Is Sandor (the Hound) dead?

The brown snake

In the books and in the TV series it seems that Sandors days are preety numbered, than I read that he may be alive and in the quiet isle ... Is this true and what is the quiet isle? Is it like the silent sisters that worship the stranger? Also Sandor has pretty noticeable features its not like he wont be noticed for very long.

Thanks.

In the books and in the TV series it seems that Sandors days are preety numbered, than I read that he may be alive and in the quiet isle ... Is this true and what is the quiet isle? Is it like the silent sisters that worship the stranger? Also Sandor has pretty noticeable features its not like he wont be noticed for very long.

Thanks.

I agree with Ser Greg of House House that you should read the books. I think everyone should read the books.

The Quiet Isle houses a religious community. There is a gravedigger there who is rather tall, walks with a limp (the same leg that Sandor was injured), and has taken a vow of silence. Also, Sandor's horse is there. I think he keeps from being recognized by keeping his head down for one thing, and probably wearing some kind of hood. Think monastery. "The Hound" is dead, but yes many people believe Sandor himself is alive, just that he's put aside all that he was before, all that went into making him the dreaded Hound.

There is someone going around terrorizing the area wearing his helmet though.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hound/ Mountain rivalry was apparently snuffed out with very little effect. With them both dead on wonders why they were written as rivals anyway? Aeya leaving him as he did is a loose end that I doubt GRRM would have left untied if he wanted finally to end the Hound's story. The gravedigger is as good a place to have him as any. I just wonder if he will be as satisfied by killing Gregor while he has Lady Falyse' head on his shoulders in stead of his own.

Yeah, I think the OP *has* read the books. That's why he started with ''In the books...''

OP: Well, I definitely think he is on the Quiet Isle. Quite a lot of evidence points that way. For which I am glad, since he's a fucking great character.

If he's read the books, then why does he ask "... Is this true and what is the quiet isle? "? If he's read the books he'd know what the Quiet Isle is, don't you think?

You guys are forgetting the single most damning piece of evidence that happens on the quiet isle

When they are leaving the scene, the gravedigger kneels down and pets a dog.

That's as close as you are going to get from GRRM on outrightly saying who he is, he is smacking us over the head with the evidence here.

You guys are forgetting the single most damning piece of evidence that happens on the quiet isle

That's as close as you are going to get from GRRM on outrightly saying who he is, he is smacking us over the head with the evidence here.

Yup. Martin himself says he expects the readers to figure some stuff out for themselves. Readers who still doubt the gravedigger is Sandor are hopeless. Writers will not include footnotes explaining every single thing.

But I don't think anyone forgot that in this thread. Everyone seems to agree Sandor is the gravedigger. Thing is the OP probably didn't read the books, since he doesn't know what the Quiet Isle is.

Absolutely not dead, we get the elder brother telling us how he "died" and was reborn on the quite isle, we get the gravedigger being bigger than Brienne and limping on a leg we knew he injured as well as being told he is new to the isle, we get stranger, and we get the gravedigger petting the dog after Sandor talks about how much he loves dogs.

But was it a hound?

He even scratches Dog's ear as a tip off (Sandor had his ear injured in the battle with his brother's men).

The archer looked at him a long while before he said, “You’re Joffrey’s dog.”

My own own dog now. Do you want the water?”

“Does your dog have a name?” asked Podrick Payne.

“He must,” said Meribald, “but he is not my dog. Not him.” The dog barked and wagged his tail. He was a huge, shaggy creature, ten stone of dog at least, but friendly.

Who does he belong to?” asked Podrick.

Why, to himself, and to the Seven. As to his name, he has not told me what it is. I call him Dog.”

On the upper slopes they saw three boys driving sheep, and higher still they passed a lichyard where a brother bigger than Brienne was struggling to dig a grave...

The gravedigger lowered his head. When Dog went to sniff him he dropped his spade and scratched his ear.

Thanks.

Yes and things

Archived