Board Issues 4

Angalin

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

More than likely, it is just a false positive. McAfee's online threat intelligence shows the site is safe. This site checker uses McAfee's SiteAdvisor API and shows that no Firewall is detected - this is probably what's causing the false positive.

Alright. Thanks for checking up. 

@Ran Sorry for the false alarm.

• 2 months later...

The past three days the site has been crashing regularly for me.  It starts with my macbook air or pro getting very hot, the fan spinning on high and then the inevitable crash.  In the bottom left corner of chrome it shows waiting for an endless scroll of ads.  This post is taking forever to process as I type. Will be turning adblocker back on for a bit.

That sounds bizzare to me. Yes, there's a few script calls as an ad is served, but this should not under any circumstances be taxing your computer. Have you tried clearing out your caches? It may be you've a corrupted cache file that's getting called on.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/03/2018 at 2:05 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

The past three days the site has been crashing regularly for me.  It starts with my macbook air or pro getting very hot, the fan spinning on high and then the inevitable crash.  In the bottom left corner of chrome it shows waiting for an endless scroll of ads.  This post is taking forever to process as I type. Will be turning adblocker back on for a bit.

Just been having this myself. Sounds suspiciously like cryptocurrency mining script. The board freezes up, can't type or do anything and I have to close the tab. Cleared cookies and cache. Even when the board doesn't crash, the fan kicks in and CPU and memory usage start going way up. It stops when I close Westeros.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

If you see any ads that seem to be in common with these issues, do report them. We need something more to go on, because I personally don't ever get this issue.

In this case I'm not sure what I can do. The board freezes, I can't scroll up or down or refresh the screen (Ctrl+F5 doesn't help). I have to close the window and open it up again. I can't actually see the advert that might be responsible.

• 3 weeks later...

What happened to the multiquote button? For a few days now - I don't remember since when exactly - I only have the option to click "quote", but not the "+" button beside it (that place is blank, it seems like nothing is missing) to save multiple posts and then quote them all at once. Is the multiqoute temporarily switched off? Is it coming back?

EDIT: Okay, weird. I think I just saw my multiquote button on my own post - this one - right after I edited it, but not on other posts on the same page. Then I refreshed the page, and it was no longer here.

Edited by Buckwheat

Nope, not here ... I deleted the browsing history and agreed to cookies on this site, still no multiquote button in this thread. It is there on my phone, though.

Edited by Buckwheat

Mozilla Firefox, Windows 8.

Now I also tried to use Chrome, and it is here and it works normally on that one.

13 hours ago, Ran said:

What browser are you using, and what operating system?

Hmm, interesting. I am on Firefox as well, though Windows 10, and not seeing this issue.

I'll try and do some research and see if there are any other reports along these lines.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Mozilla Firefox, Windows 8.

Now I also tried to use Chrome, and it is here and it works normally on that one.

Do you have an adblock extension installed on Firefox by any chance.

Edited by Consigliere

59 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yes. Could that be a problem?

Yes. I also had the problem you have described. Turns out it was one of the filter lists in uBlock origin that was causing the problem. Changing to another filter (Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List) solved the problem. 

16 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Yes. I also had the problem you have described. Turns out it was one of the filter lists in uBlock origin that was causing the problem. Changing to another filter (Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List) solved the problem. 

Ah, thank you! I cannot find a way how to change these filter thingies, but I added this site to the list of sites that uBlock ignores, and I have the button back now. Thanks for the tip.

35 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Ah, thank you! I cannot find a way how to change these filter thingies, but I added this site to the list of sites that uBlock ignores, and I have the button back now. Thanks for the tip.

If you ever want to just change the filter but keep ad blocking on, click on the uBlock Origin icon on the toolbar and select the option to open the dashboard (first icon from the right in my case). In the Dashboard tab, select "3rd party filters". Under "Privacy" heading select "Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List", deselect "EasyPrivacy" and/or "Aguard Spyware Filters" and click "Apply Changes". I've found that those two filters are a bit too aggressive.

Edited by Consigliere