Small questions v. 10084

Knight Of Winter

Theon studied their banners through Maester Luwin's Myrish lens tube. The Cerwyn battle-axe flapped bravely wherever he looked, and there were Tallhart trees as well, and mermen from White Harbor. Less common were the sigils of Flint and Karstark. Here and there he even saw the bull moose of the Hornwoods. But no Glovers, Asha saw to them, no Boltons from the Dreadfort, no Umbers come down from the shadow of the Wall.

Theon VI, Clash

Do we know which Flints?

A maester serves a seat, not a house, nor does he change houses. So that Luwin started out as the maester of Riverrun and then just moved to Winterfell seems highly unlikely.

Also, we don't know whether Walys left with Rickard, IIRC.

The harvest feast was in Winterfell, wasn't it?

Lysa brought her Maester to KL

Lysa brought her Maester to KL

Technically, a maester is supposed to be bound to a keep, but de facto they are the servants of that castle's Lord. And if the Lord tells him "I'm moving to the capital and you're coming with me", he would obey.

Furthermore, nothing says that a keep can't have more than one maester (I think) - or that a person can't have a personal one.

So technically, you're both right.

Is Robert Strong supposed to be a member of House Strong or is it just like a nickname? Does that also apply to the two Strong's in the Golden Company?

Robert: it's very, very weird that he has this name. I'm not sure how House Strong ended exactly, but somehow I doubt it was in good terms with the crown - so imho it's more likely a nickname.

As for the GC, it's harder to say. There are a lot of people over the sea who take up names from great Westerosi Houses, and in the GC particularly. With the amount of exiles and descendants of exiles in their ranks, no doubt several really are of the Houses - Myles Toyne really was from house Toyne - but in some other cases, it's a little doubtful. Jon Con (it was Jon Con, wasn't it?) thinks so at some points, when he hears all the old names among the captains. Ball and all.

Ok, so when Tyrion is with the Second Sons in ADWD and goes to get his armor he meets a young boy from KL, who says he fought at the Blackwater on Stannis' side. We don't get much info about him, I think. IIRC, he's called Nail, or Kem (?) and that he was denied access to the saving ships after the battle because he threw his spear away.

He also mentions he misses this dude who was his friend (no name) and that he had a brother who died on the Blackwater.

Now, my question is: Are there any theories that this boy might be one of the sons of Davos Seaworth? I realize theres almost no information on this, but it would fit with what the boy said, plus he may have been included in the book for a reason. Might open the door for a possible alliance between Stannis and Tyrion, Lord of Casterly Rock? :D

Ha. I think you just answered a question I had in my mind when I read this part one day. I was wondering why they didn't let him on board the ship and everyone else was retreating as well. The difference - he tossed his spear - like a true Craven poster boy. Thanks.

It's a bit odd that Bran says he's never seen a feast like the harvest feast in ACOK. I thought at first the feast for King Robert had to be at least as grand. Though maybe not since visiting lords and their contributions of food were present for the former making it bigger, more interesting, and with more varieties of food. Also Bran was in charge which might have made it grander for him.

Nice spot. The only thing I can think of is perhaps Bran wasn't around for the last big harvest feast, "big" meaning that it's the last harvest before winter, and the smallfolk (WF's, at least?) would be invited, making the attendance greater and perhaps the celebratory mood would be greater? I'm not sure it even was the last harvest before winter, and I'm admittedly bad with the timeline aspect, but this is what came to mind, as it does seem a bit odd that the feast hosting King Robert wouldn't strike Branas more impressive.

Nice spot. The only thing I can think of is perhaps Bran wasn't around for the last big harvest feast, "big" meaning that it's the last harvest before winter, and the smallfolk (WF's, at least?) would be invited, making the attendance greater and perhaps the celebratory mood would be greater? I'm not sure it even was the last harvest before winter, and I'm admittedly bad with the timeline aspect, but this is what came to mind, as it does seem a bit odd that the feast hosting King Robert wouldn't strike Branas more impressive.

Hmm... wasn't Bran omitted from Jon's POV of Robert's welcoming feast? Perhaps he was swimming with Septon Chayle? :)

Well, maybe. But there's no other example of Maesters following people on errands or missions such as Rickard's. Even Pycelle stayed put through the Rebellion.

There is precedent for Maesters to follow a household as at King's Landing where there were Maesters who followed the family.

So it's plausible for Luwin to have traveled to Riverrun to care for Catelyn. It's also plausible for Luwin to have started at Riverrun and traveled with Catelyn to Winterfell when Ned was returning. Although there was only a skeleton crew at Winterfell there ought to have been someone there to manage ravens and care for the Castellan and household and Walys leaving with Rickard leaves the same vacancy. This is a hole not explicitly filled in the text so we can speculate a little without fear of being proven wrong.

Well, Pycelle was Grand Maester, sworn to KL, and they had to defend the capitol, which would make Pycelle (especially at a younger age) indispensable, I would think.

I felt comfortable agreeing that this was a possibiltiy, as I could think of no reason that the post in question would be necesssarily inaccurate. The only thing that does give me pause (off the top of my head) is when Luwin gives Theon counsel at WF...iirc, seems he made a comment about how he must now serve Theon, which seems to imply that a maester's loyalty lies with an institution, and not a bloodline, which makes me wonder to what extent a maester can be ordered to accompany a lord. At this point, my gut tells me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Luwin to have went with Cat from RR to WF, at least if his service was sworn to RR. It would also seem that if this was the case, it would be the Lord of Winterfell who would have to request the Citadel to send Luwin from RR to WF, right? If this is the case, it seems even less likely, IMHO.

I also don't know if there is an incident involving travel (or summons to KL) quite like Lord Rickard's, iirc. He had to have known at least some of the circumstances involving his son's imprisonment (which came when he raised questions to the father of the man he believed to have kidnapped his sister, which I only mention because I can only imagine that in a situaion such as this, Lord Rickard, though compelled, was probably expecting some kind of hostile reaction) and if he felt that his maester was his most trusted councillor, perhaps he would want him with him.

The harvest feast, being in White Harbour (a big town, or the closest you get to a city in the North) and held by Wyman Manderly... there are more people, more pomp and there is more wealth on display there... that's how I imagine it.

? When did Bran preside over a harvest feast in White Harbor...I don't know if there is time in the text, as if there was time for another harvest after the WF feast, Bran would've moved on after WF was taken, yes?

Over the last few weeks/months, every now and then I asked for some quotes that I could remember, but couldn't find, and I figured it would be nice to let you guys know what it was all for :)

Here and here

An accompanying thread for discussion on the wiki-pages just went up, and can be found here

Omg. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Over the last few weeks/months, every now and then I asked for some quotes that I could remember, but couldn't find, and I figured it would be nice to let you guys know what it was all for :)

Here and here

An accompanying thread for discussion on the wiki-pages just went up, and can be found here

Sweet Jesus, that seems like quite a task you laid on yourself...Thanks! That is quite a resource!

With Tywin dead, can anyone tell me to whom Casterly Rock would go if Cersei is found guilty? Kevan is dead now too, and Gerion has been missing and presumed dead for years, iirc. I'm assuming that Tommen and Myrcella would be disinherited/attainted and Cersei would be put to death in the case of a guilty verdict. So I guess I'm wondering, with Tyrion "guilty" of murdering Joff and Jaime LC of the KG, would Sansa then be the heir of The Rock? She wasn't put on trial or formerly attainted, iirc. Thanks

With Tywin dead, can anyone tell me to whom Casterly Rock would go if Cersei is found guilty? Kevan is dead now too, and Gerion has been missing and presumed dead for years, iirc. I'm assuming that Tommen and Myrcella would be disinherited/attainted and Cersei would be put to death in the case of a guilty verdict. So I guess I'm wondering, with Tyrion "guilty" of murdering Joff and Jaime LC of the KG, would Sansa then be the heir of The Rock? She wasn't put on trial or formerly attainted, iirc. Thanks

Tyrion was tho, and Sansa's claim would run threw Tyrion. The Warden of the west would probably become the Lord of the Rock.

Archived