Board Issues 4

Angalin

First off I have to say the mobile version of this forum SUCKS it's a complete POS. You can't even add a profile picture, there are very limited account settings, and worst of all there is no option to skip pages in a thread you have to view each page manually by pressing the next button - this is very inconvenient when a thread has over 20 pages. Oh wait that isn't the worst part the worst part is that the forum keeps crashing and going offline! Does this only happen on the mobile version or also the normal browser version as well? When I'm viewing something I repeatedly get this same message many a time:

[#2001] Sorry, the server is too busy to handle your request, please try again in a moment

Also I get other errors such as "Guru Meditation"

Wtf is going on?

It's TV show season, and as we've discussed up thread, illness has taken out our resident sysadmin so she hasn't been able to help us sort out some of the issues that are taking place. Once she's better and has time, the server should become more stable.

Every time we flip post tracking (i.e., whether the active user has posted in a thread) on or off my last read post is cleared and I'm booted back to the beginning of the thread. This is a mild annoyance on the desktop version, but on mobile -- where I read a lot these days -- it's much more obnoxious, because I have to advance one page at a time. Pain in the ass on longer threads. If we are going to have it off frequently, could it just be left off? Turning it back on for 12 hours at a time is more of a hassle than just leaving it off would be.

Ok I appreciate the response, also if you guys can do a better job redeveloping the mobile version it would be great, the current version is just horrible. I get on the forum from my iphone and the normal version isn't compatible,

Huh? Full site should work. It works on my iPod anyway, as well as my Samsung. there is a button at the bottom of the page to flip between mobile/full site.

Every time we flip post tracking (i.e., whether the active user has posted in a thread) on or off my last read post is cleared and I'm booted back to the beginning of the thread. This is a mild annoyance on the desktop version, but on mobile -- where I read a lot these days -- it's much more obnoxious, because I have to advance one page at a time. Pain in the ass on longer threads. If we are going to have it off frequently, could it just be left off? Turning it back on for 12 hours at a time is more of a hassle than just leaving it off would be.

Yeah, I was coming to ask something similar. Is search and stuff set to be disabled automatically whenever the server gets too busy?

When we update to IPS 4, it's a fully responsive skin design, so that should no longer be an issue.

I don't know what that means, but it sounds good to me. Thanks Ran. Any idea when that is scheduled for?

Its the next version of the board software, but its entirely dependant on when they actually get it out. Or rather, they have released 4.0, but we don't think it'd be safe to upgrade before a couple of patches have happened.

Its also possible that the traffic during the show might make an upgrade difficult.

The Tapatalk isn't working since Sunday, so now I use the mobile version of Forum in Google Chrome... the problem is that after I post something, it loads and than I get 500, 501 or 503 error.. the post is sent, but I have to exit Chrome and come to Forum one again to see it...

The computer version works correctly, so I'll use it, although it takes more time...

Edited by Blue Tiger

Its also possible that the traffic during the show might make an upgrade difficult.

Honestly, if a "Hey, forums are down for a bit today while we upgrade," message is that big of an inconvenience for anyone, they should probably take a long look at their priorities.

I see why Tapatalk isn't working -- Performance Mode turns off hooks entirely. I think that's overkill, so will see if I can hack some way to keep hooks on while otherwise going into performance mode.

Huh? Full site should work. It works on my iPod anyway, as well as my Samsung. there is a button at the bottom of the page to flip between mobile/full site.

Yeah, I was coming to ask something similar. Is search and stuff set to be disabled automatically whenever the server gets too busy?

For some reason the desktop version doesn't work properly on my iphone the browser only shows the far left side of the forum I can't view the whole page I don't get why it does this but I'm using an iphone 4 that might be why.

Yes, we have to put the board into performance mode more often than not to keep it running, especially now that we have some undiagnosed error that takes us down very easily at high traffic.

Can I just ask why is Game of Thrones TV show chunk of forum above the ASOIAF books one, now I have to scroll down, I hate it, it send the wrong message, I hope it's bug or something

They did this last year. I'm just assuming that since the show is currently airing a new season, users are going to migrate to those forums and so they just placed them at the top. After the season is over, they should get switched back.

Can I just ask why is Game of Thrones TV show chunk of forum above the ASOIAF books one, now I have to scroll down, I hate it, it send the wrong message, I hope it's bug or something

They do that every year because the majority of traffic is in that part of the forum. Its also to help show people right away where the designated TV forums are, as to not post show related stuff in the General ASOIAF area.