Quentyn Martell ADWD (spoilers)

Malkorion

Then he is Quentyn. Last we saw, Quentyn was on fire and staring at an angry dragon.

He's dead.

This. We saw him burning and screaming from his POV but he hung on for 3 more days of agony until we saw him die in Barristan's POV. Where is the ambiguity? He's dead. And I'm sure his death will have major consequences for Dany and Dorne.

You mean, like Barristan saw, with Dany.

Completely different. This is from Quentyn's own POV. I think he is well qualified to tell if he is burning/on.fire or not.

ETA: I would be interested to see what "evidence" you have to prove he is alive.

This. We saw him burning and screaming from his POV

Like with Dany ... except Dany is less panicky, and did not scream when she caught fire.

but he hung on for 3 more days of agony until we saw him die in Barristan's POV.

No. That was Tatters. Or could have been, for all you or Barristan know.

Where is the ambiguity?

I'm trying to tell you.

I think you've misinterpreted some of this

“You did not know him, ser. He—”

“He’s dead, Drink.” Yronwood rose to his feet. “Words won’t fetch him back. Cletus and Will are

dead too. So shut your bloody mouth before I stick my fist in it.”

(Is he trying to cover something up here?)

It sounds like they're genuinely upset here. Or they're very good actors

“We were protecting Quentyn,” said Drinkwater. “We—”

“Be quiet, Drink. He knows.”

(again, cover up?)

Again it sounds like they're upset. And Yronwood is telling Gerris to be quiet because he knows that Barristan doesn't like him and it won't do any good if he tries to make excuses.

“What happened when you tried to take the dragons? Tell me.”

The Dornishmen exchanged a look. (like they know that something is up)

They know that they're in some serious shit and if they say the wrong thing it could cost them their lives.

Drink will do it too.” He grinned. “He don’t know it yet, but he will.” (is there a subtle hint here?)

He's just saying that he will force Gerris to do it. It's clear that Yronwood is the sensible one and the one in charge so this is in character.

It sounds like they're genuinely upset here. Or they're very good actors

Well ... Gerris sounds upset. Archie not so much. And yes, Gerris is indeed a "very good actor". This is an element of his character already carefully established ... as well as the fact that he seems to be immune to (genuine) grief.

Completely different. This is from Quentyn's own POV. I think he is well qualified to tell if he is burning/on.fire or not.

ETA: I would be interested to see what "evidence" you have to prove he is alive.

Completely agree. I doubt Quentyn would consider himself to be on fire when he wasn't on fire.

And indeed, I'm waiting for some solid evidence for the "Quentyn is alive"-theory

Completely agree. I doubt Quentyn would consider himself to be on fire when he wasn't on fire.

Dany was also "on fire". Barristan saw her burning. In her own POV, we find out that her hair was burnt off, and that, and she compares her experience in the Pit to her experience in the bonfire. She also appears to suffer from minor skin burns.

I'm waiting for some solid evidence for the "Quentyn is alive"-theory

Sadly, that's not likely to come til 2020, though I hear some optimists are hoping for 2015.

Dany was also "on fire". Barristan saw her burning. In her own POV, we find out that her hair was burnt off, and that, and she compares her experience in the Pit to her experience in the bonfire. She also appears to suffer from minor skin burns.

But that was not from the actual POV who was on fire. Had Dany told us about the fire as it was happening, she would have mentioned her hair, not her actual body parts.. because those were not on fire.

Sadly, that's not likely to come til 2020, though I hear some optimists are hoping for 2015.

So you present a theory without any evidence at all and expect people to believe it? That might work on only 0,001% of the forum users ;) the rest needs at least something more

No. Dany was seen by thousands climbing on a dragons back and flying away.

It was daytime, and the dragon attacked a crowded arena.

No one saw a rider on the other two dragons.

It was nighttime - a dark night chosen for secret deeds ... and the theory does not necessarily hold that Quentyn rode Viserion that night ... merely that they left together.

I doubt that one of them will be that Quentyn is alive. I think Quentyn being alive is pretty useless to the story, unless he actually managed to steal a dragon in which case it is a big stretch.

If Quentyn is alive, he has managed to steal a dragon. There is no point to his being alive otherwise. Dany needs Dragon Riders to bring her dragons to Westeros. Where, being a minor character, Quentyn is doomed to die as canon-fodder in the coming dragon-wars ... just as lots of dragon-riders died in the first "Dance of the Dragons".

In the meantime, in the battle of Meereen, the Windblown will switch sides, and come over to the Queen, when they see "The Tattered Prince" riding Viserion. He will turn out to be Quentyn

If Quentyn is alive, he has managed to steal a dragon. Dany needs Dragon Riders to bring her dragons to Westeros. Where, being a minor character, Quentyn is doomed to die as canon-fodder in the coming dragon-wars ... just as lots of dragon-riders died in the first "Dance of the Dragons".

In the meantime, in the battle of Meereen, the Windblown will switch sides, and come over to the Queen, when they see "The Tattered Prince" riding Viserion. He will turn out to be Quentyn

Winds spoiler

The Tattered Prince is confirmed to be in the Yunkai.camp. He betrays them, kills the Yunkish Supreme Commander and takes the Windblown over to.Barristan's side. Tatters himself is named directly by the Yunkish, and they would know if it was a "false" Tatters. So the corpse in Meereen cant possibly.be the Tattered Prince

Winds spoiler

The Tattered Prince is confirmed to be in the Yunkai.camp. He betrays them, kills the Yunkish Supreme Commander and takes the Windblown over to.Barristan's side. Tatters himself is named directly by the Yunkish, and they would know if it was a "false" Tatters. So the corpse in Meereen cant possibly.be the Tattered Prince. Both dragons are also flying around, riderless

Archived