Small questions v. 10084

Knight Of Winter

In the Hedge Knight Aerion requests a Trial by Seven. I thought it was the duty of the accused to request Trial by Combat. Am I wrong in this? Or is it the fact that Aerion was a Prince he could do what he wanted?

Dunk chooses trial by combat (at Baelor's suggestion) and Aerion then apparently has the right to name the specific type.

From the passage where Arya overhears Varys and Illyrio, we know that Illyrio send Varys young children with their tongues cut out but who can read and write.

hmm...I know it's so, but I wonder whether such "preparation" of the birds is really a clever move? I mean, wouldn't it arouse some suspicion, that so many people among the servants never speak a word? The world is not that full of mute people. How they communicate with their co-workers or the higher servants? I'm pretty sure most of them cannot read.

Moreover, other spies among the servants paid by other players (e.g. Littlefinger) could easily pick all of Varys' birds out just because of their missing tongue.

In the Hedge Knight Aerion requests a Trial by Seven. I thought it was the duty of the accused to request Trial by Combat. Am I wrong in this? Or is it the fact that Aerion was a Prince he could do what he wanted?

No, it was Dunk who request a Trial by Combat, for Baelor's suggestion.

“You have another choice, though,” Prince Baelor said quietly. “Whether it is a better choice or a worse one, I cannot say, but I remind you that any knight accused of a crime has the right to demand trial by combat. So I ask you once again, Ser Duncan the Tall—how good a knight are you? Truly?”

But it was Aerion who decided that this combat should be a Trial by Seven

ETA: ninja'd by RumHam

what do I read while I wait for WOW? Tried reading gardens of the moon and wasn't up to par. Give me some input

Robin Hobb has some excellent series - namely Assassin, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies.

Other than that, you can check literature forum, where they have recommendation thread.

Robin Hobb has some excellent series - namely Assassin, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies.

Other than that, you can check literature forum, where they have recommendation thread.

Oh my yes, yes, one thousand times yes. I can't get enough of these, particularly Liveships...and she has a new Fitz+Fool trilogy starting off in August...my bank balance is cowering in fear...

hmm...I know it's so, but I wonder whether such "preparation" of the birds is really a clever move? I mean, wouldn't it arouse some suspicion, that so many people among the servants never speak a word? The world is not that full of mute people. How they communicate with their co-workers or the higher servants? I'm pretty sure most of them cannot read.

Moreover, other spies among the servants paid by other players (e.g. Littlefinger) could easily pick all of Varys' birds out just because of their missing tongue.

No, it was Dunk who request a Trial by Combat, for Baelor's suggestion.

You have another choice, though, Prince Baelor said quietly. Whether it is a better choice or a worse one, I cannot say, but I remind you that any knight accused of a crime has the right to demand trial by combat. So I ask you once again, Ser Duncan the Tallhow good a knight are you? Truly?

But it was Aerion who decided that this combat should be a Trial by Seven

ETA: ninja'd by RumHam

I got the impression that the little birds spent almost all of their time out of sight in the walls and hidden spaces of the Red Keep.

Oh my yes, yes, one thousand times yes. I can't get enough of these, particularly Liveships...and she has a new Fitz+Fool trilogy starting off in August...my bank balance is cowering in fear...

Ah, yes, almost forgot The Fool's Assassin is coming only a month from now :D

I have exceedingly high expectations, but that's nothing unusual for a Hobb book :P

Is it ever explained why Tyrosh, Myr and Lys were in conflict with each other?

Its not explained that I remember, and in light of The Rogue Prince its somewhat odd, given that:

The Triarchy supposedly entered into an eternal alliance...guess eternity is not thay long these days

Were Sansa and Arya were instructed by the septa instead of the maester? Or did they get lessons from both? I'm wondering if most of their knowledge of history comes from songs as opposed to written histories.

Were Sansa and Arya were instructed by the septa instead of the maester? Or did they get lessons from both? I'm wondering if most of their knowledge of history comes from songs as opposed to written histories.

They only have a septa in KL.. and none of them is ever mentioned to have been taught by Luwin..

Though Shireen was thought by a maester.. is there even a septa on Dragonstone?

A septa seems to be the equivilent of a governess (is that the right word) in British history, and they usually educated young ladies on matters that it was proper to educate them in. Women likely aren't expected to know their history and such. From the comments made by Arya, it seems they are taught womanly pursuits (embroidery, music etc.), heraldry (Sansa seems to recognise most of the tourney knights) reading and writing and some arithmatic, and its likely the Septa deals with this. The example of Shireen (and Catelyn too, now I think) differs, as these two Ladies were the heir apparents of their father's title. That puts more responsibility on them and likely means further education.

ETA: Rhaenys, we are never told of a septa on Dragonstone. There may have been a Septon, i seem to think he tried to defend the sept with Rambton and Sunglass but could be wrong. However, given that Melisandre was with Selyse for years before the main events of the novels, I can imagine if Shireen ever was educated by a Septa she was dismissed before aCoK

Its not explained that I remember, and in light of The Rogue Prince its somewhat odd, given that:

The Triarchy supposedly entered into an eternal alliance...guess eternity is not thay long these days

All three joined with Dorne to fight against Daemon who supported the blacks. Hmm...

All three joined with Dorne to fight against Daemon who supported the blacks. Hmm...

Good point. And I can't see Lys been overly happy that their source of sex slaves has dried up considerably either. Certainly have a cause for resentment

This may be a very dumb question but I dont have the books on hand and I cant really remember: did asha fight against ramsay?

Nope. She got his antagonistic letter, but then had to return home for the Kingsmoot. She might though, in the next book. I would enjoy it very much if she was the one to do him in.

This may be a very dumb question but I dont have the books on hand and I cant really remember: did asha fight against ramsay?

Nope. She got his antagonistic letter, but then had to return home for the Kingsmoot. She might though, in the next book. I would enjoy it very much if she was the one to do him in.

Indeed. Asha-Ramsay fight scene happens only in the show.

Archived