Board Issues 4

Angalin

2 hours ago, farerb said:

My email notifications have been disabled and I can't turn them back on.

Ran posted about this; we had to temporarily turn off email notifications because, due to the level of board activity, it was trying to send several hundred emails pretty much constantly.

This had two effects:

1. The server load was scary, and things stopped working right.
  2. We got flagged as spam by several ISPs that were receiving a big chunk of that mail; as a result, we got blacklisted and so a huge chunk of those mails were bouncing anyway. Which caused them to hit the mail server on the way back in, and... yeah.

Email notifications will get turned back on after the season ends, or when I figure out a way to stem the tide so the email flood doesn't get us flagged as bulk-mail spammers. :) 

2 hours ago, Sparks said:

Ran posted about this; we had to temporarily turn off email notifications because, due to the level of board activity, it was trying to send several hundred emails pretty much constantly.

This had two effects:

1. The server load was scary, and things stopped working right.
  2. We got flagged as spam by several ISPs that were receiving a big chunk of that mail; as a result, we got blacklisted and so a huge chunk of those mails were bouncing anyway. Which caused them to hit the mail server on the way back in, and... yeah.

Email notifications will get turned back on after the season ends, or when I figure out a way to stem the tide so the email flood doesn't get us flagged as bulk-mail spammers. :) 

Thank you :) 

That box in the notification setting about allowing my browser to accept notifications is supposed to solve this issue? I sure hope so, I am feeling lonely without my usual load of morning forum spam :D

Yesterday I tried to log in from another location and it did not work, so I tried out several possible alternative passwords (assuming I had forgotten or used the wrong one). Failing any attempt, I requested a reset for my password (past 9am GMT yesterday), but did not receive a reset mail until tonight 18pm GMT. When I arrived home yesterday I was luckily still logged in on my laptop from which I usually post (permanently logged in), so I had no issue posting yesterday. After receiving the reset password mail tonight I did put in a new password so that at least I was sure again which one to use. When I later reloaded a page for newly added replies in a thread it appeared I was suddenly logged out and had to sign in again. I attempted this several times but failed, except when I selected 'log in anonymously'. And now that I have, it seems I am logged in anyway under my usual public account.

?????

Edited by sweetsunray

Hello. This is my first time posting in the help subforum. So please correct me if i did anything wrong in the help subforum like post in the wrong thread.

I was wondering how do you post images in the About Me profile? I remember i was able to do it, but then my images and gifs wasn't showing, so i decided to remove them and upload the images again. But i couldn't anymore. And now i can't find the tool to do it.

1 hour ago, Tianzi said:

Hello.

Either I've gone blind or the search function disappeared. If the former, where it is? If the latter, is it coming back?

Usually, during TV season, the search function is disabled. It happens every year and I think that must be the case...

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Usually, during TV season, the search function is disabled. It happens every year and I think that must be the case...

Search is far and away the single most expensive operation to perform on a forum this large.  It's actually less of a giant looming problem this year due to the actual search chewing RAM or CPU than in past years, because the database and search now happen on an entirely different machine than the forum/wiki processing happens on.  

However, it still presents a problem due to the length of time it takes a search result to return.  That holds up both a connection slot and one of the script-processing instances for far longer than any other forum operation, and we have a limited number of both.  (It's a large number, but still a limited one, and "large" ceases to have quite the same meaning when you have 25,000 users hitting the site simultaneously.)

Even though Varnish will hold onto a connection until a new slot becomes free, think of it like rush hour on a freeway: if you have 2-4 cars waiting to merge in behind each car, and this repeats over and over, you end up with a rather spectacular traffic jam.  That's what happens to the server under load when search is enabled, just by virtue of how long searches take.

To continue the freeway analogy, most of the year we need a freeway with 2 lanes in each direction; when we hit the HBO season (rush hour), we need one of those 6-lanes-in-each-direction monstrosities.  Unfortunately, the six-lane freeway is overkill 97% of the time (and very, very expensive overkill at that), so we try to mitigate things during the 3% of the time when I become focused on the "Fire" in "Song of Ice and Fire".  (Largely due to the fact that I'm mildly concerned the servers might figuratively burst into flame and melt.)

One of those mitigations is 'temporarily disabling search'.

Hopefully that helps provide a little more backstory and context. :)

On 20-4-2016 at 8:34 PM, Ran said:

I suspect this relates to a config change we made. I'll undo it and we'll see if things improve. You'll want to clear your caches later today to make sure the change takes effect.

I've made quite a number of posts with my phone since this, and I didn't encounter the problem a single time, so your solution worked! :)

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I've made quite a number of posts with my phone since this, and I didn't encounter the problem a single time, so your solution worked! :)

Excellent. Thanks for the follow-up.

4 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

For some reason everytime I try to chose a new avatar

There was a problem processing the uploaded file. COULD_NOT_WRITE_FILE
  • OK

Mm.  Copying over the cache/upload directory caused all the webserver's permissions on those directories to be rewritten.  Try again!

4 minutes ago, Sparks said:

Mm.  Copying over the cache/upload directory caused all the webserver's permissions on those directories to be rewritten.  Try again!

Ok it seems to work now. Thank you!

Also, I don't know why but some times it seems that I had signed out when I haven't.

Edited by Jon's Queen Consort