Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Angalin

Board Issues 4

Recommended Posts

Mobile user. The  share/follow button was up for me when I came on this morning as well. But it did go away.

What about this grey chat box? As a mobile user, real estate on the screen is a premium, and that grey box is always there at the bottom of my screen. I can't seem to make it go away.

It's like an ex girlfriend with its little grey eye just staring at me, taunting me, judging me.

 

And since it just happened yet again, what is with the random text size changing? I nowhere have any control over that, yet everything I post comes in various sizes.

To add to that, I'd love a post preview button.

Edited by Emmit
Text size change reminded me to add it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Emmit said:

Mobile user. The  share/follow button was up for me when I came on this morning as well. But it did go away.

What about this grey chat box? As a mobile user, real estate on the screen is a premium, and that grey box is always there at the bottom of my screen. I can't seem to make it go away.

It's like an ex girlfriend with its little grey eye just staring at me, taunting me, judging me.

 

And since it just happened yet again, what is with the random text size changing? I nowhere have any control over that, yet everything I post comes in various sizes.

To add to that, I'd love a post preview button.

Agree with this, the chat thingy is a real annoyance one mobile especially. When you have notifications at the bottom, it becomes impossible to click on them. 

The Chat system should be something you have to purposely look for, rather than something forced on you on every screen you look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Agree with this, the chat thingy is a real annoyance one mobile especially. When you have notifications at the bottom, it becomes impossible to click on them. 

The Chat system should be something you have to purposely look for, rather than something forced on you on every screen you look at.

Agreed, its location is annoying for my iPad screen.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Did a test edit there and it worked instantly. However an edit from a couple of nights ago took over 20 minutes to post, so still not clear if that quirk is resolved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM, JonCon's Red Beard said:

We can't insert media anymore :(

Tragic isn't it?

@Emmit Agreed, we used to have a post preview before. This is one of the reasons i've been harping over the edit delays. Without the post preview I find myself needing to edit more often than before.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are testing out the chat at the moment. It is a fairly new product and as of yet there's no way to permanently dismiss or disable the chat on an individual user basis. We have had quite a few requests for a chat system after the old one became inaccessible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 26, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Ran said:

We've turned it off for now. Thanks for the report.

Awesome, thanks!

and, in case it doesn't get said enough, just want to add another thank you for all the work you and Linda put in keeping this place up and running

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings folks, anyone else knows this problem i've been having from the past weeks?

Can't sign in from the PC, from my android it's fine but... I put the name and password and it loads like it's going well and then, nothing... The same image like i didn't sign in... 

It can be my pc's crazy rides and it's very likely so, but who knows

 

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ran said:

Try visiting http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php?enable=1  and then visit the forum and see if that helps. We're having a problem with Varnish, a proxy that acts as a front end cache, and haven't quite nailed down what's going on with it.

Solved :thumbsup: much appreciated Ran, it was the varnish bypass indeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Solved :thumbsup: much appreciated Ran, it was the varnish bypass indeed

For the record, please only use the Varnish bypass if nothing else is working for you.  And if you do log in successfully, try turning it back on once the cookie's in place to see if things still work afterwards.  (I.e., hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php?enable=0 and then come back to the forums and see if you're still logged in properly.)

Basically, some browser/extension add ons seem to cause issues, where the browser will just re-retrieve the pre-login Varnish-cached copy of a page, instead of actually sending the cookie (which tells Varnish "I am now logged in, stop caching anything that isn't static").  I wrote a bypass which adds a special cookie to your Westeros session that says "stop using Varnish", to allow folks to try to get past the bypass.  

However, to bypass the weird browser behavior, this turns off all Varnish caching including the board CSS and images, which increases the load on the server (and not incidentally makes your own session load slower).  Four or five people, that doesn't add up, but if like half the board turns the bypass on "just in case" or something similar, it will dramatically affect performance during the season.

In theory, the browser caching issue should only affect you prior to sign-on, so you should be okay to turn the bypass behavior back off once you're logged in. :)

If you don't know whether or not you have the bypass enabled, just hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php and the page will tell you your bypass status.

Edited by Sparks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe the forum keeps deleted posts in "trash", like it can do with regular posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2016 at 11:45 PM, Sparks said:

For the record, please only use the Varnish bypass if nothing else is working for you.  And if you do log in successfully, try turning it back on once the cookie's in place to see if things still work afterwards.  (I.e., hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php?enable=0 and then come back to the forums and see if you're still logged in properly.)

Basically, some browser/extension add ons seem to cause issues, where the browser will just re-retrieve the pre-login Varnish-cached copy of a page, instead of actually sending the cookie (which tells Varnish "I am now logged in, stop caching anything that isn't static").  I wrote a bypass which adds a special cookie to your Westeros session that says "stop using Varnish", to allow folks to try to get past the bypass.  

However, to bypass the weird browser behavior, this turns off all Varnish caching including the board CSS and images, which increases the load on the server (and not incidentally makes your own session load slower).  Four or five people, that doesn't add up, but if like half the board turns the bypass on "just in case" or something similar, it will dramatically affect performance during the season.

In theory, the browser caching issue should only affect you prior to sign-on, so you should be okay to turn the bypass behavior back off once you're logged in. :)

If you don't know whether or not you have the bypass enabled, just hit http://asoiaf.westeros.org/varnish-bypass.php and the page will tell you your bypass status.

Duly noted :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something's gone wonky... I can't post/quote while using the iPad. If I click on 'quote' or the empty post box at the bottom of the page, I get a little scroll menu with a few options like 'copy', 'add to reading list'... Both the iPad and Safari are otherwise working fine. Any suggestions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loading your site opened an ad for "ipopular" in a new window that started streaming video automatically.  It took me a moment to figure out where the sound was coming from because I have a lot of windows open and it didn't open in a new tab like most pop-up ads do.  This was using the Safari browser, and with the issues we've had and repeated warnings given about streaming video at work, this is probably going to get me written up or at least warned.  Please screen your advertisers better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's-a me, Emmit.

Just wondering if the shifting text size problem has been looked at?

Also post preview. Is that a non starter?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...