LonCon3 Touristy Thread: Where Those Who Wish to Sightsee Can Get Organized

I would really like to visit Oxford. As a huge Inspector Morse/Lewis fan, I feel like I need to see where all of these people get murdered in such a genteel way.

If you do a day trip to Oxford you should take the Inspector Morse walking tour:

http://www.visitoxfordandoxfordshire.com/eshop/thedms.aspx?dms=72&shop=8&prod=855

I haven't taken that specific walking tour but I've done some of their other walking tours in Oxford and they are quite good. Other walking tour options there:

http://www.visitoxfordandoxfordshire.com/official-tours/public-tours.aspx

KissedByFire, who got me my ticket, explained to the lady she spoke to on the phone (the web site was so painful she followed up with a phone call) that I had tried very hard to get 1:30 but the website would not allow me to proceed to Checkout. The women said if I called them and explained the situation they would likely let me switch my ticket. Do you want to try doing that?

Personally, I'd rather not. I really want to go to the WorldCon Orchestra that evening, and whilst it doesn't start until 8pm, if I went for an afternoon slot I'd be under pressure to rush through the Tour, get back to London and then find some food before getting back to the Excel. At least by getting an 11:30 slot I've given myself a little bit more leeway.

And, if we're trying to shift forward so we're pretty much at the same time as Maid (who would only have to wait 30mins for us) - her timeslot is 1pm on the SUNDAY, whereas we're on the Friday. So unless you're wanting to shift the day as well as the time, we're not going to be able to go around with Maid.

But, all that said, if you would rather go around at 1:30pm, then by all means, try and switch. :) But I'll stick to my 11:30am.

Personally, I'd rather not. I really want to go to the WorldCon Orchestra that evening, and whilst it doesn't start until 8pm, if I went for an afternoon slot I'd be under pressure to rush through the Tour, get back to London and then find some food before getting back to the Excel. At least by getting an 11:30 slot I've given myself a little bit more leeway.

And, if we're trying to shift forward so we're pretty much at the same time as Maid (who would only have to wait 30mins for us) - her timeslot is 1pm on the SUNDAY, whereas we're on the Friday. So unless you're wanting to shift the day as well as the time, we're not going to be able to go around with Maid.

But, all that said, if you would rather go around at 1:30pm, then by all means, try and switch. :) But I'll stick to my 11:30am.

Actually, 11.30 is fine, I just offered in case you wanted to try to hear GRRM at 11.00. :)

How are you getting to the HP tour? I'm wondering if we could fit in the HP shop in Kings Cross before you leave.

Speaking of that... Turns out Watford junction is closed on the 17th?! I'm not sure how I'm getting to the tour. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Speaking of that... Turns out Watford junction is closed on the 17th?! I'm not sure how I'm getting to the tour. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

There is a bus from london that takes you directly there. It's pricey £29.00 but I think its still simpler than taking a bus all the way. The transit system is offering buses to cover for the closed station but its going to take even longer to get there.

Where did you find out about this? I just went to the National Rail website, used their trip planner for the 15th, got a price of 10.20 for the round trip ticket. Then I planned the same trip for the 17th, and it gave me the same information. It did not say anything about Watford Junction being closed.

I'm on my cell phone and can't link the website, but just search under National Rail or just Google how do I get from the London Excel Centre to Watford Junction.

Where did you find out about this? I just went to the National Rail website, used their trip planner for the 15th, got a price of 10.20 for the round trip ticket. Then I planned the same trip for the 17th, and it gave me the same information. It did not say anything about Watford Junction being closed.

I'm on my cell phone and can't link the website, but just search under National Rail or just Google how do I get from the London Excel Centre to Watford Junction.

The warner bros tour page - getting there - indicated that there was maintenance work to be performed at the station of a handful of summer weekends. I don't have the link in front of me but it took me to a press release with dates.

FYI - taxi from Victoria station to Ramada cost GBP35.

DLR from Prince R3g3nt to Tow3r Gat3way taks 20 minutes.

And my sodding keyboard is shot to all crap, which is why I am in th Appl3 store right now.

The warner bros tour page - getting there - indicated that there was maintenance work to be performed at the station of a handful of summer weekends. I don't have the link in front of me but it took me to a press release with dates.

Maid - I believe on the dates Watford Junction is closed, they are running shuttles from Hemel Hempstead instead. Let me go check................

yes, here it is from their website:

If you are travelling by train please be aware that maintenance work is affecting Watford Junction station in August 2014, for more information click here. Whilst transport providers will be running replacement buses and operating alternative routes, we suggest you check with your travel operator and leave extra time. In addition to our shuttle bus from Watford Junction train station, a shuttle bus service will also run from Hemel Hempstead train station between 9-11th, 16-18th, 23-26th August.

Fragile Bird/Dracaya - to get to Watford Junction we'll have to get the tube to Euston and then the overground out to Watford Junction. Euston to Watford Junction takes about 25mins. We could certainly stop off at King's Cross - as we'd be getting the Circle line up that way anyway.......so get off at King's Cross, and then get the Victoria line down to Euston.

We're going to HP Tour on Friday, not Sunday............well, I am at least. Maid is going on Sunday, so we could tag it onto her trip, and see her off to the Tour. :D

Dammit, excuse my poor attention. Well I'm keen for any day really - we can organise it properly on Friday evening at the BwB party? Seems the most likely place to catch everyone.

Maid - I believe on the dates Watford Junction is closed, they are running shuttles from Hemel Hempstead instead. Let me go check................

yes, here it is from their website:

If you are travelling by train please be aware that maintenance work is affecting Watford Junction station in August 2014, for more information click here. Whilst transport providers will be running replacement buses and operating alternative routes, we suggest you check with your travel operator and leave extra time. In addition to our shuttle bus from Watford Junction train station, a shuttle bus service will also run from Hemel Hempstead train station between 9-11th, 16-18th, 23-26th August.

Fragile Bird/Dracaya - to get to Watford Junction we'll have to get the tube to Euston and then the overground out to Watford Junction. Euston to Watford Junction takes about 25mins. We could certainly stop off at King's Cross - as we'd be getting the Circle line up that way anyway.......so get off at King's Cross, and then get the Victoria line down to Euston.

Just wanted to add (and I posted this on Maid's face book page) that I was on the Underground today and checked with information. The Watford Junction underground station is not closed on Sunday, and as the officer told me, it may be the train station is closed for maintenance ( as confirmed by the web site quoted).

I assume taking the underground is much more expensive than the train? The train price is 10.20 round trip from Euston.

Samantha, I am at the Novotel - where are you staying? I may have seen that info, I'm sorry, can't remember. The underground to Euston will take at least half an hour, then the train and the shuttle. So I would suggest leaving at the latest at 10.00, maybe 9.45. Where would you like to meet?

Just wanted to add (and I posted this on Maid's face book page) that I was on the Underground today and checked with information. The Watford Junction underground station is not closed on Sunday, and as the officer told me, it may be the train station is closed for maintenance ( as confirmed by the web site quoted).

I assume taking the underground is much more expensive than the train? The train price is 10.20 round trip from Euston.

Samantha, I am at the Novotel - where are you staying? I may have seen that info, I'm sorry, can't remember. The underground to Euston will take at least half an hour, then the train and the shuttle. So I would suggest leaving at the latest at 10.00, maybe 9.45. Where would you like to meet?

I'm staying at the Premier Inn Excel, and aye, I'll agree that an earlier start is better than a later one. We can always roam the giftshop if we arrive ridiculously early. We could always meet outside the Novotel. I'll be heading in that direction anyway to find something breakfasty. I'll be out and about this evening if you want to hash it out then. I won't be online for much longer this morning as I'm getting ready to go and catch my coach.

A bunch of us are planning on heading to the Tower of London today. If you want to tag along go to Novotel reception at 10.30.

Poppies! Crown Jewels! Other really old stuff!

Would have loved to, but I'm not in London yet. :)

I'm staying at the Premier Inn Excel, and aye, I'll agree that an earlier start is better than a later one. We can always roam the giftshop if we arrive ridiculously early. We could always meet outside the Novotel. I'll be heading in that direction anyway to find something breakfasty. I'll be out and about this evening if you want to hash it out then. I won't be online for much longer this morning as I'm getting ready to go and catch my coach.

Would have loved to, but I'm not in London yet. :)

I will be waiting in the lobby of the Novotel, upstairs (there's a lift to the registration desk) at 9:30 am. :)

Archived