Small questions v. 10084

Knight Of Winter

Is there anything in Coldhands' description that would suggest or preclude him from being Dunk? For that matter, do we know enough about Dunk to say he was or wasn't ever in the Nights Watch later in life?

Not saying this is even worthy of a crackpot. The idea simply crossed my mind and I'm wondering if those more on top of things know of something that renders it not even with looking into.

Dunk was LC of the KG during Aegon V reign. Both of them died at Summerhall.

I have a little problem with Vargo Hoat's way of speaking

"Her name's Brienne." Jaime descended the steps, past a dozen startled sellswords. Vargo Hoat had taken the lord's box in the lower tier. "Lord Vargo," he called over the shouts.

The Qohorik almost split his wine. "Kingthlayer?" The left side of his face was bandaged clumsily, the linen over his ear spotted with blood.

"Pull her out of there."

"Thay out of thith, Kingthlayer, unleth you'd like another thump." He waved a wine cup. "Your thee-mooth bit oth my ear. Thmall wonder her father will not ranthom thuch a freak."

What's a "thee-mooth" in english?

Were Sansa and Arya were instructed by the septa instead of the maester? Or did they get lessons from both? I'm wondering if most of their knowledge of history comes from songs as opposed to written histories.

I'm just rereading AFFC and I got to the chapter where Arya arrives in Bravos... She remebers that Maester Luwin told her much about Bravos but she has forgotten it all, so I guess it's safe to say that they had both Maester and Septa educating them. :)

She moose, yes. He has trouble with his s's, so if you replace them woth the th sound you get thee-mooth

I did catch that, but english is not my first language and I hadn't thought of "moose" to go with "mooth". Thanks to you and RumHam.

So on a reread of ASoS I came across this:

There were clouds massing in the eastern sky, pierced by shafts of sunlight. They look like two huge castles afloat in the morning sky. Sansa could see their walls of tumbled stone, their mighty keeps and barbicans. Wispy banners swirled from atop their towers and reached for the fast fading stars. The sun was coming up behind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to a thousand shades of rose and gold and crimson. Soon the wind mushed them together, and there was only one castle where there had been two.

"A castle all of gold, there's a sight I'd like to see."

"A castle is it?" Brella had to squint. "That tower's tumbling over, looks like. It's all ruins, that is."

Sansa did not want to hear about falling towers and ruined castles.

(Sansa IV, ASoS)

Is there a possibility that there's any amount of foreshadowing to this, a la Blackfyre Clanking Dragon Inn sign? If so, I can't think of anything specific, but the attention it's given in this chapter stood out to me.

I suppose it could just be an example of Sansa seeing everything romantically, only to discover the darker truth, or that life is not a song, as Littlefinger reminds her in the next Sansa chapter.

Thoughts?

I'm just rereading AFFC and I got to the chapter where Arya arrives in Bravos... She remebers that Maester Luwin told her much about Bravos but she has forgotten it all, so I guess it's safe to say that they had both Maester and Septa educating them. :)

Ah, thank you.

When is the first use of A Lannister always pays his debts ?

“And yet you gave the turnkey a purse of gold,” Bronn said.

“A Lannister always pays his debts.”

So on a reread of ASoS I came across this:

Is there a possibility that there's any amount of foreshadowing to this, a la Blackfyre Clanking Dragon Inn sign? If so, I can't think of anything specific, but the attention it's given in this chapter stood out to me.

I suppose it could just be an example of Sansa seeing everything romantically, only to discover the darker truth, or that life is not a song, as Littlefinger reminds her in the next Sansa chapter.

Thoughts?

It kind of makes me think about Summerhal..

Summerhal was the Targaryen summer home, and so it must have been quite a castle. After the fire, only ruins are left.

But it could also indeed show Sansa's character. She doesn't want to hear about falling towers and ruined castles, meaning, she doesn't want to hear about all the bad stuff (and after so much bad stuff, who can blame her?) Instead, she only wants to hear about the good stuff (the golden castle).

And yet you gave the turnkey a purse of gold, Bronn said.

A Lannister always pays his debts.

That's from aGoT Chapter 42. But in Chapter 31 there's already this :

"We will lose more than horses if we're overtaken by the Lannisters," she reminded them. Her face was windburnt and gaunt, but it had lost none of its determination.

"Small chance of that here," Tyrion put in.

"The lady did not ask your views, dwarf," snapped Kurleket, a great fat oaf with short-cropped hair and a pig's face. He was one of the Brackens, a man-at-arms in the service of Lord Jonos. Tyrion had made a special effort to learn all their names, so he might thank them later for their tender treatment of him. A Lannister always paid his debts. Kurleket would learn that someday, as would his friends Lharys and Mohor, and the good Ser Willis, and the sellswords Bronn and Chiggen. He planned an especially sharp lesson for Marillion, him of the woodharp and the sweet tenor voice, who was struggling so manfully to rhyme imp with gimp and limp so he could make a song of this outrage.

Ah, thank you.

Thanks. That's just a few paragraphs before he promises the Vale of Arryn to Gunthor Son of Gurn of the Stone Crows who has raised the Mountain Clans and now seems to be working with Timett of the Burned Men, the clan that carried off Harry the Heir's aunt, who was older than Harry's mum.

The only thing I know about Haegon is that he was taken by Bittersteel to Tyrosh. Nothing of his later life or even his death seems to be known.

From the Westerlands reading, we know that

In 236 AC, the fourth Blackfyre Rebellion, helmed by Daemon III, landed at Massey’s Hook. The Blackfyres had very little support, however, as people thought the Blackfyres to be done, as tattered as their banners. Tion died at the Battle of Wendwater Bridge. At the same battle, Duncan the Tall slew Daemon III Blackfyre. Bittersteel retreated across the Narrow Sea again, and the war was quickly over. - From the Westerlands reading.

Daemon III is likely the grandson of Daemon I, as Daemon II was his son. It would be odd to have two Daemon Targaryens in the same generation. So by 236 AC, it seems likely that Haegon was dead, or else he would have led the Rebellion with Bittersteel, being the next Blackfyre "heir".

If we assume the Mystery Knight was the Second Blackfyre Rebellion, then Haegon may have died in the third Blackfyre Rebellion.

Archived