Paddington, or coach (about 1.75 hours) from Victoria.

If anyone needs any pointers about Oxford, from either a Tolkien or a Morse point of view, let me know.

Thank you so much. I'm probably going to need lots of pointers.

Is there anything worth seeing at the HP studios if you don't do the tour? <wanders off to Google the Dr Who experience>

The (very expensive) shop? It's just the tour really. And a Starbucks.

I need to double-check my Sunday morning, but if it's free, I'm happy to meet people at the Kings Cross HP shop, as my train comes in near there.

Yeah it does suck to miss the reading, but I'm sure I'll get a good accounting of it from people, or here on the board.

KissedByFire, who got me my ticket, explained to the lady she spoke to on the phone (the web site was so painful she followed up with a phone call) that I had tried very hard to get 1:30 but the website would not allow me to proceed to Checkout. The women said if I called them and explained the situation they would likely let me switch my ticket. Do you want to try doing that?

Archived