Tyrion is a Gargoyle

pobeb

If Tyrion=beast breathing shadow fire is the last lie that Dany has to slay then Dany will be proving to the world that Tyrion is not the evil imp who murdered Joff.

Booooo!

I think it's interesting that gargoyles were hooked to drains, and their mouths served as spouts; which, I imagine, funnel dirty or unclean water away. If you look at Westeros as one of these buildings, and Tyrion as a gargoyle defender, perhaps his funneling of the unclean water (greyscale) is foreshadowing his help in preventing the greyscale from spreading in Westeros.

Might open a door for him running into Griff again.

Remember that Tyrion was in control of Casterly Rock's drains and cisterns. If I remember correctly, he did a remarkably good job.

This! The drains and cisterns, I forgot abot it!

The idea of Tyrion becoming a living statue via Greyscale is an interesting one.

Also if the Sailor's Wife is Tysha, it would explain the next time she sees him being a corpse prophecy as those with greyscale are described as being dead.

See similar threads on the subject:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96742-tyrion-dies-of-greyscale-the-books-suggest-so/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102573-is-tyrion-dying-of-greyscale/

well, if he does turn into a gargoyle wouldn't he still be moving around like the stone men he was attacked by?

I don't think he'll literally turn into a gargoyle. The term gargloyle (at least how I've come to understand it) is being used as a metaphor.

What's interesting is, what kind of gargoyle is Tyrion? The gargoyles in Dragonstone are described having the heads of

wyverns, griffins, demons, manticores, minotaurs, basilisks, hellhounds, cockatrices

Something to think about

Adding to OP:

Gargoyles are considered protectors. Our metaphorical gargoyle, Tyrion, protects King's Landing against Stannis' siege.

Contrast that to a time when the protectors were absent, and Stannis' siege was successfull; the siege of Dragonstone:

Daenerys Stormborn, she was called, for she had come howling into the world on distant Dragonstone as the greatest storm in the memory of Westeros howled outside, a storm so fierce that it ripped gargoyles from the castle walls and smashed her father’s fleet to kindling.

If you could send Tyrion, our gargoyle protector, to defend a particular place, where would you put him? Meereen? The Eerie? ... The Wall? ;)

“Are you certain that you must leave us so soon?” the Lord Commander asked him.

“Past certain, Lord Mormont,” Tyrion replied. “My brother Jaime will be wondering what has become of me. He may decide that you have convinced me to take the black.”

“Would that I could.” Mormont picked up a crab claw and cracked it in his fist. Old as he was, the Lord Commander still had the strength of a bear. “You’re a cunning man, Tyrion. We have need of men of your sort on the Wall.

Interesting choice of words. "on the Wall" as opposed to "at the Wall"

I clicked on this and read it.

More and more I'm thinking he's the stone beast and the smoking tower is the Tower of the Hand

Harrumph! Interesting if he flies back ahead of Daenerys' flotilla as a betrayer and her arrival finds him standing at the ready to defend Westeros against her like a stalwart gargoyle, having alerted the folks at home to the threat she poses by flitting from castle to castle on stolen dragon.

Holy crap...

I think I just solved the mystery behind what Bran sees, when he wargs Summer, after the sack of Winterfell:

The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone.

Theon, in Winterfell, during the Bolton occupation:

The entrance to the crypts was in the oldest section of the castle, near the foot of the First Keep, which had sat unused for hundreds of years. Ramsay had put it to the torch when he sacked Winterfell, and much of what had not burned had collapsed. Only a shell remained, one side open to the elements and filling up with snow. Rubble was strewn all about it: great chunks of shattered masonry, burned beams, broken gargoyles. The falling snow had covered almost all of it, but part of one gargoyle still poked above the drift, its grotesque face snarling sightless at the sky.

"... And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all.”

Snarling? An amiable fellow like me?”

Am I reaching? Or is this what I think it means?

so ur saying that the great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame is a gargoyle that was on fire which then led to it falling off?

No. I'm saying that this means 1 of 2 things:

1) The gargoyles atop the First Keep were indeed guarding a dragon, as was their duty in Dragonstone, and Ramsay's sacking woke the Dragon who slept within the Keep.

or

2) This is a metaphor, and the dragon Summer sees is the result of one of the gargoyles being destroyed; or in other words, this metaphorical dragon had shed it's metaphorical gargoyle skin. Which, if so, would have huge implications with Tyrion.

I don't know which way I lean, but I'm almost positive this is something.

Interestingly enough, it was said that when Dany was born, gargoyles were thrown from Dragonstone's walls. Dany (a dragon) flees shortly after - like our "great winged snake"

In both the Dragonstone and Winterfell instances of this, a siege either took place, or was soon to take place.

Ramsay deceives Rodrick, and then Theon, before he sieges Winterfell; which leads to our "great winged snake" escape.

Hmm... I wonder if deception played a part in the siege of Dragonstone, in which gargoyles were also smashed before the flight of a dragon...

That conveniently magical, fleet-kindling storm, which wiped out any chance of the Targaryen loyalists defending Dragonstone, doesn't look so "magical" now, does it?

Bah, what do I know? ;)

Great post! Also, the word Gargoyle comes from the Latin word for gullet or swallow and it's also related to the French word for gargle!

Gargoyles were used as water spouts to divert rain-flow away from walls to protect the mortar....interesting!

Will Tyrion save The Wall or has he already, by counselling Jon Snow?

Now that's brilliant deduction my friend.

(Jon) “By right Winterfell should go to my sister Sansa.”

(Stannis)“Lady Lannister, you mean? Are you so eager to see the Imp perched on your father’s seat? I promise you, that will not happen whilst I live, Lord Snow.”

Of course, Winterfell isn´t really Jon´s father´s seat.. Prince Rhaegar was Jon´s father. Dragonstone was Prince Rhaegar´s seat. A place deeply linked to gargoyles.. The imp will be take dragonstone, after Stannis´s death.

I agree that Tyrion is the great stone beast in the HotU vision. This means that there should be a lie related to his identity and Dany should slay that lie. But I am not buying that he is a dragon. I think he is a bastard of Gerion. Tywin suspected it but he could never be sure.

I think Tyrion is also the sphinx Aemon was talking about because the sphinx is a bit of this and a bit of that. Tyrion is a combination of a lion, monkey, demon, gargoyle and this already looks like a grotesque and obscene beast.

But I am not buying that he is a dragon.

Dragon is debatable. Dragon defender, I would think, practically undeniable now; provided my evidence is true, of course.

I'm thinking now...

Dany - Dragon Warrior

Tyrion - Dany's Shield

Jon - Dany's Sword

I can't help but predict Tyrion's personal tragedy, as he, who dreamt of dragons, loved dragonlore and the power a dragon might give to the otherwise powerless, may be the one who has the knowledge and cunning to finally destroy those weapons of mass destruction.

He will have to kill what he always longed for and may have come to love. And whatever his bond to dragons is, he may be a dragon, so he will also destroy a part of himself with it though some new identity may develop from it. The gargoyle as protector, fending off what has turned evil.

I can't help but predict Tyrion's personal tragedy, as he, who dreamt of dragons, loved dragonlore and the power a dragon might give to the otherwise powerless, may be the one who has the knowledge and cunning to finally destroy those weapons of mass destruction.

He will have to kill what he always longed for and may have come to love. And whatever his bond to dragons is, he may be a dragon, so he will also destroy a part of himself with it though some new identity may develop from it. The gargoyle as protector, fending off what has turned evil.

Perhaps defeating "Young Griff" in cyvasse was supposed to parallel his involvement with defeating him in the future; acting as the protector he is, by defending Westeros from this pretender.

Those cyvasse games, and the events that led to Tyrion drowning and J-Con's infection, should not be overlooked. Something is there, I'm sure of it... What that something is though, a lot harder to discern.

Archived