[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion #2

Lady Fevre Dream

You're going to rile me up all over again over the Robb Cat story, LOL.

My biggest fear is that the lack of Stark stuff means GRRM is not going to give them any payback, I find that almost impossible to accept or believe, since he was supposedly going to title one of the books A Time for Wolves but thought it gave too much away....but, the show's neglect of idea of a Stark resurgence is kind of perplexing.

I totally am expecting to laugh my ass off next season with Jamie in Dorne, Bronn visiting the Dorne brothel, all the sand snakes being sex crazed freaks, and surely we'll get some Essos brothels as well on Tyrion's journey. Plus, Black Sansa vamping it up. I may need to invent some kind of D&D off the rails drinking game for nitpicking next year.

Sounds like fun, count me in.

I'm not trying to rile you up again, sorry if I am. I wouldn't put much weight to D&D's treatment of the Starks meaning much of anything, other than their lack of continuity issues. I do think with D&D it's moreso the love of the Lannsiters, their created and casted Lannisters, specifically. I really do think it's more about that. After all, these are the ones who put out the word that Tywin Lannister was.......what was it?....neutral villian, or even something more tame? RME

I know I will enjoy some next year, roll my eyes at and laugh at other things, be ready to hire my own FM if they fuck it up with Jaqen (LOL, just kidding for those without a sense of humor, one never knows, LOL), and probably also become frustrated. I think, at this point, they've lost the ability to totally rile me up.

Sounds like fun, count me in.

I'm not trying to rile you up again, sorry if I am. I wouldn't put much weight to D&D's treatment of the Starks meaning much of anything, other than their lack of continuity issues. I do think with D&D it's moreso the love of the Lannsiters, their created and casted Lannisters, specifically. I really do think it's more about that. After all, these are the ones who put out the word that Tywin Lannister was.......what was it?....neutral villian, or even something more tame? RME

I know I will enjoy some next year, roll my eyes at and laugh at other things, be ready to hire my own FM if they fuck it up with Jaqen (LOL, just kidding for those without a sense of humor, one never knows, LOL), and probably also become frustrated. I think, at this point, they've lost the ability to totally rile me up.

Lawful neutral. Whatever the hell that even means.

It has to be beyond nitpicking at this point.. Regardless of the books, even if they were not a thing, most of the shows storylines are absurd. Hound/arya case and point. No one at the gate realized that the infamous Hound and the daughter of the Hand were being looked for by the entire realm and stopped them? Brienne winning the fight with the Hound was total shenanigans. She sucks. and Tyrion got botched so bad hes an entirely different character now. No hatred of his only redeemable family member? No love of his life to brood over for the rest of his miserable lonely days? Tell me, where do whores go?

In relation to the books it seems to me like they are taking different scenes/plot points/inane events, as well as all of the characters, writing them on balls, putting them all into a big manatee tank and letting the manatees decide which characters get what deaths/plot points. Sword through the back of the head in the face of the victim? (brienne in the books, gendry saves her from biter) Jon snow in the show, killing qarl. Jackpot.

The whole thing is one big clusterfuck of irrelavant storylines smashed into a short run time with 90% shitty acting to pull off the 100% shitty dialogue. Fucking beetles dude. Beetles.

ETA: Dany's only thought the entire time she was talking to jorah was "just apologize and we can work this out" and he never does. The show he is on his knees begging like a tool... Oh and fucking sam told jon about bran? Way to simultaneously ruin three arcs with one sentence.

Ah, well, I ranted about the destruction of Robb and Cat's story for the entirety of last season, LOL. From the lack of Northern lords in his story, stupid modern Volantis nurse who doesn't know where Winterfell is, Robb as a selfish prick, Greywind death, Jamie's release, everything....

So, my expectations were much lower this season, and now I am amused by the crazy stuff the show does, like Arya and the Hound at the Vale and Brienne, the nicest character in the series, thugging out on the Hound, while "Asha" one of the most badass characters flees in fear of the big dogs and the guy with no shirt. Nitpicking the show is a form of relaxation now, because I much more know what to expe t though sometimes they still exceed even my low expectations for dumb pointlessness and weirdo decision making...like more time on beetles than Charles Dance death scene. They're funny guys.

You're right, she was the nicest character in the books, and now I am hoping she fights UnGregor, since she the biggest and baddest and all, and he beats the crap out of her, but first he bites off her ear - then I remembered, he can't quite do that. :lol:

I totally am expecting to laugh my ass off next season with Jamie in Dorne, Bronn visiting the Dorne brothel, all the sand snakes being sex crazed freaks, and surely we'll get some Essos brothels as well on Tyrion's journey. Plus, Black Sansa vamping it up. I may need to invent some kind of D&D off the rails drinking game for nitpicking next year.

Thank you for this. I was just going to skip the Sansa vamping it up stuff, I was afraid I would laugh too much. And then start crying. There are characters I really liked in the books, and now I want to laugh at them.

They are going to fuck it up with Jaqen, but at least we get to see him again. That's where I am at this point, just pretty pictures. And he is quite a pretty picture!

It has to be beyond nitpicking at this point.. Regardless of the books, even if they were not a thing, most of the shows storylines are absurd. Hound/arya case and point. No one at the gate realized that the infamous Hound and the daughter of the Hand were being looked for by the entire realm and stopped them? Brienne winning the fight with the Hound was total shenanigans. She sucks.

I know, this was the storyline I was enjoying the most, and they threw this absurdity in there in the end, to muck it all up. Total shenanigans.

That looks to be a recycling of the EW interview that has lead to lots of the spec of no LSH next year, too. Honestly, I do think MF's words cannot be taken to mean, specifically, anything more than Cat being the one who is dead. It's hard to say if the show and or magazines that have an in with them are trying to promote the NO LSH angle just to enable the 'shock,' for next year or is there something to this. Is this a feeling out for reaction, or is it a setup for their season opening surprise next year?

You're right, she was the nicest character in the books, and now I am hoping she fights UnGregor, since she the biggest and baddest and all, and he beats the crap out of her, but first he bites off her ear - then I remembered, he can't quite do that. :lol:

Thank you for this. I was just going to skip the Sansa vamping it up stuff, I was afraid I would laugh too much. And then start crying. There are characters I really liked in the books, and now I want to laugh at them.

See, you have to have a lighthearted approach, and then remember, that D&D can still put together a good scene. The show is full of good scenes, only they often don't connect with each other. Arya and the Hound getting the chickens was fantastic. Tywin melting the sword, great. Tywin and Jamie making the deal during Tyrion's trial, great. Tyrion and the Red Viper, great. A lot of individual great stuff. It's stand alone pieces.

And there is the unintentional comedy, like the Iron Born running away from a man without a shirt on who turns his back on them to let the dogs out. That is comedy gold. Or Sansa going dark in one fell swoop, after parading around the Vale with red hair, that is comedy and crazy all in one scene and not even any dialogue.

And yes, it would be totally hilarious if Brienne went on a killing ear biting rampage with Pod, but, she will probably revert back to her super nice, no violence without provocation self, until she doesn't...so that's sort of the type of "suspense" the show will give you, unorthodox suspense, the character can turn on a dime at any time and then go back.... but still...it's something

They are going to fuck it up with Jaqen, but at least we get to see him again. That's where I am at this point, just pretty pictures. And he is quite a pretty picture!

I've posted some new pretty on the GoT beautiful men thread. I actually like the Kindly Man, too, himself, so I'm looking for a double fucking, hey, wait a minute??? LOL I need to get my ass off the net before my sense of humor gets me in trouble. wink, wink.

I've posted some new pretty on the GoT beautiful men thread. I actually like the Kindly Man, too, himself, so I'm looking for a double fucking, hey, wait a minute??? LOL I need to get my ass off the net before my sense of humor gets me in trouble. wink, wink.

He really is crazy hot, like Marilyn Monroe charisma hot. I can't blame them for bringing him back, but I can blame them for not recognizing his epic hotness and not giving him more screen time back when his character belonged on the show. LOL.

I know, he shouldn't be the Kindly Man, that's all wrong. I was hoping he'd be in the Pate storyline. Make an adaptation change where he can wear the Jaqen face.

And where was the bathhouse scene - this was one of the hottest characters in the books taking a steaming damn hot bath, and they cut it. But there were lots of bewb scenes, of course.

He really is crazy hot, like Marilyn Monroe charisma hot. I can't blame them for bringing him back, but I can blame them for not recognizing his epic hotness and not giving him more screen time back when his character belonged on the show. LOL.

Yes, his scenes were like blink and you missed them. The actor who plays him maxed them out, to his credit. But they gave him no screen time. Then spent all that time on those long stare fests between Arya and Tywin that went nowhere.

I know, he shouldn't be the Kindly Man, that's all wrong. I was hoping he'd be in the Pate storyline. Make an adaptation change where he can wear the Jaqen face.

And where was the bathhouse scene - this was one of the hottest characters in the books taking a steaming damn hot bath, and they cut it. But there were lots of bewb scenes, of course.

Yes, his scenes were like blink and you missed them. The actor who plays him maxed them out, to his credit. But they gave him no screen time. Then spent all that time on those long stare fests between Arya and Tywin that went nowhere.

We needed more Ros and more no name naked extra chicks in LF brothel, or something.

Same with the guy who plays Balon, he's SO good, why couldn't get a few more scenes? Maybe we could have had a tad less, oh, let me think now, Shae? Theon getting tortured? nameless naked chicks in the brothel?

I said it and I will keep saying it.

D&D DO NOT CARE about book readers anymore.They want to cater the majority which is show-only watchers.

They either lied to GRRM in their first meeting. Or they got caught up in the success of the first season and began changing the storylines and characters once they solidified their power in the show's production hierarchy. No one can say no to D&D about the horrible changes. There is no doubt that the direction of the show has heavily changed after the first season. It seems to me that D&D's mostly minor changes in the first season were nothing more than testing the waters. To see how GRRM and the fans would react. Now they know that even major changes will never be challenged by anyone with authority.

It is clear that they do not care about adapting the source material. Now they are about changing the source material to create their own version of ASOIAF that is loosely based on the books. It is exactly what GRRM said he'd never cave into nor compromise. He said he'd never let Hollywood make the books into films because they'd want to cut too much of his material and gut the books into something too narrow. This show is not an adaptation but more of a reboot. Just like how Hollywood reboots their comic book franchises.

In their first meeting GRRM and D&D talked about who Jon's mother was. Yet almost all of the major clues about that question never made it into the show. They suckered GRRM into thinking that they cared about the show by pretending to have deep knowledge base about his lore. GRRM was probably happy to finally be able to talk about who Jon's mother was with someone who could actually get his books into a live action adaptation and was overwhelmed. The big book knowledge discussion that they had about Jon's mother has never materialized on the show. I wonder if GRRM ever thinks about when he asked them who they thought Jon's mother was and how they just threw that storyline away.

The Tower of Joy was left out. Dany's vision of a blue rose in the House of the Undying. Edric Dayne and Jon Snow being connected. The Knight of the Laughing Tree Story. Do non-book readers even know that Jon's parentage is an enormous storyline in the books? Did Robb ever send his last requests to the North on the show naming Jon as an heir to Winterfell? Howland Reed? Promise me Ned?

I think it is fitting that D&D gained GRRM's trust by discussing Jon's parentage only to almost entirely abandon the storyline. Hopefully GRRM is sitting on a ridiculous pile of cash from HBO. Because I doubt that he's particularly impressed with how the show has turned out. This season being particularly appalling to the point where GRRM is doing damage control on his blog.

It sells, why would they even care about us anymore?

:agree: ... :crying: :crying: :crying:

I tried to answer this once and back keyed out of my response and lost it.

ITA on both the amazing hotness and charisma thing with TW as Jaqen, and of course, on the fact that they should have used him a little bit more. I was kind of surprised that the all Jaqen video posted in the threads since the announcement of his return was less than 11 minutes. I knew I spend a lot of time waiting for him in S2, I just didn't realize how little he really was shown.

I used to think the whole Jaqen/TW thing was about him as Jaqen, the hair, the walk, the voice, etc. But now I'm not so sure. Seeing more pictures now of TW as himself (current ones as opposed to his younger days) makes me think it's not JUST Jaqen.

The whole thing is one big clusterfuck of irrelavant storylines smashed into a short run time with 90% shitty acting to pull off the 100% shitty dialogue. Fucking beetles dude. Beetles.

There are a few bad eggs in the cast (Emilia Clark, Aiden Gillen, Sibel Kekilli etc.) but overall it's pretty great, which makes it even more annoying that so many of them are so underused. Stephen Dillane wasn't in season 4 for even 10 minutes!

but by the looks of this season, the producers dont seem to like the books for the reasons George does.

I think our first clue should have been the show being named "Game of Thrones" instead of "A Song of Ice and Fire". It's kinda obvious (now) that they are more interested in the Game of Thrones, which is ironic if we remember that in books, the game of thrones is a distraction from the main real danger, the supernatural stuff happening.

Yes, Peter Dinklage, NCW and Lena are awesome and fan favourites. So, it's natural that they are given more screen time than others characters or plot. But by doing that, they neglected more important players who were at the time developing the supernatural stories, which at least mostly of my Unsullied are starting to like. They are curious about it, and I feel they will be disappointed.

About the changes, I really don't see the logic they are using. For me, there are three kind of changes that are absolutely acceptable.

1. For the sake of the medium. For instance, Barristan's arrival to Dany. In books we never see his face, but in TV we should have, so, no mystery. The shock value was the surprise and it was well portrayed.

2. Dialogues that add character. We have so many monologues and thoughts in the books that are impossible to portrait in a medium like TV, so, having conversations between characters helps. For example, Cersei and Robert in the first season.

3. Switching characters. Like Arya being Tywin's cupbearer. Having two good actors interact is actually a delight.

Other kind of changes really make no sense. I agree that it's needed to move some things around for readers to have the same feeling of uncertainty that Unsullied have. For example, a non ASOIAF example, in HP3, Harry sees Peter Pettigrew in the map. Me, a reader, gets teased and thing "oh, that's interesting...". Also, it sets a clue of Peter actually being alive, which the watcher needs because he's not reading a book but seeing a 2 hours movie. Had Jeyne being Jeyne and not Talisa, I would have thought that the change was actually very good, because we know she wasn't pregnant, but in this alternative universe, maybe she did. As they both died, there is no big drama.

But other main changes, really have no real sense. Even if they adapt everything from books just as it is, Unsullied will be shocked and surprised because they don't know what is going to happen. Those absurd changes only affect readers. That makes you wonder if they are doing it on purpose, to send a big "FU" to readers only because they can't.

I think our first clue should have been the show being named "Game of Thrones" instead of "A Song of Ice and Fire". It's kinda obvious (now) that they are more interested in the Game of Thrones, which is ironic if we remember that in books, the game of thrones is a distraction from the main real danger, the supernatural stuff happening.

(...)

The second clue is that they made the show for the Red Wedding.

They care more about the aw factor than the characters.

Considering this is the Nitpick Thread and considering my Jaqen issues and the new info out about his return, I thought this little gem was perfect for in here.

Actually, sorry, I'm taking this specific link out, it's acting a bit funny, I'll see if I can find another. Le sigh.

Archived