Braavos

ackyou

The purpose of this thread will be to discuss the free city of Braavos, what it’s future is, why it’s so powerful, and what it’s based on.

Considering it’s founding by former slaves, I think the Braavosi must be very interested in the success of Daenerys. They have already done some work in destroying the slave trade by their pact with Pentos, see ADWD Tyrion I. So far there has been no mention of Braavos taking part in the conflict in slaver's bay, so it could either be a surprise attack, or more likely, the new sealord of Braavos, who will replace the sick sealord, see ADWD Arya I, will want to involve Braavos in the conflict.

It’s been expressed several times throughout the series the great power of Braavos. This is usually tried to the iron bank, but that still brings up the question, why is Braavos so wealthy and powerful? Braavos gets it’s wealth from the sea, but in terms of trade routes, it’s much less significant than Qarth or Volantis. whale oil and yak hair, and whatever resources come from the north of Essos travel through Braavos, but are much less valuable than the silk, precious metals, and slaves that travel through Volantis and Qarth. This leads me to believe that Braavos’s wealth is due to its advanced financial systems, the iron bank, and insurance. in an interview, George RR Martin described the establishment of the iron bank as a collaboration between wealthy men in Braavos. This points at the idea that the Iron bank works like a joint stock company, with its vast wealth coming from many wealthy braavosi who invest in the bank. This gives the bank a huge advantage over money lenders in the other free cities, where all the money comes from one wealthy person or family, and are bankrupted easily when a loan fails. the iron bank is successful because it can spread out the risk amongst it’s investors, and also afford to fund the enemies of their debtors that fail pay, allowing them to develop a great reputation. The success of the Braavosi sailors I would guess is most attributed to the insurers of Braavos, who also allow the greater distribution of risk between traders in the city.

The way in which the free cities have been based off of the Italian city states has lead people to believe Braavos is based off of Venice; However, I find much better similarities with Amsterdam. Financial institution like the insurer and the Iron bank are very similar to the rise to power of Holland, and the climate is much more similar to Amsterdam, than Venice.

Could be a lott of things the iron bank seems to be key though they are giant compared to the reported other moneylenders

How did they grow to such a size...it cant be a coincedence that they haveeasy access to the finest assasins in the world to deal with their enemies.

Their economy may also benefit from skillsets of talented slaves from all over essos escaping there plus its no slave policy means it must rely on a more modern economy ie everyone theres a potential customer.

We know they have a powerful navy .....while smaller than some cities in essos its manned by freemen making them more formidable than slave ships, then we have the water dancer culture

Men who have devoted their lives to perfecting swordplay without armour , it might have evolved from poor slaves needing to counter armour with speed , movement and precison or rejects from the facless mens traiing programme, or just their naval culture as no one but ironborn fights with armour at sea or something else .....either way having so many capable swordsmen in the city is a boon for its defence and its culture of skilled swordplay has to have some effect on bravos soilders/marines.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the FM are any more disposed to work for the iron bank than any other customer. Also, if you kill your debtors, then you can't get payed back. The funding of usurpers seems more effective.

I don't think the FM are any more disposed to work for the iron bank than any other customer. Also, if you kill your debtors, then you can't get payed back. The funding of usurpers seems more effective.

When bravos was hidden the knowledge of such a cult for hire would have given them an edge over their free city counterparts in those cities

You kill debtors who dont pay ..sets an example , mafia types have employed the same idea for centuries its just as effective as funding usurpers.

Archived