Board Issues 4

Angalin

39 minutes ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

Very weird. What browser are you using?

I'd suggest clearing the browser's cache, in any case, or forcing a refresh (CTRL+F5 usually works). You may have a corrupted copy of the website code and that's why search isn't appearing for you.

Hello, everyone. Last Monday, I started a thread in the General (GOT) section, since it was about how the show may bear on how the books conclude, and while I can still view my post, it is still pending approval. I'm bringing this up here in case the admins may have missed it.

Here's a link to my post (assuming you can access it): 

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Hello, everyone. Last Monday, I started a thread in the General (GOT) section, since it was about how the show may bear on how the books conclude, and while I can still view my post, it is still pending approval. I'm bringing this up here in case the admins may have missed it.

Here's a link to my post (assuming you can access it): 

It's up now. Thanks!

On 11/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Same here. After a long while where it was normal, it started again but only noticed on one thread in General asoiaf (can’t remember which one now). 

The same weird thing started again, and now it’s a topic I started myself. On Chrome it’s “aw snap” and Safari “web page reloaded”. :bawl:

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The same weird thing started again, and now it’s a topic I started myself. On Chrome it’s “aw snap” and Safari “web page reloaded”. :bawl:

Let me know which thread(s) seem to be doing this.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Let me know which thread(s) seem to be doing this.

Only one atm. Can’t link it coz I can’t open it, but titled “omelette, scrambled, or dragons?”

just cleared browsing data, cache, but no joy. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Only one atm. Can’t link it coz I can’t open it, but titled “omelette, scrambled, or dragons?”

just cleared browsing data, cache, but no joy. 

I've tried posting to it, let me know if it's any more accessible. Make sure to close and then restart the browser fully. 

24 minutes ago, Ran said:

I've tried posting to it, let me know if it's any more accessible. Make sure to close and then restart the browser fully. 

Closed all tabs and turned iPad off, and it’s still the same. It’s so weird...

• 2 months later...

I have problems with the new chat.

I have registered an account, am logged in in the browser. It says on this forum that I am a member of the Westeros discord server. However, I cannot see the server in the chat website. On the left side, I only see icons for "home", "Buckwheat's server", "Add a server", "Explore public servers", and "Download Apps". No Westeros icon, neither in Google Chrome nor Microsoft Edge. EDIT: Also same situation on my Samsung Galaxy phone browser.

Do I have to click on anything in "join a server"? I mean, I am apparently already in, but I don't see how I can enter it.

Edited by Buckwheat

36 minutes ago, Ran said:

I admit, this is a new situation that I'm not sure how to deal with. Only thing I can think of is to kick you from the server and see if you can rejoin...

Nope, still nothing. I have contacted the Discord support team by email, maybe they can help.

1 minute ago, Buckwheat said:

Update: I have downloaded the chat app for Android, but the Westeros icon is not there either.

Any chance I could join via the "join a server" field? What code or link should I put there?

Let me kick you again and then try to invite you directly.

• 3 weeks later...

Ignore        Was having trouble using search but when I searched in google instead it took me to the correct place in this website. 

Edited by Castellan

• 2 weeks later...

Did you change the ad format or has my computer gone nuts?

I assume you changed the format. and I have to say I absolutely hate it.

First of all, when I go to the forum it's like pages are layered on pages. When I opened Gen Chat this morning I did actually think there was something wrong with my laptop, so I shut down and reopened everything. It makes me feel like I'm drunk when I look at the page, with another page underneath it but bleeding around the edges.

And then there are the ads. I have no objection to ads, you need to run the site and pay bills and make a living. But the whole page is filled with ad now, and then another ad is layered on top of the ad, running across the bottom, that I have to shut down in order to see anything. And when I go to topic listings the page just looks wrong, for a moment I wondered if I had soimehow signed out of the site and had to sign in again.

Then, when I try to do anything, like read a thread, one of those damn floating ads appears across the bottom of the page, which I have to close before I can do anything. More show up as I scroll down, and while typing this I've had to stop and close ads.

There are news media sites that show up on my Facebook page that I have stopped reading because there are so many ads I can't read the story. Please don't go overboard.

I just opened Westeros on my phone, I see the changes are there as well, although they are easier to deal with.

eta. And I hit edit to correct spelling and I have this large grey rectangle across the bottom of my page where I guess an ad should be, but isn't, that can't be closed.

Edited by Fragile Bird

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

First of all, when I go to the forum it's like pages are layered on pages.

Can you provide a screenshot of this? Closest I can think of is that you've some caching issue on your side that will clear up, either by clearing the cache (You can try SHIFT+CTRL+R, I believe, to force a refresh) or waiting it to refresh on its own after a day or two. But maybe there's a bug in our code.

We have indeed changed our advertising provider, and there will be a period of readjustment where we need to tweak things to where they're comfortable for everyone. I'm definitely open to all feedback on this, but hope folks will be a bit patient and give us a few days to digest and assess.

ETA: Also, can you tell me what device you're using that has two ads layered atop one another, what browser, and what screen size? A screenshot of this would be useful as well! There's definitely not supposed to be any overlap...

Edited by Ran