The show's Qyburn-Mountain Connection

Petyr Patter

Some very, very minor book details that won't spoil anything from the show are found in this post.

So, in the book Qyburn was a member of a mercenary group called the Brave Companion, but are actually some of the most ill behaved and villainous mercenaries available. They were hired by Tywin to basically conduct a terror campaign in the Riverlands. However, after Robb's continued military success, they switched sides and treacherously captured Harrenhal alongside Roose Bolton for the King in the North. Robb himself never set foot there. Beyond this, Qyburn is pretty much the same character, a disgraced maestar whose talent at healing exists alongside his unethical experiments. When Roose is presented with a captured Jaime, he has Qyburn treat his stump and travel alongside him to King's Landing.

HOWEVER, the show introduces Qyburn as prisoner at Harrenhall, who managed to live while the rest of the prisoners are put to the sword in advance of Robb's movement. Specifically, Harrenhall was led by... Gregor Clegane, the Mountain.

We don't know what Qyburn did before he was taken prisoner at Harrenhall. He was never mentioned from Arya's time there in season 2. Yet, it was the Mountain who ordered the prisoners killed and tortured. Which means... I suspect Qyburn has some bad feelings towards the Mountain. He also might have some sentimental attachment towards Robb and Talisa who treated his wounds after taking the castle.

Anyone else have thoughts on this potential connection?

• 1 month later...

I think he definetely could have bad feelings toward the mountain, but since ser robert strong was is probably an undead mountain, qyburn may have had his revenge. But you raise an interesting point...its true we dont know a lot about qyburn or his plans...

• 4 weeks later...

Possible, as far as the Mountain goes - I don't think he feels anything about Robb and Talisa.

But not likely, IMO. Qyburn is one of the coldest, most detached characters in the series, if not the coldest and most detached. He is ice to Cersei's fire. I don't think revenge or anger are a significant part of his motivation, as they are with the majority of characters in the series. He is primarily driven by intellectual curiosity and regards people as things to be experimented on.

Possible, as far as the Mountain goes - I don't think he feels anything about Robb and Talisa.

But not likely, IMO. Qyburn is one of the coldest, most detached characters in the series, if not the coldest and most detached. He is ice to Cersei's fire. I don't think revenge or anger are a significant part of his motivation, as they are with the majority of characters in the series. He is primarily driven by intellectual curiosity and regards people as things to be experimented on.

agreed

• 4 weeks later...

Archived