Who informed Gerold Hightower where Rhaegar was?

Chilli

My thinking has been that it was Varys. I believe he served Rhaegar & knew that Rhaegar was planning to take control of the Kingdom & that he would need to convince the Lord Commander of The Kingsguard behind him if he was to be successful. When Aerys demanded Hightower to find Rhaegar, under orders, Varys told him exactly were to find him. Then (Yet to be explained) Rhaegar convinced Hightower to recognise him as king.

My thinking has been that it was Varys. I believe he served Rhaegar & knew that Rhaegar was planning to take control of the Kingdom & that he would need to convince the Lord Commander of The Kingsguard behind him if he was to be successful. When Aerys demanded Hightower to find Rhaegar, under orders, Varys told him exactly were to find him. Then (Yet to be explained) Rhaegar convinced Hightower to recognise him as king.

I would say its the opposite,

Every decision we have seen Varys make has been one that mad the Kingdom more unstable rather than less. He like to wrap it up in a nice bow and say its for the good of the Kingdom but he has been softening up the Kingdom for his scheme for quite some time.

A Rhaegar on the Throne would be good for the Kingdom (at the very least better that Aerys), so it seems to me that he was the one telling Aerys about Rhaegar's intentions toward the Throne.

Rhaegar came back to Kings Landing with the army of Dorne. With Dorne already insulted it would be a hell of a mistake to bring Lyanna.

Yet if Aerys knew where R/L was and did not order her to be brought to him some how is illogical. You can bring the North and the Stormlands Lords to heel with the threat of her life.

Rhaegar came back to Kings Landing with the army of Dorne. With Dorne already insulted it would be a hell of a mistake to bring Lyanna.

Yet if Aerys knew where R/L was and did not order her to be brought to him some how is illogical. You can bring the North and the Stormlands Lords to heel with the threat of her life.

Rhaegar and the Dornish army arrived at KL separately ;) Rhaegar arrived at KL multiple weeks (perhaps as early as 1,5 month) before the Trident, the Dornish army did so only shortly before the Trident.

A Rhaegar on the Throne would be good for the Kingdom (at the very least better that Aerys), so it seems to me that he was the one telling Aerys about Rhaegar's intentions toward the Throne.

And why wouldn't he tell Aerys about Rhaegars secret plans? Even though Rhaegar would have made a better king than Aerys did, most likely, Aerys was still the king, and any plans from Rhaegar to remove him would be forms of treason. So Varys was performing his duty when warning Aerys..

And why wouldn't he tell Aerys about Rhaegars secret plans? Even though Rhaegar would have made a better king than Aerys did, most likely, Aerys was still the king, and any plans from Rhaegar to remove him would be forms of treason. So Varys was performing his duty when warning Aerys..

That's what I am saying, that Varys worked to keep Aerys on the Throne.

Archived