Characters that will possibly be cut

The King Of Cooked Steak

This is because different mediums require different narrative elements. Don't get me started on HP, but those movies are undeniably adaptations. GoT is actually a fairly close adaptation given their budgetary and time constraints. But because they invented material to create more character buy-in for Yara and Bran, or made up a rejoiner for Loras at the Purple Wedding we should throw up our hands and declare it some sort of bastardization of Martin's work?

I think the issue is it's becoming a bit too watered down and in the process the show loses part of what makes the books so brilliant. Of course, it doesn't help that some of the material they invent seems to lack any sort of thought process. Purely as a TV show, it's still very good but if I were to judge it as an adaptation, there's a noticeable decline in quality.

If the coming season is not going to have LS, Greyjoys, Arianne, Griffs etc.. and they come up with their own storylines for the likes of Jaime and Brienne then fanfiction seems an apt term to me, for those characters at least.

That's an interesting sentiment. Adaptation of long novels to the visual medium inherently require pairing down.

For me it's a moronic statement, with no understanding of what an undertaking of this nature requires and necessitates. :D

For me it's a moronic statement, with no understanding of what an undertaking of this nature requires and necessitates. :D

Ha, yeah, and hearing D&D talk about the decisions they've made makes it clear that they agonize over this task and are trying to do the best they can with all of it.

Also, "change" is implicit in the meaning of "adaptation."

I always find it hilarious when people try to change the definition of a word simply because they don't like something. "It's not an adaptation!" No, it's most definitely an adaptation. By definition it has to be.

Val

Mance's baby

Wun Wun

some of the Queen's men

Bowen Marsh.

Quentyn Martell and all of his travel fellows. Daenerys could learn of the Dorne allegiance from other sources (Illyrio envoys for example). Dragons are freed by someone looking to steal/kill them, or even on their own. In fact, even the books do not state that they escaped from the same door Quentyn opened.

Balon's brothers will be simplified. Euron is his elder brother, no need for a kingsmoot to raise him king.

Plenty of Meereenese people will remain unnamed but most is going to be there in order to fill time for Tyrion and the Iron Fleet to arrive.

Stoneheart

Cersei's small council will be simplified.

Everybody met by Jaime in the riverlands since he has no reason to go there anymore.

Wex. Davos will never stop by the Sisters. And Rickon is in a place safer than Skagos, under the protection of one of Ned's bannermens.

And no pink letter. Pink letter ties the timeline of the ice battle with Jon's demise. I expect that such battle will take place during this season, while Jon will be stabbed in the last chapter.

I always find it hilarious when people try to change the definition of a word simply because they don't like something. "It's not an adaptation!" No, it's most definitely an adaptation. By definition it has to be.

Have you heard of fan fiction?

Suppose I wrote out a blog post in which Jamie marries Cersie and rules the Iron throne. Is that an adaptation?

Where is the line in the sand?

Have you heard of fan fiction?

Suppose I wrote out a blog post in which Jamie marries Cersie and rules the Iron throne. Is that an adaptation?

Where is the line in the sand?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/adaptation

adaptation

Syllabification: ad·ap·ta·tion

Pronunciation: /ˌadapˈtāSH(ə)n

/

noun

1The action or process of adapting or being adapted: the adaptation of teaching strategy to meet students' needs adaptations to the school curriculum

1.1A movie, television drama, or stage play that has been adapted from a written work, typically a novel: filming her adaptation of a beloved children’s book

1.2 Biology A change or the process of change by which an organism or species becomes better suited to its environment: living in groups is an adaptation that increases the efficiency of hunting biochemical adaptation in parasites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction

Fan fiction

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fan fiction, or fanfiction (often abbreviated as fan fic, fanfic, or simply fic), is a broadly defined fan labor term for stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator. Works of fan fiction are rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work's owner, creator, or publisher; also, they are almost never professionally published. Due to these works' not being published, stories often contain a disclaimer stating that the creator of the work owns none of the original characters. Fan fiction is defined by being both related to its subject's canonical fictional universe and simultaneously existing outside the canon of that universe.[1] Most fan fiction writers assume that their work is read primarily by other fans, and therefore tend to presume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe (created by a professional writer) in which their works are based.

This should be helpful.

I would imagine nearly every character introduced in Feast or Dance has been cut. As long as Aegon, Euron, Wyman, fArya and (*suspends disbelief*) Victarion and Stoneheart are cast everything's fine.

They're the characters which make Feast and Dance interesting imo.

Funny thing, those look to be the ones cut.

Look, Game of Thrones is a fantastic show with on the most part, excellent acting, directing, cinematography, writing, visual/special effects and high production values, and I can understand some of the changes that Benioff and Weiss decide to embark upon their adaption of the original source material. However, with the continuing divergence between the two in terms of story and characters, I begin to grow worried.

I wonder, if Arianne, Aegon, Jon Connington, Victarion, Euron, FArya, Wyman and Lady Stoneheart are cut, don't they realize how much (despite the book readers being the minority in terms of people watching the show) they are going to anger the fans of these wonderful novels? The people who hyped the show up in the first place? Look I understand that changes have to be made, especially for A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons considering the amount of complexity in those novels. To fit into a television medium, streamlining/simplifying and cutting away the "fat" of the novels is expected and welcomed. However, removing characters such as Arianne and Victarion - who are POV characters in the novels for heaven's sake and the former is an example of the Dornish' cultural advancement compared to the rest of Westeros - is simply going to be weird for many.

I get why they have to change many things to convert the story to a show, but when they make a change that damages the character or storyline or for zero discernable reason, I do get annoyed. Cutting out and combining characters because there's no way to have it all on screen without another 20 hours in the season makes sense. Changing things to provide background and insight you would get from a book POV makes sense. Even killing off minor characters to make room for more makes sense. But changing characters entirely for no disernable reason doesn't make any sense IMO. Making Jaime and Drogo rapists (and then it somehow making sense for the women who were raped to love their rapists after) makes so sense whatsoever.

The talk is that instead, they will combine and distrubute Arianne's personality and role in the novels to Trystane (who is a total nobody in the novels) and the Sand Snakes. Yeah, like those characters will be important to the overall arching story. Also, Ellaria is rumoured to be be playing a heavier hand in the Queenmaker plot, so maybe she will seduce the Kingsguard knight sent with Myrcella. Even though I'll be disappointed in this storyline, I can live with it. My only problem is that they will continually emphasise a romance between Trystane and Myrcella.

There is also a rumour that instead of Aegon claiming the throne, Benioff and Weiss will instead have Trystane and Myrcella make a bid for the throne before Daenerys flies in with her dragons, avoiding the possible convuluted storyline of Faegon. To keep the Lannisters longer in power I guess, since D&D seem to favour them more than any other family.

The final thing they might change is that instead of Euron and Victarion, they will mold their roles into Yara. How that would, I have no idea.

My main point is: Do Benioff and Weiss understand that they are going to piss off a lot of readers by changing so much of the book canon? Are they underestimating the intelligence of their audience in keeping up with the complexity of the story?

Archived