Who informed Gerold Hightower where Rhaegar was?

Chilli

King Aerys II sent Gerold Hightower to find Rhaegar. Who told Gerold Hightower that Rhaegar was in the Tower of Joy? Was it Aerys himself or Varys or someone else?

After the sack someone told Ned where to find Lyanna. Was that the same person who told Gerold Hightower or someone else? I thought Ashara Dayne was involved, but would she also have informed Gerold Hightower? Or did Varys inform both men?

The person(s) that informed Gerold and/or Ned, would they/he know about Jon? If it was Varys, he would have some spies near the Tower of Joy or in Starfall.

Well I'm not familiar with all the details but if thats true it seems like Gerold took Arthur Dayne and the other guy with him so I'd agree with the above post. If he knew right where to go and that he was safe at the time I doubt he would have taken the best swordsmen in the guard away from the king.

Well someone posted inbetween my post and the one I mentioned but I guess that post could be correct also.

Well I'm not familiar with all the details but if thats true it seems like Gerold took Arthur Dayne and the other guy with him so I'd agree with the above post. If he knew right where to go and that he was safe at the time I doubt he would have taken the best swordsmen in the guard away from the king.

Well someone posted inbetween my post and the one I mentioned but I guess that post could be correct also.

Dayne and Whent seem to have been with Rhaegar the entire time and Hightower shows up later

Maybe I am mistaken, but to me it was always pretty clear that Hightower and the others were there on Rhaegar's orders, to protect whatever he wanted them to protect there.

As for why Ned found it, probably because it was a likely option. Surely quite a few people knew that Rhaegar had built himself a tower in the Red Mountains. And since it was well known that Rhaegar had abducted Lyanna (even if that might not be true), surely there was someone in King's Landing who was eager to show his loyalty to his new masters, and told Ned that the Tower of Joy might be a good place to look for Lyanna.

From what I understand, Hightower must have tracked him down by finding someone who was willing to talk or got lucky and stumbled there (looking at every abandoned tower in the land, perhaps). Given that Rhaegar almost certainly was trying to keep Lyanna from Aerys, there is very little chance Aerys (or Varys) knew where Rhaegar was. The KG were not part of a plot to bring down Aerys. At the ToJ, the KG state that if they had been at KL, they would have stopped Jaime and Aerys would have remained on the throne. So the KG at ToJ, including Hightower, were loyal to Aerys. Hightower did not take Whent and Dayne with him, they were assigned to Rhaeger and were with Rhaegar at ToJ. Hightower joins them later when he finds Rhaegar and Rhaegar agrees to go back to KL, but we don't know exactly how HIghtower finds them. That is one of the mysteries of the book.

Maybe I am mistaken, but to me it was always pretty clear that Hightower and the others were there on Rhaegar's orders, to protect whatever he wanted them to protect there.

As for why Ned found it, probably because it was a likely option. Surely quite a few people knew that Rhaegar had built himself a tower in the Red Mountains. And since it was well known that Rhaegar had abducted Lyanna (even if that might not be true), surely there was someone in King's Landing who was eager to show his loyalty to his new masters, and told Ned that the Tower of Joy might be a good place to look for Lyanna.

I don't think so. Hightower was sent by Aerys to find Rhaegar. When Hightower finds Rhaegar, Rhaegar apparently convinces Hightower to stay at ToJ while Rhaegar goes back to KL (probably with Whent and Dayne, who likely go immediately back to ToJ after bringing Rhaegar to KL). Whent and Dayne were assigned to Rhaegar. Hightower was not--he was LC of KG.

I don't think Rhaegar built the tower, I believe it was an old abandoned tower. I doubt anyone at KL knew about ToJ or directed Ned to ToJ. ToJ was as much a secret form Aerys and Robert (they both would have wanted to find Lyanna). Hightower and Ned found ToJ some other way. We cannot be sure how at this point.

I don't think so. Hightower was sent by Aerys to find Rhaegar. When Hightower finds Rhaegar, Rhaegar apparently convinces Hightower to stay at ToJ while Rhaegar goes back to KL (probably with Whent and Dayne, who likely go immediately back to ToJ after bringing Rhaegar to KL). Whent and Dayne were assigned to Rhaegar. Hightower was not--he was LC of KG.

I don't think Rhaegar built the tower, I believe it was an old abandoned tower. I doubt anyone at KL knew about ToJ or directed Ned to ToJ. ToJ was as much a secret form Aerys and Robert (they both would have wanted to find Lyanna). Hightower and Ned found ToJ some other way. We cannot be sure how at this point.

Maybe they just asked around? There's always someone who heard or saw something. And if you get what five such people heard or saw you can often put together a pretty good picture.

I've never actually thought about it-but one person seems likely to know something-the all powerful, all knowning Varys

What Rhaegar probably wanted was to stay away from Varys. Remember that, allegedly, he wanted to meet with important Lords during the Tourney of Harrenhal and Varys ruined that by telling Aerys to show up.

I guess that Rhaegar choosing the ToJ was precisely because no one could find them there, specially Varys.

Maybe they just asked around? There's always someone who heard or saw something. And if you get what five such people heard or saw you can often put together a pretty good picture.

Maybe--but if Rhaegar and Lyanna were that easy to find, I suspect others would have found them.

My feeling is that the Tower of Joy was a some what secretive retreat for Rhaegar.

If this was the place you were going to take your new love and then have her birth your child, you don't just take her to some abandoned shack in the middle of nowhere.

I am sure that it was not a Royal palace but I would think that it was furnished with fine furniture and rugs, it must have had guard/ servant quarters of some kind plus probably some sort of kitchen.

This would have been a place that would give comfort and respite for Rhaegar and Lyanna. Not just some place they found out while running off together.

So, there had to be some people around the capitol that knew of it, that arranged for the furnishings, or the supplies and such. Maybe that knew Rhaegar went there from time to time.

The fact that it is Dorne could also mean that it was a place that was either given to Rhaegar from Ellia's family or connection to it from her Dorne contacts.

I think that whoever told Gerold, told Ned as well.. I've seen Rhaella been suggested for Gerold, but then, how did Ned find out? So I personally doubt that Rhaella knew.

For Ned, I think he found out while lifting the Siege at Storms End. Had he known before, I don't think he would have stopped personally at Storm's End first. And since Storm's End then might also be a place that Gerold passed during his search, I guess it would have been someone amongst the Tyrell-force.

But who, and why that person, I don't know..

Hightower knew where Rhaegar was located. I think Rhaegar's parents (the King and Queen) knew where he was -- it was not common knowledge - but small circle knew about ToJ.

I also think Hightower left with a small force of Targaryen loyalists - which accompanied Rhaegar back to K/L while the 3 kingsguard remained at ToJ.

Hightower knew where Rhaegar was located. I think Rhaegar's parents (the King and Queen) knew where he was -- it was not common knowledge - but small circle knew about ToJ.

I also think Hightower left with a small force of Targaryen loyalists - which accompanied Rhaegar back to K/L while the 3 kingsguard remained at ToJ.

It seems highly unlikely that the King--Aerys--knew where Rhaegar was. Aerys would have considered Lyanna to be an important hostage. If he knew where she was, he would have ordered Hightower to get her and bring her back. We cannot know for sure, I suppose, but given Aerys's state of mind, it seems highly likely that he did not know where Rhaegar was.

It seems highly unlikely that the King--Aerys--knew where Rhaegar was. Aerys would have considered Lyanna to be an important hostage. If he knew where she was, he would have ordered Hightower to get her and bring her back. We cannot know for sure, I suppose, but given Aerys's state of mind, it seems highly likely that he did not know where Rhaegar was.

Are you saying that Aerys didn't know that Lyanna was with Rhaegar? Almost the whole kingdom did... If Aerys wanted Lyanna as a hostage he would have told Hightower to bring them both back. I have mentioned before that I believe that Aerys was aware of R+L, and that Rhaegar and Aerys had reached an agreement.

Are you saying that Aerys didn't know that Lyanna was with Rhaegar? Almost the whole kingdom did... If Aerys wanted Lyanna as a hostage he would have told Hightower to bring them both back. I have mentioned before that I believe that Aerys was aware of R+L, and that Rhaegar and Aerys had reached an agreement.

You are right that of course Aerys knew they were together, I just meant he did not know they were at ToJ. But you make a valid point, which is why did Aerys not order Hightower to bring both Rhaegar AND Lyanna back to KL? Perhaps at that point it was more important to just get Rhaegar back to lead the troops and Aerys knew that he would have a harder time convincing Rhaegar if he also made Lyanna come back as well. Earlier, however, before Aerys felt he needed Rhaegar to lead the troops, if he had known exactly where R&L were, I would think he would have ordered Hightower to fetch Lyanna. But that is pure speculation.

My instinct is that Areys and Rhaegar had not reached an agreement. If they had, I would have expected Rhaegar to bring Lyanna to KL for safety. He did not because Lyanna would not be safe with Aerys. In fact, my best guess is that while everyone knew R&L were together, it was the marriage that was really secret. Rhaegar needed Lyanna to give birth before revealing the marriage because polygamy was not widely accepted and Aerys might have annulled the marriage. Aerys was much less likely to annul the marriage if a baby had been born.

Archived