Wow, I never noticed that v. 6

I was reading over the old threads of "I never noticed that" and came across this nice little story:

Until a few days ago, I had never noticed the connection/foreshadowing between Doreah's dragon story and the names Khal Drogo and Dany called one another: Drogo was sun and stars, Dany was moon of my life. I was skimming around for something and my eyes fell on this, "One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return."

Oh and I also imagined it with a nice weather, but the sky is pretty cloudly and dark, again, volcanoes! Doh!

I might be wrong, but my impression was that the sky is dark because it's supposed to be night in that picture.

Edit: nevermind, it's like dusk in the picture. You can see clear blue skies beyond the clouds though.

http://edelweiss-assets.abovethetreeline.com/RH/supplemental/GRRM_WOIF_SellPacket_spreads-lowres.pdf

The picture is on the first page of that sample.

Bran notes that the life of a nights watch deserter is forefit and as a result will not shy from any crime.

I wonder how many deserters are unaccounted for. At least a few had to be smart enough to never ever ever wear anything the color black ever again.

Nearly all the Baratheons featured on-page have interacted with a Stark.

Robert; Ned and his children

Stannis; Jon

Renly; Ned

Shireen; Jon

Mya; Sansa

Gendry; Arya

Bella; Arya

Barra; Ned

Everyone except Edric Storm. I wonder if this means he'll come to fill the pattern.

StannisForKing299AL, on 08 Jul 2014 - 6:18 PM, said:

Any self respecting lord would execute a deserter on sight. Any family they had would disown them for oath breakers. Other small folk would likely turn them over to their lord if they discovered their crime. Plus the fact we never see any successful deserters id say not many are. The only safe bet would be fleeing across the narrow sea and becoming a mercenary, and even then its a big risk...

it always amazed me how easy it is for the nw to get people to come with them. I mean, there was only one guard for thirty dudes with arya and nobody ran off? really?

Maybe him and Rickon?

Edric was sent to Lys, so for us to see him again (because he's not around any pov characters) someone around him had to be the prologue/epilogue pov, he'd have to go to Braavos to meet Arya, or get called back to Westeros by Stannis, in which case he's most likely to meet Jon or Rickon.

Speaking of Edric Storm meeting Arya, she befriended a boy named Edric (Dayne) and one of King Robert's bastards (Gendry). Edric Storm is both.

Ehm.. where does this happen?

It's in AFFC when she's doing the tour of the riverlands, I forget exactly where. She meets this whole horde of religious people and their leader is described the same way as the High Septon is later.

I thought that at the beginning of Brienne's journey one of the septons in the company of the begging brothers who were travelling south and asked her to join them could be the future High Sparrow. If not, my bad.

FWIW, I read it the same way.

Could you perhaps quote the important part?

The septon had a lean sharp face and a short beard, grizzled grey and brown. His thin hair was pulled back and knotted behind his head, and his feet were bare and black, gnarled and hard as tree roots.

(Brienne)

The man's beard was grey and brown and closely trimmed, his hair tied up in a hard knot behind his head. Though his robes were clean, they were frayed and patched as well. He had rolled his sleeves up his elbows as he scrubbed, but below the knees the cloth was soaked and sodden. His face was sharply pointed, with deep-set eyes as brown as mud. His feet are bare, she saw with dismay. They were hideous as well, hard and horny things, thick with callus.

(Cersei)

That Cersei, like Aerys, was trying to burn Kings's Landing with wild fire right before a siege. She probably got the idea after hearing from Jaime that he had saved the city during Robert's Rebellion.

Archived