Khal Jhaqo will be dragon food… what a nonsense!

Mithras

The power of the dragon comes from its flight. As soon as Drogon takes flight, there's little the horselords could do, assuming their arrows can't hurt a fast moving dragon. You really need scorpions to fight dragons, which I don't think the Dothrakis have. A dragon rider is fairly useless in terms of damage output, but he/she would provide direction to the dragon, thus forming a potent team.

Paper Weaver,

I think you are right about how small Drogon still is for sure, and that the Dothraki were probably hunting him. I dont think they expected Dany to be with him. She is the key here. Without her, Drogon is just a wild untamed beast with no rider. BUt while she is there, Drogon is more or less under her command. We see from the Rogue Prince that riding a dragon for the first time is all it takes to solidify a bond (Aemond and Vhagar), he jumped on the dragons back and flew on him for only a minute and that is all it took for Vhagar to be his unconditionally.. When Drogon landed in the pit, Dany had never ridden him, so they did not have that one last connection which made the bond complete. But after she rode him they are bound for life now until one of them dies. This is shown when Drogon comes to her while she is bleeding and dehydrating to death trying to walk back to Meereen. He comes to her on his own when she is in trouble and saves her. This is how they will be from now on, he can fully sense everything she feels now, and comes to her when she needs him. Not only that, but after he picked her up what is the first thing he did? Roast a horse so that she could eat, and she had just been thinking how hungry she was and she knew she was about to starve. So he helps her by getting her dinner.

Anyway my point is, now he is under her control, he is not a wild beast. So her being there with him makes him a useful ally at this point, not something they need to hunt and kill. Jhago and his dothraki definitely have the upper hand in that situation, you are right about that, and they probably could kill Dany and Drogon if they wanted, but who doesnt covet a dragon when they see it like that? Jhago is not stupid, a dragon is a terrible thing to waste, he will make use of Drogon/Dany. Dany is the voice of the dragon to the dothraki, and she speaks dothraki very well. Drogon will be calm since Dany is there and she will be able to make a deal with Jhago, IMO.

Jhaqo summons Neo Bahamut and ends the battle quickly! Game over! :devil:

Seriously, he and his 50 riders are BBQ in this case, if it comes to blows. I'd try a peaceful avenue, with her and Drogon.

If I was him I would call in Yazmat instead of Neo-Bahamut )

Well, apart from Daenerys swearing bloody vengeance, and that Dothraki would never let the opportunity to kill a Dragon slip by, or Jhaqo wanting to finish what he started with Drogo.

Not that I'm saying it couldn't end diplomatically, only that you shouldn't assume that thinking it will end in fire and blood is baseless.

Im not saying that it's baseless, but it's too straightfoward. Im not buying such an obvious and quick outcome.

Although it might have been a random and maybe minor cliffhanger, it's still a CH and i have my doubts that, despite Dany swearing she'd kill them, there won't be twist to their meeting. Im seeing Khal Jhaqo pleadging his allegience to her.

Drogon is, what? 3 years old? He isn't fully grown yet. But he will be as big as Balerion when he grows to adulthood.

"Balerion died in 94AC, of old age during the reign of King Jaehaerys I, around two hundred years old."

He was around 100 years old when the Conquest took place, so it would take quite some time to Drogon reach his size. Assuming he lives. lol

Im not saying that it's baseless, but it's too straightfoward. Im not buying such an obvious and quick outcome.

Although it might have been a random and maybe minor cliffhanger, it's still a CH and i have my doubts that, despite Dany swearing she'd kill them, there won't be twist to their meeting. Im seeing Khal Jhaqo pleadging his allegience to her.

GRRM has confirmed that Mago will be an antagonist to Dany in TWOW. That implies that Dany survives the encounter with Khal Jhaqo, and deals with the Dothraki over an extended period of time. Perhaps Jhaqo will bend the knee, or offer an alliance (or pretend to) but Mago will find it impossible to conceal his loathing for Dany. Or perhaps Mago will be the price Dany demands, in return for forgiving Jhaqo. Or perhaps she kills Jhaqo and Mago will seek revenge.

It gets harder and harder to tell what is serious and what isn't.

OF COURSE Drogon is going to go dracarys on the Khal, and the rest of the Dothraki will bow down to her, take her back to Vaas Dothrak and her vision of being there from the House of the Undying will come true, and presto, she has her khalisar.

I can´t think of any other outcome than Drogon killing Jhaqo and the Khalasar following Dany in the end. I mean what would be the point of the whole bonding of Dany and Drogon if they are killed/defeated more or less in a random fight. Sure, it may be a bit cheap if Dany would suddenly have an unstoppable army and a big fleet, yet somehow this plotline has to take a turn towards Westeros.

I don't think they were hunting Drogon, but with winter arriving in the Dothraki Sea, their horse herd had become Drogon's main food source. I think they would drive him off, and take Dany back to VD where she wuld be tried not just for blood magic, but breaking the taboo of spilling blood in VD when Viserys left he tent with a cut on his forehead (from the medallion in self-defense).

If they leave for VD, I think Drogon may follow them for simple reasons of survival. It is not uncommon for predators to migrate with their prey over long-distances.

I think Drogon will arrive just in time for Dany, and she will climb upon him. With Drogon she can kill in VD without breaking the taboo of not spilling blood. Dragons were also the only thing Dothraki historically feared with the possible exception of Unsullied.

Anyway my point is, now he is under her control, he is not a wild beast. So her being there with him makes him a useful ally at this point, not something they need to hunt and kill. Jhago and his dothraki definitely have the upper hand in that situation, you are right about that, and they probably could kill Dany and Drogon if they wanted, but who doesnt covet a dragon when they see it like that? Jhago is not stupid, a dragon is a terrible thing to waste, he will make use of Drogon/Dany. Dany is the voice of the dragon to the dothraki, and she speaks dothraki very well. Drogon will be calm since Dany is there and she will be able to make a deal with Jhago, IMO.

Except Drogon would likely be attacked, and he is not fully-trained. He would likely leave if attacked by fifty men. Jhaqo is Dothraki, and Drogon has been attacking their most important animals: horses. I think he would be bound to take Dany back to VD to be a dosh khaleen.

Drogon was going to leave Dany in the pit too. She jumped on him at the last instant and it was after a tiresome whip work.

This is not accurate with what has been written in the text.

“No, no, no.
Get DOWN!” His answering roar was full of fear and fury, full of pain. His wings beat once, twice … … and folded. The dragon gave one last hiss and stretched out flat upon his belly. Black blood
was flowing from the wound where the spear had pierced him, smoking where it dripped onto the
scorched sands
Drogon bent the knee to Dany, in other words she tamed him just like Aemond tamed Vhagar and she is now a dragonlord/rider.

The bond between Drogon and Daenerys is often underestimated on this forum. There is no way in hell he leaves Daenerys in harm's way imo.

Agreed, he saved her from the undying, why not now?

Except Drogon would likely be attacked, and he is not fully-trained. He would likely leave if attacked by fifty men. Jhaqo is Dothraki, and Drogon has been attacking their most important animals: horses. I think he would be bound to take Dany back to VD to be a dosh khaleen.

Why would they attack Drogon? The khalasar were clearly afraid of him thats why they were riding away quickly, what makes more sense is that they notice the beast they are afraid of is under Dany's command so they will follow her strength.

the Dragon is larger than a horse, flies and breathes fire. It eats horses for lunch and has a penchant for killing people. It obeyed Dany after it was injured and bleeding. It loves dany like a dog/horse combo. The riders are doomed

I never really thought about the Dothraki hunting the dragon before. All this time I thought it was a coincidence they happened upon them, but now that I think about it they didn't catch the "scouts" off guard at all. Those scouts were lures, and Drogon is less powerful than I thought he was. Surrounded by the khalasar it's a real possibility Drogon is killed or badly wounded.

This could clue in on why Mago, Khal Jaqo's bloodrider, might be significant next book. Thanks OP, I've been thinking on this for months.

This is not accurate with what has been written in the text.

“No, no, no.

Get DOWN!” His answering roar was full of fear and fury, full of pain. His wings beat once, twice … … and folded. The dragon gave one last hiss and stretched out flat upon his belly. Black blood

was flowing from the wound where the spear had pierced him, smoking where it dripped onto the

scorched sands

Drogon bent the knee to Dany, in other words she tamed him just like Aemond tamed Vhagar and she is now a dragonlord/rider.

Agreed, he saved her from the undying, why not now?

Why would they attack Drogon? The khalasar were clearly afraid of him thats why they were riding away quickly, what makes more sense is that they notice the beast they are afraid of is under Dany's command so they will follow her strength.

Yes, this is more or less exactly what I was saying, totally agreed :) . Drogon is under Dany's control now. They have always had an amazing bond, but now she is the dragonlord. When she was flying on him she was already learning about his flying techniques and steering him. he didnt do exactly what she wanted, but I guarantee she will have him under control shortly. PLUS and this is a big plus.....all the dragons in PatQ and TRP all had saddles and Drogon doesnt. Dany is learning everything like it is the first time it has ever been done, she has no help no teachers and no books, but she is still doing a really great job. I am 100% sure that she is not going to be killed at the very pinnacle of becoming a dragonlord.

But I agree with the OP that nor will her and Drogon simply burn up Jhago and his dothraki. The way the text is written at the end of DwD it suggests that she is with the dothraki again, not in battle against them or frightened. I had a great feeling at the end of that chapter, like 'here is another misfit bunch Dany is going to take under her wing.'

I just stated why. Drogon has been attacking their horses, their most important animal, and he poses a danger to the khalasar. The men rode away, and then came back with more men, including the khal, to likely drive off Drogon. Jhaqo wouldn't follow her, especially since Mago would disapprove, and they know she would be pissed about what happened to Eroeh and abandoning her and Drogo.

If Dany needs to be the StMtW, she needs to be brought back to VD, and she won't do that willingly.

Archived