Board Issues 4

Angalin

I don't know why the change to this new forum was made.

That said it does not feel like a step forward. The skin doesn't look as good as the old one, there is a lot of white which gives it a different feel and makes it a bit less readable somehow. I also think the margin to the left of the forum is too wide, and definitely wider than we had before this update. This should ideally be quite a bit smaller.

I also think that if the threads remain lost that would be unfortunate. Hopefully you will still be able to integrate them into this new board. It's a bit weird to lose all the content from the last two months since some discussions now are built on what was revealed or said then.

On the positive side, the avatars look really nice and the new skin does feel fresh. 

Would love it if the "like" function came back, as that was a big success among posters.

Edited by Calibandar

How about now, Winds? I checked and you were still subscribed to a number of notification events, which I removed for you. If you check the link I provided and scroll down, you'll see individual options for separate things.

Good news from Invision: they've been burning the midnight oil, and while we were asleep they mailed to say that the post rebuild was finished, and only some minor rebuilding was left which they thought would take only a day or two. After that, they'll export the DB, we'll download it and import it in, and all posts through to October 13th will be recovered (including old posts with their quotes intact).

You are inundating me with E-Mails that I don't want! Will this be resolved soon?

And I'm not getting the flood of e-mails I so want to get back!  :P

And I have it set up on notifications, but I'm not getting any at all; no e-mails and no notifications here...

Anyone else still having trouble logging in on their phone?

I've made sure that cookies are enabled on both Firefox and Chrome, cleared cache and I'm still getting the error message: Your browser does not accept cookies which is required in order to log in.

However, for some reason, I am able to log in from my phone using Firefox with the following method:

Select "Request Desktop Site" from the Firefox menu

Deselect "Request Desktop Site" which then bring me to the "Sign In" page. I am able to log in from here.

How about now, Winds? I checked and you were still subscribed to a number of notification events, which I removed for you. If you check the link I provided and scroll down, you'll see individual options for separate things.

Good news from Invision: they've been burning the midnight oil, and while we were asleep they mailed to say that the post rebuild was finished, and only some minor rebuilding was left which they thought would take only a day or two. After that, they'll export the DB, we'll download it and import it in, and all posts through to October 13th will be recovered (including old posts with their quotes intact).

How is this going to affect the threads that were already existing, and where we've been posting in over the past two days?

Does this also include the content in older posts that was lost in the transfer?

I've made sure that cookies are enabled on both Firefox and Chrome, cleared cache and I'm still getting the error message: Your browser does not accept cookies which is required in order to log in.

However, for some reason, I am able to log in from my phone using Firefox with the following method:

Deselect "Request Desktop Site" which then bring me to the "Sign In" page. I am able to log in from here.

I could log in on my phone just fine. Only had a small issue with the first time logging in on the laptop, as the website ignored the log in. Second time went just fine, and have been logged in ever since.

Only issue I'm currently experiencing with my phone is that the typing is very slow, causing my phone to skip letters (or complete words) that I've typed. Do other people experience this issue too, or is it just my phone?

Have you done the "accept cookies" thing on your mobile since the upgrade? I know I've had to do that on iPad and my actual mobile. Not sure if failure to do that might prevent you logging in

How is this going to affect the threads that were already existing, and where we've been posting in over the past two days?

Does this also include the content in older posts that was lost in the transfer?

I could log in on my phone just fine. Only had a small issue with the first time logging in on the laptop, as the website ignored the log in. Second time went just fine, and have been logged in ever since.

Only issue I'm currently experiencing with my phone is that the typing is very slow, causing my phone to skip letters (or complete words) that I've typed. Do other people experience this issue too, or is it just my phone?

Some of the time, yes. Usually it's when I first start typing a new post, there is a lag and I end up typing out words twice. I'd put this down to slow internet connection, but if it's affecting others too maybe it's not.

Have you done the "accept cookies" thing on your mobile since the upgrade? I know I've had to do that on iPad and my actual mobile. Not sure if failure to do that might prevent you logging in

You mean the notification that pops up when you first load the page? If so, yes I have accepted the cookie policy but  still receive the error when I try to log in. At least the method I described in my previous post works so I am able to log in on my phone albeit in a roundabout way.

I don't like the fact that I can't "jump" to the latest post read by me. Or am I missing smtg?

On the overview pages of threads, hit the dot (or, in case of threads you've already posted in since the update, the star) in front of the name of the thread, that brings you to first unread.

How do we remove that gender identifier from the side box?

How do we remove signatures to decrease clutter?

Where are my friends (in my profile)? 

Thanks!

When you see someone's signature, and hover over it with your mouse, you see a little cross with an arrow downwards in the right upper corner of the signature. If you hover over that, it says "Ignore signature preferences". I guess that's where you can remove them

Or, account settings, and then signature. That's where you can turn seeing signatures on or off too.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

My Content and various other such functions have been removed in favour of the "Activity Stream", which is accessed via the "More" dropdown on top.

If you have all of the old assets there is probably a way to supply a custom CSS stylesheet with some tinkering.

So when that happens all the posts made here since the upgrade will be lost, right? 

I don't know why the change to this new forum was made.

That said it does not feel like a step forward. The skin doesn't look as good as the old one, there is a lot of white which gives it a different feel and makes it a bit less readable somehow. I also think the margin to the left of the forum is too wide, and definitely wider than we had before this update. This should ideally be quite a bit smaller.

I also think that if the threads remain lost that would be unfortunate. Hopefully you will still be able to integrate them into this new board. It's a bit weird to lose all the content from the last two months since some discussions now are built on what was revealed or said then.

On the positive side, the avatars look really nice and the new skin does feel fresh. 

Would love it if the "like" function came back, as that was a big success among posters.

These are my feelings exactly. Doesn't mean I will stop coming to the forums but uhhh my eyes don't like it anymore haha :/

OMG make it go back to the way it was!!! We'll pay your ransom! Catelyn RW: "PLEASE!" :wacko:

I can't READ this: there's all this blank space everywhere like Google! Why squish up all the text one side for the sake of emptiness? Is it a warning that TWOW is still blank?! And where's that usful sidebar on the right?! I can't find anything!

Can I donate and get the old site back as a "theme"???

On the old forum, I checked for new comments in threads I posted in via the history on my profile.  If I went to my profile and hit "find content" (little gray button on the right) it was there.  Now when I go to my history, it only shows my own posts.  Is there a way that I can view my history by thread and be able to (as I did on the old forum) check which forum I posted in has new comments?