Season 5 Casting v.3 [spoilers included]

jentario

The good thing about Ciarin Hind's Mance is that we've seen so little of him that they can pretty much have him do whatever they want. I reckon they'll ditch the glamour part of the plot, but not sending Mance off to Winterfell would be rather silly as that's the entirety of his actions in ADWD.

I thought he was miscast in season 3, but I thought he did a great job in S4.E10, so I'm keeping an open mind. I just don't see him as the jovial minstrel role that Abel plays in Winterfell. That's not to say he couldn't infiltrate Winterfell under a different guise.

Updated list, with my reasoning for each character. Confirmed characters in bold:

• Arianne Martell - Just really hoping for her at this point. Evidence suggests she's been cut but it makes no sense.

• Doran Martell

• Trystane Martell

• Nymeria Sand

• Tyene Sand

• Obara Sand

• Areo Hotah

• Gerold “Darkstar” Dayne - Obara and Areo have been cast and in TWOW they're hunting DS. Seems like that plot will be important.

• Randyll Tarly - Been mentioned a lot, and is speculated to have an important role in TWOW. Fleshes out the Tyrell entourage.

• Taena of Myr - Provides some fanservice and a means of externalising Cersei's thoughts.

• The High Septon

• Septon Unella

• Maggy the Frog

• Lollys Stokeworth

• Falyse Stokeworth - They went in to too much detail about the Stokeworth inheritance not to include it.

• Myranda Royce - They'll be bringing some of Sansa's TWOW story forwards and Randa promises to play a major role.

• Harry “The Heir” Hardyng - As does Harry though I can see him being postponed until S6.

• Victarion Greyjoy - Could be cut, but depends entirely on what his and Euron's roles in TWOW will be.

• Euron Greyjoy - Can't be cut unless the entirety of the Ironborn arc is cut. The central piece.

• Aeron Greyjoy - Just Asha vs. Euron is too thin an arc. We need someone to flesh out the Isles so why not Bryan Cogman's favourite character who has been promised an important role in TWOW?

• Val - There's no reason for her to have been cast yet so there's no evidence for or against. Hinted to become more important later.

• Varamyr Sixskins

• Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun - They've made a passing comment about the giants which suggests they'll be in S5.

• Ser Patrek “The Giantslayer” of King’s Mountain - And with Val and Wun Wun comes Ser Patrek.

• Ser Justin Massey - Maybe postponed till S6, but I think fleshing out Stannis' forces would be good.

• Mors Umber - A composite of the Manderly's and the Flints.

• Barbrey Dustin - Represents the Northern Lords within Winterfell.

• Jeyne Poole - Seems too pivotal to the Northern story to be cut, though her lack of casting in season's 2 and 3 is worrisome.

• Spearwife Holly - If Mance's infiltration of Winterfell is in, at least one Spearwife will likely be cast.

• Spearwife Rowan - and probably at least two.

• Dareon - A vital part of Sam's character development and a pretty important part of Arya's. Could be replaced with Edd, painful as that would be.

• The Waif

• Bellegere Otherys - If the speculation that Arya will work with the courtesans in TWOW is true, it makes sense to bring that forwards. It provides a means to unite Sam and Arya's arcs, and no one wants to see Arya selling clams for a season.

• Jon Connington - I think the Aegon plot is far too important to cut and Joncon is key.

• Aegon Blackfyre - As is, you know...Aegon.

• Septa Lemore - Less key, but there's something going on with her. Plus, eye candy.

• Harry Strickland - The Golden Company will be in, it needs a leader.

• Vogarro’s Whore - Depends on if Volantis and a slave uprising there becomes important. If so, she could be a one-scene wonder this season and then appear in S6.

• The Green Grace - Probably the Harpy.

• Skahaz “The Shavepate” Mo Kandaq - Could be cut fairly easily but I think showing a Meereenese on Dany's side would be good, especially to give her cause some more moral ambiguity.

• King Cleon - I think they've set things up for us to see the goings on in Astapor and Meereen first hand.

• The Tattered Prince - Combined with Brown Ben - Tyrion needs a sellsword company to join.

• Yezzan zo Quaggaz

Updated list, with my reasoning for each character. Confirmed characters in bold:

• Arianne Martell - Just really hoping for her at this point. Evidence suggests she's been cut but it makes no sense.

• Doran Martell

Trystane Martell

Nymeria Sand

Tyene Sand

Obara Sand

Areo Hotah

Gerold “Darkstar” Dayne - Obara and Areo have been cast and in TWOW they're hunting DS. Seems like that plot will be important.

Randyll Tarly - Been mentioned a lot, and is speculated to have an important role in TWOW. Fleshes out the Tyrell entourage.

Taena of Myr - Provides some fanservice and a means of externalising Cersei's thoughts.

The High Septon

Septon Unella

Maggy the Frog

Lollys Stokeworth - Mentioned explicitly by Bronn.

Falyse Stokeworth - Same here. They went in to too much detail about the Stokeworth inheritance not to include it.

Myranda Royce - They'll be bringing some of Sansa's TWOW story forwards and Randa promises to play a major role.

Harry “The Heir” Hardyng - As does Harry though I can see him being postponed until S6.

Victarion Greyjoy - Could be cut, but depends entirely on what his and Euron's roles in TWOW will be.

Euron Greyjoy - Can't be cut unless the entirety of the Ironborn arc is cut. The central piece.

Aeron Greyjoy - Just Asha vs. Euron is too thin an arc. We need someone to flesh out the Isles so why not Bryan Cogman's favourite character who has been promised an important role in TWOW?

Val - There's no reason for her to have been cast yet so there's no evidence for or against. Hinted to become more important later.

Varamyr Sixskins

Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun - They've made a passing comment about the giants which suggests they'll be in S5.

Ser Patrek “The Giantslayer” of King’s Mountain - And with Val and Wun Wun comes Ser Patrek.

Ser Justin Massey - Maybe postponed till S6, but I think fleshing out Stannis' forces would be good.

Mors Umber - A composite of the Manderly's and the Flints.

Barbrey Dustin - Represents the Northern Lords within Winterfell.

Jeyne Poole - Seems too pivotal to the Northern story to be cut, though her lack of casting in season's 2 and 3 is worrisome.

Spearwife Holly - If Mance's infiltration of Winterfell is in, at least one Spearwife will likely be cast.

Spearwife Rowan - and probably at least two.

Dareon - A vital part of Sam's character development and a pretty important part of Arya's. Could be replaced with Edd, painful as that would be.

The Waif

Bellegere Otherys - If the speculation that Arya will work with the courtesans in TWOW is true, it makes sense to bring that forwards. It provides a means to unite Sam and Arya's arcs, and no one wants to see Arya selling clams for a season.

Jon Connington - I think the Aegon plot is far too important to cut and Joncon is key.

Aegon Blackfyre - As is, you know...Aegon.

Septa Lemore - Less key, but there's something going on with her. Plus, eye candy.

Harry Strickland - The Golden Company will be in, it needs a leader.

Vogarro’s Whore - Depends on if Volantis and a slave uprising there becomes important. If so, she could be a one-scene wonder this season and then appear in S6.

The Green Grace - Probably the Harpy.

Skahaz “The Shavepate” Mo Kandaq - Could be cut fairly easily but I think showing a Meereenese on Dany's side would be good, especially to give her cause some more moral ambiguity.

King Cleon - I think they've set things up for us to see the goings on in Astapor and Meereen first hand.

The Tattered Prince - Combined with Brown Ben - Tyrion needs a sellsword company to join.

Yezzan zo Quaggaz

lollys is also confirmed. i actually think that cersei might toss lollys to qyburn instead of falyse

I thought he was miscast in season 3, but I thought he did a great job in S4.E10, so I'm keeping an open mind. I just don't see him as the jovial minstrel role that Abel plays in Winterfell. That's not to say he couldn't infiltrate Winterfell under a different guise.

I agree he was a lot better in S4 (I think the terrible conditions in Iceland dragged everyone down.) which is why I'm more open to the Abel thing again. As you say, he doesn't have to be a jolly singer. He could be more sombre, or not a singer at all.

lollys is also confirmed. i actually think that cersei might toss lollys to qyburn instead of falyse

I think if that was the case they'd never have mentioned the Stokeworth inheritance. Falyse exists in show canon and as a rule most characters which are mentioned appear in person, save for those already dead.

Unrelated to the current discussion, but anyway - here are my thoughts on the characters which will be cast this season. I'm not sure on all of them, but I think all these characters have at least got good odds of being cast:

• Arianne Martell *I wish I'm wrong, very bad move on D&D if I'm right

• Doran Martell

Trystane Martell

Nymeria Sand

Tyene Sand

Obara Sand

Areo Hotah

Gerold “Darkstar” Dayne *I think they can make due without him unless he is absolutely important

Randyll Tarly

Taena of Myr *I think the King's Landing cast list is done, Qyburn will become her righthand man rather than Taena

The High Septon

Septon Unella

Maggy the Frog

Lollys Stokeworth

Falyse Stokeworth *we may see her as a bit part, for one episode, but even that I doubt (especially with Bronn in Dorne)

Myranda Royce *depends, but I think they'll need new characters here (who better?)

Harry “The Heir” Hardyng *I have a pet theory that he can be replaced by Gendry, and he could be cut out entirely if he is a red herring. Again, it depends

Victarion Greyjoy *I want to say yes but for now I'll keep my hopes down

Euron Greyjoy

Aeron Greyjoy *no need, maybe a one episode cameo but definitely nothing special

Val

Varamyr Sixskins

Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun *D&D saying the giants are madder than ever makes me hopeful for this one

Ser Patrek “The Giantslayer” of King’s Mountain *extra to featured extra, not what I'd call a casting

Ser Justin Massey *only if he's important and can't be replace, though I think he'll be necessary if Stannis separates from Davos

Mors Umber *Rickon going to Last Hearth implies we'll see an Umber

Barbrey Dustin *I'm not sure on this one, she can be easily cut but you do need some lords in Winterfell aside from Manderly (as featured extras?) she could be great to watch

Jeyne Poole *not sure if it'll be Jeyne Poole per se, but fake Arya needs to be cast

Spearwife Holly *featured extra

Spearwife Rowan *featured extra

Dareon *they like giving Sam what to do so I assume he's in

The Waif

Bellegere Otherys *if she becomes important, cast her when it happens (which isn't season 5)

Jon Connington

Aegon Blackfyre

Septa Lemore

Harry Strickland *I don't even remember who he is so I'll assume he's cuttable :P

Vogarro’s Whore *as a one-off, I'd love to see her, but she is so easily cuttable that it's sad

The Green Grace *They'll have to cast some Meereen characters or the show version will be even more boring than the book version. She is the Harpy, so it could be great to see her interact with Hizdahr.

Skahaz “The Shavepate” Mo Kandaq *assuming he's the poisoner, he's important (and he makes the Meereenese court actually have Meereenese advisors!). They could do it without him, though.

King Cleon *I'm going to say no but perhaps that's the role that Keith Allen played for- a slave that rebels. I don't see why they'd include him, he doesn't ever show up in the book. Maybe he replaces Brown Ben Plumm?

The Tattered Prince *Only if he's important later on or if he's combined with Brown Ben Plumm

Yezzan zo Quaggaz

the actor who plays qyburn said that he'll be in 5 episodes next season, now obviously thats a decent amount but we all know that lena headey will obviously be in more than 5 episodes next season. is qyburn being in 5 episodes enough for him to take over the role of taena who cersei hangs out with all the time in affc i wonder??? either way, i can't see qyburn having more than 20 minutes of sreentime next season.

also i hope you guys are wrong about val not being cast. jon/val is one of my otps. i feel like septa lemore will make it in because D&D are hardcore tyrion fanboys and they probably love that scene of lemore flirting with tyrion. i hope quentyn is cast too because his death is just so great/hillarious

the actor who plays qyburn said that he'll be in 5 episodes next season, now obviously thats a decent amount but we all know that lena headey will obviously be in more than 5 episodes next season. is qyburn being in 5 episodes enough for him to take over the role of taena who cersei hangs out with all the time in affc i wonder??? either way, i can't see qyburn having more than 20 minutes of sreentime next season.

also i hope you guys are wrong about val not being cast. jon/val is one of my otps. i feel like septa lemore will make it in because D&D are hardcore tyrion fanboys and they probably love that scene of lemore flirting with tyrion. i hope quentyn is cast too because his death is just so great/hillarious

Well Qyburn takes over Varys's role in KL, so if they have a few small council meetings, then 5 episodes seems plausible.

as for aeron you could have said the same thing about aero. he is in a good spot in the sense he is the last greyjoy left in the iron islands. He may have a role interacting with yara and theon assuming they survive the battle and return and overturning the kingsmoot. He may be harder to replace than Vic.

Well Qyburn takes over Varys's role in KL, so if they have a few small council meetings, then 5 episodes seems plausible.

lol so is cersei's small council just going to be pycelle and qyburn i wonder?? i wonder if they'll bring kevan back. i also wonder who will be hand of the king. i have a feeling king's landing will be a hot mess next season especially since both jaime and bronn are going to dorne.

I think Cersei will be in 7-8 episodes in season 5 so Qyburn being in 5 will work (she'll have Jamie for a couple of episodes too).

as for aeron you could have said the same thing about aero. he is in a good spot in the sense he is the last greyjoy left in the iron islands. He may have a role interacting with yara and theon assuming they survive the battle and return and overturning the kingsmoot. He may be harder to replace than Vic.

True, I guess

Unless they're completely eliminating what seems to be a major moral dilemma/turning point in Littlefinger's design to kill Robin, there needs to be a Harry (in whatever capacity we see him in the books), because there's no basis for that plot otherwise -- Littlefinger's power in the Vale depends entirely on Robin still being alive.

I think Cersei will be in 7-8 episodes in season 5

well she was in 9 episodes this season and she was barely in the last half of asos. so i actually think that she'll be in 9-10 episodes next season, considering how many pov chapters she has. i bet D&D love how much crazy she brings in affc. they clearly love lena headey too, i can see them pushing for her to get an emmy nomination next season.

lol so is cersei's small council just going to be pycelle and qyburn i wonder?? i wonder if they'll bring kevan back. i also wonder who will be hand of the king. i have a feeling king's landing will be a hot mess next season especially since both jaime and bronn are going to dorne.

Mace?

Yara needs someone to run against in the Queensmoot....Euron.

well she was in 9 episodes this season and she was barely in the last half of asos. so i actually think that she'll be in 9-10 episodes next season, considering how many pov chapters she has. i bet D&D love how much crazy she brings in affc. they clearly love lena headey too, i can see them pushing for her to get an emmy nomination next season.

I agree. Next season is huge for her.

@Coldhands - Harry Strickland is the current leader of the Golden Company. That's definitely going to be in unless there's been a drastic change of plans. They could just have Joncon lead it though, however I'd give Strickland good odds of being cast. It gives Joncon someone to talk to.

For Cersei's small council I'm predicting Pycelle, Qyburn, Kevan and Mace. Maybe Randyll Tarly.

Mace?

Yara needs someone to run against in the Queensmoot....Euron.

lmao show!mace is even a bigger oaf than book!mace. i guess they could display show!cersei appointing him as hand to emphasize how unhinged she is. but one of the major reasons why cersei falls hard in affc is because she refuses to share any power with the tyrells, but D&D are just writing their own fanfiction at this point so........

Archived