Board Issues 4

Angalin

When browsing a thread in Firefox or Chrome on my Android phone, clicking page numbers, or the prev or next buttons results in an ad loading on a blank background. Or just blank page if the ad fails to load.  To get out of it, I have to type in a new address, or close the window.  I'm not redirected to the page of the thread that I was actually trying to read. 

Hmm...can't get it to happen right now that I've signed in and not just viewing as a guest.  Is it a thing that only guests are directed to ads when browsing through pages?

Edit: Yeah that seems to be the case...As soon as I sign out, it starts happening again.  Makes it really annoying to read anything as a guest.

I have the same problem when viewing as a guest (using Firefox on my laptop). However, I found that I get to the page I want by clicking the "back" button on Firefox. :o  A bit counterintuitive but it works. I also have AdBlockPlus installed, I don't know if that makes any difference.

So, I've been locked out for a month and had to create a whole new account because it wouldn't accept my display name. I've been bumped back down to the rank of a commoner, but oh well, lol.

So, I've been locked out for a month and had to create a whole new account because it wouldn't accept my display name. I've been bumped back down to the rank of a commoner, but oh well, lol.

I couldn't sign in because of a "cookie" issue and only got through after I fiddled with Firefox cookie/history/whatever and cleared everything from this site. Since then, it's been working OK. I've been able to log in with my old username and even my seemingly lost posts (post count) came back.

A forum change is always a bit of a drag, especially for a place such as this with so many thousands of people. I was taken aback by the new graphics and didn't like them but now I barely notice.

I couldn't sign in because of a "cookie" issue and only got through after I fiddled with Firefox cookie/history/whatever and cleared everything from this site. Since then, it's been working OK. I've been able to log in with my old username and even my seemingly lost posts (post count) came back.

A forum change is always a bit of a drag, especially for a place such as this with so many thousands of people. I was taken aback by the new graphics and didn't like them but now I barely notice.

Oh thanks for that info. I will try that.

Its funny because with my job, I can usually pull up payroll information on my lap top if I need to work from home, and then all of a sudden, I couldn't do that either. I'm a little dubious about Firefox now, but I hate Chrome because of the advertisements they sneak in and clog up my computer.

thanks for this. So, I best store every post of the lost threads on the archive forum. So, far I copied posts from the mid-October date. + lost content of some of the OP posts of theory threads made this summer.

Personally it seems to me that many hold off on creating new threads or editing OPs that have lost a lot of data (I know I do), because of waiting for the mid-October database... All in all, I think the current posts made are of less archive importance than the loads of good theory threads dating back even a year that have lost so much content.

Yes, thank you!

I find, though, that in my activity there's a gap between 17 September and 10 November; and when I look at Forum Games, it seems to be the same. Do I maybe need to log out and log in again?

Are you definitely typing in your display name properly? (I.e. Capital letters and spaces in the current places). And are you certain you are putting your password in correctly too? (I had to reset mine because I had no idea what it was anymore - generally I have "remember me" ticked). 

Pit might help to post the exact message you get when trying to log in, so people can offer more concrete advice.

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before, I haven't gotten the chance to catch up with so many replies.

So my problem isn't of missing posts, it's text missing from the end of posts.

This can be seen in the OP of the link in my sig. There's a fairly long text post, but only the first part of it shows up. Everything underneath the spoiler tag is missing. I last edited the post in May, I think. Is this going to be restored, or is it now lost to the ether?

So, just got part of this spam issue solved. If you go to your inbox settings, you'll see a bunch of options. First is, I think, 'default', and a side window shows 'try the tabs again' or something like that. If you click on it, you get another window with a number of options like 'promotions', 'social', etc;  the bottom one is 'forums'. Mine wasn't checked, and I checked it just to see what would happen. And it worked in part. For instance, I've just received a notification for this thread, and it went to my inbox, as it used to before. Otoh, a reply to a topic I follow still went to the spam folder. So maybe it's even more confusing now. :eek:

Sorry I took so long to reply to this - yeah, you guessed it, it went into the Spam folder... Some emails started going to the inbox, so I stopped checking spam so often, but then it turns out half of them are still going there. Still so confused!

You can't link in the signatures. I tried to link something and it resets when I hit "insert".

ETA: now you can.. :dunno:

I am experiencing this issue currently. The only way I can insert links is by pasting directly into the signature box.

Edited by Wrychard Wrycthen

Are you definitely typing in your display name properly? (I.e. Capital letters and spaces in the current places). And are you certain you are putting your password in correctly too? (I had to reset mine because I had no idea what it was anymore - generally I have "remember me" ticked). 

Pit might help to post the exact message you get when trying to log in, so people can offer more concrete advice.

To sign in, I kept typing what had been my username, and then realized that this new format was asking for display name, (which I assume is what other viewers see, and different from the username that initially signed me in but that others did NOT see). So, when I typed in my display name, "Aliaoftheknife," it said this was already in use, which I know it was because it was me.:blink::wacko:

(But, like you, I had kept myself signed in for so long, that now I could be completely confused).:dunce:

Sorry I took so long to reply to this - yeah, you guessed it, it went into the Spam folder... Some emails started going to the inbox, so I stopped checking spam so often, but then it turns out half of them are still going there. Still so confused!

Same here. My half-assed fix worked well for a couple of days, and then some of the emails started going to the spam folder again. And now, it seems all the emails go to the spam folder, and I didn't make any other changes. Totally confused. 

Same here. My half-assed fix worked well for a couple of days, and then some of the emails started going to the spam folder again. And now, it seems all the emails go to the spam folder, and I didn't make any other changes. Totally confused. 

Hi KBF!,                                                            That is also the case for me.

To sign in, I kept typing what had been my username, and then realized that this new format was asking for display name, (which I assume is what other viewers see, and different from the username that initially signed me in but that others did NOT see). So, when I typed in my display name, "Aliaoftheknife," it said this was already in use, which I know it was because it was me.:blink::wacko:

(But, like you, I had kept myself signed in for so long, that now I could be completely confused).:dunce:

Have you tried resetting your password by clicking on "forgot your password"? You should be able to reset your password provided that you are still using the same email address that was linked to your account. FYI, the email sent to reset your password appears in the spam folder on gmail.

Good grief, I've been messing about with this for weeks too. I was ready to foget all about this forum. Jesus. Thanks for pointing that out!