Board Issues 4

Angalin

On March 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM, JonCon's Red Beard said:

We can't insert media anymore :(

Tragic isn't it?

@Emmit Agreed, we used to have a post preview before. This is one of the reasons i've been harping over the edit delays. Without the post preview I find myself needing to edit more often than before.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

We are testing out the chat at the moment. It is a fairly new product and as of yet there's no way to permanently dismiss or disable the chat on an individual user basis. We have had quite a few requests for a chat system after the old one became inaccessible.

On March 26, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Ran said:

We've turned it off for now. Thanks for the report.

Awesome, thanks!

and, in case it doesn't get said enough, just want to add another thank you for all the work you and Linda put in keeping this place up and running

Greetings folks, anyone else knows this problem i've been having from the past weeks?

Can't sign in from the PC, from my android it's fine but... I put the name and password and it loads like it's going well and then, nothing... The same image like i didn't sign in... 

It can be my pc's crazy rides and it's very likely so, but who knows

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

22 hours ago, Ran said:

Try visiting http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php?enable=1  and then visit the forum and see if that helps. We're having a problem with Varnish, a proxy that acts as a front end cache, and haven't quite nailed down what's going on with it.

Solved :thumbsup: much appreciated Ran, it was the varnish bypass indeed

3 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Solved :thumbsup: much appreciated Ran, it was the varnish bypass indeed

For the record, please only use the Varnish bypass if nothing else is working for you.  And if you do log in successfully, try turning it back on once the cookie's in place to see if things still work afterwards.  (I.e., hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php?enable=0 and then come back to the forums and see if you're still logged in properly.)

Basically, some browser/extension add ons seem to cause issues, where the browser will just re-retrieve the pre-login Varnish-cached copy of a page, instead of actually sending the cookie (which tells Varnish "I am now logged in, stop caching anything that isn't static").  I wrote a bypass which adds a special cookie to your Westeros session that says "stop using Varnish", to allow folks to try to get past the bypass.  

However, to bypass the weird browser behavior, this turns off all Varnish caching including the board CSS and images, which increases the load on the server (and not incidentally makes your own session load slower).  Four or five people, that doesn't add up, but if like half the board turns the bypass on "just in case" or something similar, it will dramatically affect performance during the season.

In theory, the browser caching issue should only affect you prior to sign-on, so you should be okay to turn the bypass behavior back off once you're logged in. :)

If you don't know whether or not you have the bypass enabled, just hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php and the page will tell you your bypass status.

Edited by Sparks

On 03/04/2016 at 11:45 PM, Sparks said:

For the record, please only use the Varnish bypass if nothing else is working for you.  And if you do log in successfully, try turning it back on once the cookie's in place to see if things still work afterwards.  (I.e., hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php?enable=0 and then come back to the forums and see if you're still logged in properly.)

Basically, some browser/extension add ons seem to cause issues, where the browser will just re-retrieve the pre-login Varnish-cached copy of a page, instead of actually sending the cookie (which tells Varnish "I am now logged in, stop caching anything that isn't static").  I wrote a bypass which adds a special cookie to your Westeros session that says "stop using Varnish", to allow folks to try to get past the bypass.  

However, to bypass the weird browser behavior, this turns off all Varnish caching including the board CSS and images, which increases the load on the server (and not incidentally makes your own session load slower).  Four or five people, that doesn't add up, but if like half the board turns the bypass on "just in case" or something similar, it will dramatically affect performance during the season.

In theory, the browser caching issue should only affect you prior to sign-on, so you should be okay to turn the bypass behavior back off once you're logged in. :)

If you don't know whether or not you have the bypass enabled, just hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php and the page will tell you your bypass status.

Duly noted :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Something's gone wonky... I can't post/quote while using the iPad. If I click on 'quote' or the empty post box at the bottom of the page, I get a little scroll menu with a few options like 'copy', 'add to reading list'... Both the iPad and Safari are otherwise working fine. Any suggestions? 

Loading your site opened an ad for "ipopular" in a new window that started streaming video automatically.  It took me a moment to figure out where the sound was coming from because I have a lot of windows open and it didn't open in a new tab like most pop-up ads do.  This was using the Safari browser, and with the issues we've had and repeated warnings given about streaming video at work, this is probably going to get me written up or at least warned.  Please screen your advertisers better.

It happens rather frequently that I've typed a post on mobile, and am unable to post it. When I hit the "submit reply" button, it tells me it is saving, but nothing happens. My post remains in the reply box, and the "saving" turns into "submit reply" again. No matter how often I click the button, it won't post.

Especially in combination with the grey reply box (making you unable to post), this is rather frustrating.

I wasn't on the forum for quite long time, so sorry if someone  already asked about this: Since late march Tapatalk version of forum doesn't work, every time I get 'Network error, try again later. (get_config). What should I do? Is it my network or phone's fault? I have Samsug Galaxy Core, Android 4.1.2 , I've tried reinstalling Tapatalk app, trying on another WiFi, but it didn't help. Other forums & blogs on Tapatalk work correctly.

2 hours ago, Blue Tiger said:

I wasn't on the forum for quite long time, so sorry if someone  already asked about this: Since late march Tapatalk version of forum doesn't work, every time I get 'Network error, try again later. (get_config). What should I do? Is it my network or phone's fault? I have Samsug Galaxy Core, Android 4.1.2 , I've tried reinstalling Tapatalk app, trying on another WiFi, but it didn't help. Other forums & blogs on Tapatalk work correctly.

Tapatalk has been disabled.