Board Issues 4

Angalin

I can almost never post on mobile (I accidentally managed once when for some reason the phone showed me a text-only version of the site) because the reply box is always grey and unclickable. I see I am not the only one with the issue now.

Consigliere, how does a user sign in anonymously vs signing in as a guest? if a user signs in anonymous what can they see vs what a guest can see and do?.  This guest idea strikes me as odd. As a guest can a person sign in and out as multiple posters?

You do not sign in as a guest. A guest is somebody who visits the forum without being logged in. On the old board, guests could not see profiles, but now they can (and I honestly hate that).

I signed in anonymously this morning, at 10:00 am EST.  Based on the last two times I signed in anonymously... since about November 20th... I expect that within a week, my online activity and presence will no longer be anonymous.   No notification will be given that my privacy status has changed, when, or why.  

Does the new site software impose an automatic expiration on anonymity?  Or is this issue related to site restoration and upgrades, or what?  Hoping this is not a permanent "feature" of the new set up. 

Just as predicted, through no doing of my own, my online activity is no longer anonymous.  I have not signed out, nor have I intentionally or knowingly changed my privacy settings.  (In fact, I don't see a menu anywhere for privacy settings.)  But one week after my last post (quoted above) my profile suddenly displays what I am "Currently" doing, for the world to see.

Mods or Admins - Ideas as to why this might be happening?  Any feedback appreciated.

(I did post a comment just a few moments ago.  Could that have automatically switched off the "anonymous log in" setting for some reason?  I wouldn't have thought so, given that I also posted a comment on December 11th and there was no change in anonymity at that time.)

Just as predicted, through no doing of my own, my online activity is no longer anonymous.  I have not signed out, nor have I intentionally or knowingly changed my privacy settings.  (In fact, I don't see a menu anywhere for privacy settings.)  But one week after my last post (quoted above) my profile suddenly displays what I am "Currently" doing, for the world to see.

Mods or Admins - Ideas as to why this might be happening?  Any feedback appreciated.

(I did post a comment just a few moments ago.  Could that have automatically switched off the "anonymous log in" setting for some reason?  I wouldn't have thought so, given that I also posted a comment on December 11th and there was no change in anonymity at that time.)

All of a sudden I can't sign out, either.

Really don't want to be permanently signed in.

ETA: It somehow signed me out after closing down my computer. So. . . .no idea what's up.

Edited by Sly Wren

On mobile, the reply box won't always load, while the page seemingly is loaded a full 100%. The reply box remains grey, in those cases, and it isn't possible to type anything.

Both on mobile and laptop, the function for the board to remember in the reply box what someone had been typing in specific threads, there seems to be a slight error somewhere.

I've at multiple times now encountered that posts that I've typed and posted are still remembered in the reply box, even though I've already posted them. Also, when I've clicked quote to make another user's quote appear in my reply box, and I've removed that quote box without hitting 'post', the board still seems to remember that I've put that in my reply box, but not that I've deleted it, because I often find it back in my reply box when trying to reply to other users (leaving a quote-in-quote situation).

i also face this problem ....and I don't know where to ask this ...but what about the thread started in October ...will it be updated or its gone forever ....

There's a topic I was contributing to that I now can't access. I still get notifications for it, but when I try to go to it I'm told:

Sorry, there is a problem

You do not have permission to view this content.

Error code: 2F173/K

Could someone please help me out here? It's very frustrating, as I can't reply to other arguments.

A lot of the threads I've subscribed no longer give me a notification anymore (both board notifications and email notifications). I haven't changed any settings, so that can't be the problem.

This is also still a problem, and it almost seems as if it is getting more frequent:

On mobile, the reply box won't always load, while the page seemingly is loaded a full 100%. The reply box remains grey, in those cases, and it isn't possible to type anything.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

To the above I'll add that on mobile (iPhone), we've had a reversal of progress. Now the page is back to loading in a very tiny column on the left with a ton of blank space, and when you zoom in to make it fit and click on the notifications icon, the info loads way out in the no man's land and you have to zoom way out and back in to see the actual notification. It was doing this right after the upgrade, then it was fixed. Now it's screwed up again. For me, at least. 

Cleared the cache to see if that helps resolve issues. If you can clear any browser cache in your client, try to sort that as well.

Re: reply box not always appearing, we may upgrade in the next month or so once we get some more information about it, and apparently there are some fixes to the editor which may help with that issue.

I'm not sure whether that is still possible. If you go stand in someone's quote, though, and press enter twice, the quote breaks.. It works better when you stand at the end of a sentence, than at the beginning of one.

This does not work reliably for me. Sometimes I can break a quote in two without any trouble, but no further. Sometimes I only can break them at ends of the lines (that is, the end of text ... not if the line ends with space). Or it works at certain spots in the text, and not in others. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. I have no idea why each of these scenarios happen when they do. Is there a trick to it?

Edited by nanother
typo

This does not work reliably for me. Sometimes I can break a quote in two without any trouble, but no further. Sometimes I only can break them at ends of the lines (that is, the end of text ... not if the line ends with space). Or it works at certain spots in the text, and not in others. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. I have no idea why each of these scenarios happen when they do. Is there a trick to it?

I'm having the same problem.

We'll probably be attempting another upgrade once support is back after the holidays and we've looked into whether we can find a better solution for the high traffic periods this year. The new version forces us to abandon the less resource-intensive search engine we switched to for a while, so there's a risk with that going forward.