Victarion Re-read Project

Mithras

I thought it was insane at first too but the emboldened below I think heavily suggests it.

Fair enough I suppose, but then thats hardly a story you would want to tell your niece (or anyone else for that matter), regardless of the truth of the claim.

Can someone please explain how we arrive at this conclusion:

Is this just from some sort of Freudian analysis of Victarion or something?

The quote is some sort of indication that Euron might know Vic's kraken is small, although that also could be something like a jape: "oh, you big man don't know how to please a woman? Is your dick small?". But what confirms it to me is that Victarion seems to fear being mocked and laughed at.

Fair enough I suppose, but then thats hardly a story you would want to tell your niece (or anyone else for that matter), regardless of the truth of the claim.

What he's considering not telling isn't the conversation between him and Euron, only that Euron had sex with his wife.

Especially not when Asha mocks someone just a short while earlier for being "small". :leaving:

“I am unwed,” announced Left-Hand Lucas Codd.
“And for good reason,” Asha said. “All women do despise the Codds as well. Don’t look at me so mournful, Lucas. You still have your famous hand.” She made a pumping motion with her fist.
Codd cursed, till the Crow’s Eye put a hand upon his chest. “Was that courteous, Asha? You have wounded Lucas to the quick.”
“Easier than wounding him in the prick. I throw an axe as well as any man, but when the target is so small...”

Sorry for taking so long. I will make a short introduction because this chapter is better suited to be discussed correspondingly in the later posts.

AFfC – The Drowned Man (Aeron II)

Plot Summary

Euron wins the kingsmoot.

Analysis

Kingsmoot

Kingsmoot is perhaps the most otherworldly thing in the series. There is no political structure like it anywhere in the series. It sounds too ancient even for the current ironborn who live in the past as we discussed before. The last kingsmoot was thousands of years ago and such a relic of ancient times feels awkward.

Only the Dothraki Way can be said to be partially similar to the kingsmoot. Both the ironborn of old and the Dothraki follow the strong, although the succession of the leaders and the process of choosing them have their differences.

In the kingsmoot, every person has the right to make claim. The traditional way of this is something like the following:

1. Press your claim.

2. Bring forth three champions to support you.

3. Show your banners and weapons. Do not look like a beggar or a weak man. A king should look and speak like a king above all.

4. Your champions should be fearsome warriors/raiders proven in raids and wars. This is to earn the respect of the ironborn.

5. Present your offerings/gifts to the captains. These gifts should be rich and tempting such as gold, silver, gems, weapons and so on.

6. Make your propaganda. You have to offer the ironborn good reasons to shout your name.

This last item is of primary importance. The ironborn are not as stupid as one might think. They will choose the choicest dish they are served.

From the Wiki, we can recall the claimants, their champions, gifts and propagandas.

Lord Gylbert Farwynd came first as a candidate, with his three sons (Gyles, Ygon & Yohn) as his champions, promising the Ironborn that if he became king he would lead them to a new bountiful land across the sunset sea, as Nymeria did with her ten thousand ships. His gifts were whale bone, sealskins and bronze.

Erik Ironmaker, called the Anvil-breaker, came next carried on a palanquin by three of his grandsons; Dagon, Thormor & Urek. His gifts were silver, bronze and a few steel daggers and blades. Asha humiliated him by asking him to stand on his own two feet. If he could, she claimed she would follow him. Euron laughed at this. Erik tried but could not manage.

Lord Dunstan Drumm came next. His champions were Andrik the Unsmiling and Drumm's own two sons Donnel and Denys. Drumm's speech started out well but he talked too long and soon lost the interest of the crowd. His gifts of bronze did not win them back to him.

Victarion Greyjoy came next with Nute the Barber, Ralf the Limper and Red Ralf Stonehouse as his champions. He was well received and his gifts of gold, silver and gems added to his supporters.

Asha Greyjoy came next, however, with Qarl the Maid, Tristifer Botley and Ser Harras Harlaw as her champions. She did better than anyone expected. Unlike the rest, her gifts were cobblestones, pinecones and turnips. She showed the Ironborn these gifts to demonstrate that this is what they've won so far by fighting the North, losing fathers and sons for these "treasures". She offered them a chance for land, peace and victory. She won much support, but many more supported Victarion and it looked like there was about to be a riot between the followers of these two claimants until the the dragon horn was sounded.

Euron Greyjoy had one of his men, Cragorn, blow the dragon horn. It silenced the fighting. Euron then stepped forward and claimed the Horn they heard could bind dragons to his will, and that he knew where to locate three of the creatures. He promised to use them so the Ironborn could conquer all of Westeros. His men then poured forward his gifts a wealth of treasure. Euron was elected the new Iron King.

Nagga’s Ribs

On the crown of the hill four-and-forty monstrous stone ribs rose from the earth like the trunks of great pale trees.

“The Brackens poisoned it,” said his host. “For a thousand years it has not shown a leaf. In another thousand it will have turned to stone, the maesters say. Weirwoods never rot.”

We noted how Victarion likened Nagga’s ribs to the trunks of great pale trees. Aeron does the same. A maester could have told them those are not the ribs of a non-existent dragon but the petrified remnants of an ancient weirwood grove. Does this mean that the Drowned Religion is full of misunderstanding?

Here he took his mermaid wife and planned his wars against the Storm God. From here he ruled both stone and salt, wearing robes of woven seaweed and a tall pale crown made from Nagga’s teeth.

The description of the Grey King fits to a CotF with a weirwood crown and seaweed woven clothes.

Sorry for taking so long. I will make a short introduction because this chapter is better suited to be discussed correspondingly in the later posts.

AFfC – The Drowned Man (Aeron II)

Plot Summary

Euron wins the kingsmoot.

nice job!

Kingsmoot is perhaps the most otherworldly thing in the series. There is no political structure like it anywhere in the series. It sounds too ancient even for the current ironborn who live in the past as we discussed before. The last kingsmoot was thousands of years ago and such a relic of ancient times feels awkward.

Even though I tend to find the Iron Born a tiresome lot, the Kingsmoot is a fascinating chapter. It might be the closet thing we see to "democracy" in Westeros, and the fact that it comes from a people so set in the "Old Way" is a touch ironic. It does bring to mind the Great Councils when the Targaryen inheritance was in question. The difference, however, is that anyone can press a claim at the Kingsmoot, not just a family member of the previous king/ruler. Because of this, there's also a bit of the Wildling feelings to it; the Free Folk follow only the strong and Mance had to prove himself against others before he was allowed to call himself the King-Beyond-The-Wall.

One of the more interesting aspect of the Kingsmoot is that you shouldn't press your claim too early. Aeron's internal thoughts give us this:

The Crow's Eye was never patient, Aeron Damphair told himself. Mayhaps he will speak first. If so, it would be his undoing. The captains and the kings had come a long way to this feast and would not choose the first dish set before them. They will want to taste and sample, a bite of him, a nibble of the other, until they find the one that suits them best.

There is a deep sense of ritual about this Kingsmoot. The ones who come early have little hope of winning and becoming the ruler of the Iron Born. The proper claim must be presented at the right time, after the blood has really started pumping. The Iron Born seem to really want a proper show. If I'm looking at this Kingsmoot through the eyes of an American, it's quite similar to convention halls where people scream and cheer and the louder you are, the more support your candidate has and the goal is drown everyone else out.

Lord Gylbert Farwynd came first as a candidate, with his three sons (Gyles, Ygon & Yohn) as his champions, promising the Ironborn that if he became king he would lead them to a new bountiful land across the sunset sea, as Nymeria did with her ten thousand ships. His gifts were whale bone, sealskins and bronze.

Aeron thinks this one mad and a fool. And more than that, that the visions Gylbert is putting forth are a "snare set by the Storm God to lure the ironborn to destruction." This family seems to be even less Iron Born that the Reader's.

Victarion Greyjoy came next with Nute the Barber, Ralf the Limper and Red Ralf Stonehouse as his champions. He was well received and his gifts of gold, silver and gems added to his supporters.

Aeron's obvious bias shows through in this chapter. He actually calls Vic forth to begin pressing his claim: "Nine sons were born from the loins of Quellon Greyjoy. One was mightier than all the rest, and knew no fear." Vic's Kingsmoot speech is exactly what you'd expect from him: he has no pretty words; he's not a politician, but a warrior. He can offer the Iron Born his axe. He makes a big deal about his prowess at sea battles (Lannisport) but leaves out that it was never his idea.

Asha Greyjoy came next, however, with Qarl the Maid, Tristifer Botley and Ser Harras Harlaw as her champions. She did better than anyone expected

Asha is the best of all worlds, I think. She can knit the Ironborn a kingdom, like they obviously desire. But she also wants peace and the fact that so many are willing to listen to her (something that distresses Aeron quite a bit) is an obvious indication that the Ironborn might be getting a bit tired on the non stop wars and loosing their sons.

Asha can hold her own against these men who are trying to objectify her as just a woman. Seems like being Balon's daughter gets you little respect, but Asha knows this and is prepared, trading jabs for jabs. I think it's interesting that during much of Asha's own claim, Vic is very silent--he objects to something she says once, but for the most part he's letting Asha speak. I don't think Vic knows how to counter what Asha is saying.

Euron Greyjoy had one of his men, Cragorn, blow the dragon horn. It silenced the fighting. Euron then stepped forward and claimed the Horn they heard could bind dragons to his will, and that he knew where to locate three of the creatures. He promised to use them so the Ironborn could conquer all of Westeros. His men then poured forward his gifts a wealth of treasure. Euron was elected the new Iron King.

Euron is a horrifying human being and I'm hoping he gets eaten by a dragon before long, but there is no denying it: he has style. He knows how to give a speech. He is charismatic and can play the Iron born like a fiddle. Even Aeron gets swept up in his words for a small moment:

For half a heartbeat even Aeron was swept away by the boldness of his words. The priest had dreamed the same dream, when first he'd seen the red comet in the sky. We shall sweep over the green lands with fire and sword, root out the seven gods of the septons and the white trees of the northmen.

This isn't surprising. I see Eruon a bit like a cult leader; he can get the Iron Born to drink the Kool-Aid. He is continually likened to a god. Aeron prays to the Drowned God to stop the "horn of hell" and gets no answer; Euron is more powerful than Aeron's own deity, something that came up in Vic's first chapter (Euron's "people pray when they see me" speech) and something that will come up again before Feast is done.

Other observations

1) The Horn--I think the horn does something I just don't think it is going to do what Euron thinks it will. This horn screams convenient plot device (a magical horn from the smoking ruins of a great civilization that will bind dragons and make me king! oh boy!)

Also, we know Euron is lying about Valryia and where he got the horn from.

2)

Even a priest may doubt. Even a prophet may know terror. Aeron Damphair reached within himself for his god and discovered only silence. As a thousand voices shouted out his brother's name, all he could hear was the scream of a rusted iron hinge.

Aeron is reduced to the small, scared boy whom Euron tormented and abused. Interesting to note that all Aeron discovers in himself at his point is SILENCE, the name of Euron's ship of course. Aeron's first chapter declares that no man could scare the Damphair, he had been reborn, free from fear. So long as Euron is away, that remains true but the Crow's Eye takes away his bravery and his god.

ETA: put something in spoilers once it was pointed out to me that it was in fact a spoiler! Sorry :(

Alright, Paper Weaver.

Even though I tend to find the Iron Born a tiresome lot, the Kingsmoot is a fascinating chapter. It might be the closet thing we see to "democracy" in Westeros, and the fact that it comes from a people so set in the "Old Way" is a touch ironic. It does bring to mind the Great Councils when the Targaryen inheritance was in question. The difference, however, is that anyone can press a claim at the Kingsmoot, not just a family member of the previous king/ruler. Because of this, there's also a bit of the Wildling feelings to it; the Free Folk follow only the strong and Mance had to prove himself against others before he was allowed to call himself the King-Beyond-The-Wall.

One of the more interesting aspect of the Kingsmoot is that you shouldn't press your claim too early. Aeron's internal thoughts give us this:

There is a deep sense of ritual about this Kingsmoot. The ones who come early have little hope of winning and becoming the ruler of the Iron Born. The proper claim must be presented at the right time, after the blood has really started pumping. The Iron Born seem to really want a proper show. If I'm looking at this Kingsmoot through the eyes of an American, it's quite similar to convention halls where people scream and cheer and the louder you are, the more support your candidate has and the goal is drown everyone else out.

The kingsmoot is inspired by the folksmoot, which in Anglo-Saxons and Vikings was a gathering of all the free members of a tribe, community or district, and among its duties was electing kings and chieftains. The folksmoot was precursor for the witengemot which itself was a forerunner for Parliament.

Nagga and the Grey King

Nagga was the first sea dragon, the mightiest ever to rise from the waves. She fed on krakens and leviathans and drowned whole islands in her wrath, yet the Grey king had slain her.

"The Citadel is not what it was," complained the blond. [Lazy Leo speaking to Sam] They will take anything these days. Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins and now a black-clad whale. And here I thought leviathans were gray.

I think Nagga can be foreshadowing for Dany, a dragon born and reborn in the sea (Narrow Sea and Dothraki Sea). She would get help from the Greyjoy's Iron Fleet for the kraken, and Marwyn given Sam being referred to as a leviathan at the Citadel, and leviathans are grey, the color commonly associated with maesters. I think the island that would be drowned by her forces would be Dragonstone or some other isle on her way back to Westeros. The Grey King could be Jon, where grey is one of the colors of House Stark.

Nagga's ribs became the beams and pillars of his longhall, just as her jaws became his throne . . . From here he ruled both stone and salt, wearing robes of woven seaweed and a tall pale crown made from Nagga's teeth . . . The hall had been warmed by Nagga's living fire, which the Grey King had made his thrall.

Dragons are fire made flesh

I think Jon would receive the overwhelming majority of his military strength, including the dragons, from Dany. Nagga's living fire being entrhalled by the Grey King could point to Dany's dragon being warged by Jon to be made his "thrall."

"Again, girl, you are wrong. There are three, and I know where to find them. Surely that is worth a driftwood crown."

As to Euron with his mentioning Dany's dragons, I think that is the first time the Ironmen heard the news. Balon rebels a month before Dany arrives in Qarth, and the first news of her dragons spread. The only way the Ironmen would have heard would have been by the words of sailors, and a captain with any sense would have stayed away from the Iron Isles when they rose up, or risk losing their ship and/or their lives. I think it is largely Euron's charisma, speech, plunder and proposal to conquer all of Westeros that wins them over. Otherwise, they seized eagerly on hearing a guy saying he knows where to find three dragons which they had no info of prior.

Someone threw a pinecone at Asha's head. When she ducked, her makeshift crown fell off.

When Asha evades the Iron Isles after Euron is crowned, and goes to Deepwood where she got the pinecones, it will be her downfall where she is captured by Stannis and her hopes for her own kingdom are smashed.

I'll wait for the champions of the kingsmoot to you

Then were did he get it...? I feel something flew past me (and I thought I had the ironborn covered,,,,).

I believe this comes from the AWOIAF App (spoilers--sorry should have put that in my first post)

1. Pyat Pree and three warlock companions have been captured by the Silence before Euron returned to Pyke. Before that, we only had his claim that he captured some warlocks, although the fact that he has and drinks Shade of the Evening was always a strong sign.

2. Euron captured Dragonbinder along with the warlocks; it was on their ship, possibly in the possession of the warlocks since battle/war between Valyria and Qarth that the Qartheen won, most likely due to the supreme skills of the Undying.

3. Pyat Pree was not the warlock Euron (allegedly) fed to his companions because GRRM already indicated that Pyat Pree would show up in a coming novel.

I used THIS POST for reference (sorry again about spoiler!!)

ETA: changed my original post to reflect spoiler...

I think it is a good idea to evaluate how much support each claimant got and what ideology they represented.

As I said before, the common sense of the ironborn is not bad. The kingsmoot was not just a noisy gathering. They were making a serious decision which would affect their lives.

First of all, the Farwynds. His offer was just madness for the ironborn. No sane sailor sails to the unchartered waters for a land which does not sound real. I think his dramatic failure shows that the ironborn do not want crazy adventures.

Next came Eric. As Aeron put it well, this man might have been a good contender sixty years ago. His failure shows that the ironborn do not want an old done king. The khal must ride. Similarly, the Iron King must sail and raid. Every king should be a captain and every captain is a king on their own deck.

Then we have Lord Dunstan Drumm. He really started well by pointing that the Greyjoys were not installed as kings. He came from an ancient House with past glories, which was also good. But he spoke too much and the audience was bored. He did not offer new glories and objectives to the ironborn. His gifts of bronze were also niggardly.

There are a couple of ideas that can be concluded from his failure. The king must not necessarily be a kraken. The ironborn want a king with a good name and heritage, a glib tongue and most importantly a solution to their current problems.

After him came Victarion. His gifts were rich and well received. He is the Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet, a proven and fearsome warrior. He got the blessing of Aeron in front of the kingsmoot, which was also good. But his lack of glib tongue and not offering anything other than following Balon’s Quest undid him. He sent a very bad message by appearing as a follower instead of a headstrong leader. He told that he followed Balon loyally, thinking that it was a good thing. He was wrong in that. I don’t think the entire ironborn adored Balon as Victarion did. As Asha and Theon pointed, his glory in burning the Lannister fleet belonged to mostly Euron. He was following Euron’s plan. As a result, although Victarion got a lot of support, he could not make an image of himself as a leader able to come up with new strategies. Asha’s intervention showed this weakness of him.

We should also note that all the previous claimants chose their sons or grandsons as their champions. The king must have an heir because the ironborn were not choosing only the king but his descendants too. Having strong sons as successors sends a very good message to the ironborn. Euron took care to bring his bastards and introduced them to the ironborn. Victarion has no descendants. That was bad for him. And for Asha as well.

And the intervention of Asha. I think the amount of support she got unexpectedly shows that the desire of change is not scarce among the ironborn. They want something new and different and Asha offered them the most unorthodox way. But Asha had her drawbacks too.

In addition to the ones above (lack of strong heirs), Asha is a woman, which is unacceptable for some of the most orthodox ironborn. From a realistic point of view, her notion of peace with the Northmen was impossible, not after the sacking of Winterfell and the murder of Stark boys.

And finally we come to the winner. Euron did not win the kingsmoot by just sounding the hellhorn. Before coming to the kingsmoot, he already made a lot of moves toward the victory.

He came to the kingsmoot as the one who sits the Seastone Chair and he never missed a chance to point that. This is in a way similar to how Cersei was deriving her power from the IT when she faced Ned in the dramatic confrontation at the throne room. This is also what Mel described as the trappings of power. Euron talked and acted like the king before coming to the kingsmoot.

We already talked about how he brought his bastards and showed them to the ironborn. That was an important thing as well.

We should also note that Euron was spreading tales about his raids and plunders in the other side of the world. Such talks were on the tongues of all the captains and sailors. I think most of those tales were BS but Euron inflated them with lies and fed them to the ironborn. Like a modern politician, he deceived the ironborn with fabricated stories and clever strategies.

And that horn. It is definitely a sorcerous thing. Its power apparently confirmed all of Euron’s remarkable raving tales including a voyage to the ruins of Valyria. But that is not necessarily the case. I think most of Euron’s raids were just scavenging and exploiting the spoils of better corsairs. It is possible that he robbed the Corsair King who is most likely Gerion Lannister and stole his spoils perhaps including Brightroar, though he never showed it yet.

ETA: Fire Eater, do you think Euron with Brightroar might be a parallel to King Lancel V?

Euron referred to his famous ancestors as great reavers but he also claimed to be better than all of them. His excessive boldness made a good impression on the ironborn because none of the previous claimants were able to convince them with a promise of glory ,especially a grand one Euron suggested.

As a result, Euron won a well deserved victory. We should give it to him. He outwitted Asha (Victarion was not even able to respond to him).

Nagga and the Grey King

Nagga was the first sea dragon, the mightiest ever to rise from the waves. She fed on krakens and leviathans and drowned whole islands in her wrath, yet the Grey king had slain her.

I agree with this interpretation. There are cases in which the flesh of characteristic animals feed other characteristic animals. Also there are cases in which characteristic animals feed on prizes. I think these characteristic animals are meant to represent monarchs and lords and the prizes they are eating are lands, seats, ladies with good dowries etc. There are many examples of such symbolism. The ones that readily come to my mind are:

Drogon feeding on the flesh of Barsena and the boar that killed her. Barsena represents Robert and the boar is Cersei. That means a monarch will claim most of the forces of the Lannisters and Baratheons. Given that Drogon is a black dragon, I think fAegon might be the one do that, at least initially. In fact, he already took Storm’s End and probably all the lords serving the Storm’s End bent knee to him. After saving the Reach, fAegon might lead the Redwyne Fleet and the Hightower armies to subdue Westerlands. The promise of gold will be desirable.

Dany thought that her flesh will feed the wolves and crows while she was sleeping under the wall that symbolizes the Wall. Wolves and crows refer to Starks (or Northmen in general) and the NW. This means Dany’s forces will join them when she comes to the Wall and Dany will not be in the commanding position because she is not the eating side in the symbolism.

There is also a case in which Summer and Shaggydog fell on a wounded horse after Winterfell is sacked and they fought on the prize about the right of first feeding. Summer subdued Shaggydog, he fed and then he let Shaggydog eat. I think the wounded horse is Winterfell. Bran will return to claim his birthright. He will be the Lord of Winterfell and after some time, he will let Rickon succeed him. As Rickon was feeding, Summer was licking his wounds. That means Bran will help Rickon rebuild the North during his reign.

Also the woman savaged by the dwarves in HotU, who was a representation of the Realm, supports this interpretation. Another parallel to this vision was again Dany under the symbolic wall when her flesh was bitten by ants coming from the other side of the wall.

I think this interpretation with all the examples might deserve its own thread.

“You are certain that he [Theon] is dead?”

“I am certain of nothing.”

“You found a body?”

“We found parts of many bodies. The wolves were there before us . . . the four-legged sort, but they showed scant reverence for their two-legged kin. The bones of the slain were scattered, cracked open for their marrow. I confess, it was hard to know what happened there. It seemed as though the northmen fought amongst themselves.”

“Crows will fight over a dead man’s flesh and kill each other for his eyes.” Lord Rodrik stared across the sea, watching the play of moonlight on the waves. “We had one king, then five. Now all I see are crows, squabbling over the corpse of Westeros.”

“It’s my father’s seat I want, not yours. Those scythes of yours look perilous. One could fall and slice my head off. No, I’ll sit the Seastone Chair.”

“Then you are just another crow, screaming for carrion.”

In fact, this interpretation is plainly stated by Lord Rodrik.

Nothing really to add, except a comment on the KM. Indeed, it's the closest to democracy Westeros has and, what are elections but a bunch of men and women screaming their virtues and strengths with gifts and promises?

The IB are thought to be dumb and useless but they do follow the strongest leader, which mostly of us does now. Of course they follow the tradition of blood inheritance but in this case, they are allowed to choose and have their opinions being heard.

The winner is Euron, and he wins with promises of dragons, which isn't a surprise. Something funny happened to me a few days ago. We're in elections times in my city (we vote in November for majors) and one of the candidates, who was "lucky" to be cleared from corruption charges has promised a hospital in my district. Mostly people said "yay! a hospital!!". But is really needed, despite a hospital being an obvious need? Well, we already have three main health buildings in the district, and a few more very close. Also, there is not a real area to have one and the hospitals he promises are like others he built before: rent some small houses and have the offices there. People get easily bought by promises of better things, even when they, deep inside, know they're not worthy.

Nice analysis again. Enjoyed the comparison between the Dothraki following the strongest Khal who can ride and raid, and the Ironborn following the strongest man who can sail and raid. Very good.

Overall, great analysis of a wonderful chapter.

Another type of election we see in Westeros is how the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is chosen. There are some important differences though: In the NW, the names of candidates are put forward by others, while in the Kingsmoot anyone can be a candidate who is willing to enter the contest. The NW election can last a long time, while the Kingsmoot will choose immediately after hearing all the candidates. In the NW the votes are counted, here the loudest shout decides the outcome. The Kingsmoot is obviously a more ancient custom.

The wildlings also follow the strongest leader, but they don't have an election. Instead, they watch the candidates fight and win (or lose).

A strong warrior leader is most crucial where survival is the hardest. A child king can be tolerated in times of peace and economic stability. The Dothraki, the Ironborn, the NW or the wildlings cannot afford to follow a name instead of a leader.

I like the Nagga interpretation.

This is something Fire Eater suggested. Perhaps the kingsmoot is designed to represent the game of thrones in the green lands.

Gilbert Farwynd = Stannis

This would-be king was a tall spare lord with a melancholy visage, his lantern jaw shaved clean.

“I am Gylbert Farwynd, Lord of the Lonely Light,”

… the scattered isles beyond, rocks so small that most could support but a single household.

Farwynd is Stannis. He has the least supporters to start with, and comes from the scattered isles in Blackwater Bay with each isle supporting only a single lordly house.

The Farwynds there were even queerer than the rest. Some said they were skinchangers, unholy creatures who could take on the forms of sea lions, walruses, even spotted whales, the wolves of the wild sea.

The spotted whales (wolves of the wild sea) are the Northmen fighting for Stannis. The walruses are the Manderlys. About the sea lions. A faction of the Lannisters (Gerion?) will declare for Stannis?

Lord Gylbert spoke of a wondrous land beyond the Sunset Sea, a land without winter or want, where death had no dominion. This is very similar to what Mel and the Red Religion preach when Stannis or Dany (would-be AARs) lead and win the Battle for Dawn.

Also Lord Gylbert was the first to press his claim in the kingsmoot. That was a doomed choice because no one would choose the first dish placed before them. Stannis was one of the first claimants to press his claim after Robert’s death and his claim is doomed from the beginning because no one wants him as the king.

Erik Ironmaker = Robert

A former legendary, large and fearless warrior who fought with a large hammer, but now has gone to seed and become fat with a large number of progeny.

Asha = Dany

I'm a mother too, here's my suckling babe [her dirk]!

Asha is clearly the inference for Dany, the daughter of the old mad king pressing her claim, and has never lost a battle up to that point. She refers to her weapon as her child while Dany thinks of her dragons as her children.

Victarion = fAegon

“Brother, give me blessing,” he said when he reached the top. He knelt and bowed his head. Aeron uncorked his waterskin and poured a stream of seawater down upon his brow.

Victarion is fAegon, he is supported and anointed by the priest while Aegon will be supported and anointed by the HS. He won his share of victories. Victarion's side also engages in a struggle with Asha's, foreshadowing for the second Dance between Dany and fAegon.

“Make your claim, Victarion,” the Merlyn called. “Let us have done with this mummer’s farce.”

Much of the instability is the work of a former mummer which makes the whole thing a kind of mummer’s farce.

Merlyn first urged Victarion to press his claim but later he shouted for Asha. Somebody will betray fAegon and turn his cloak for Dany?

Euron = Jon

The one who wins the kingsmoot is Euron whose alias is “Crow's Eye” while Jon is a crow who will win the game of thrones.

Euron's dragonhorn, or as Aeron calls it, “the horn of hell”, ends the squabbling, just as the Horn of Joramun, which Mel called “the horn of hell” will cause the Wall to fall drawing eyes away from the game of thrones.

Only one living kraken has never known defeat. Only one has never bent his knee. Only one has sailed to Asshai by the Shadow, and seen wonders and terrors beyond imagining.

Jon has gone further north than any Targaryen. He has never been defeated in battle, and has went beyond the Wall and seen wonders and terrors such as the Others and wights. You could also count the giants.

Asha challenges Euron during his kingsmoot speech just as Dany will likely challenge Jon's claim about his heritage.

Euron was the reason of the kingsmoot by killing the Mad King (Balon).

The events leading to the conception of Jon caused the downfall of the Mad King (Aerys).

Euron had half-brothers who could not grow into adulthood. Jon had half-siblings who could not grow into adulthood.

House Drumm = House Hightower

House Drumm is an ancient House having considerable past glories just like House Hightower. Lord Drumm spoke too much of the history, like a scholarly Lord Hightower. Their gifts were niggardly. We do not see Hightower swords in any of the conflicts since the Dance 1.0 which means they spend their swords niggardly. Drumms rule the holiest island (Old Wyk) just like Oldtown is the holiest center of the Faith. Most of the claimants will come to Oldtown just like the kingsmoot took place in the lands of House Drumm.

We also see that Andrik will be given a lordship by Euron to deprive Drumms of a strong champion. This means Hightowers might lose some of their sworn bannermen to Jon or Dany. House Beesbury is a sworn House to Hightowers but Lyman Beesbury refused to take Aegon II as the successor of Viserys I against the wishes of the Hightowers.

The Drumms have a VS sword which they took from an armored knight with their wits. The Hightowers have a VS sword which they bought with their fortune mainly dependent on their wits in championing the Citadel.

House Harlaw = House Lannister

Harlaws are Lannisters with the Reader being a parallel to Tyrion, an avid reader and skilled politician who has the wealthiest seat in the Iron Isles just as CR is the wealthiest seat in Westeros. Harlaw is a numerous, divided house just as House Lannister is. The Knight would be Jaime who was regarded as Tywin's heir just as the Knight is regarded as the Reader's heir.

The sworn bannermen of Harlaws are also divided. Stonetrees supported Victarion. Kennings supported Victarion too. Myres, once bitter foes of the Harlaws, supported Euron. Under the leadership of Cersei as the head of House Lannister, they will lose their bannermen. It is possible that after LS and Blackfish destroy Lannister hosts in Riverlands, Westerlands will be powerless and ready to be taken by the first monarch to come by.

Very interesting analysis Paper Waver, though my insides cringe at comparing Jon and Euron, one I love and one I really don't. But if this Kingsmoot was intended to be read as such, then I do think this is how Jon will become King by series end. He'll win his own "Kingsmoot;" but what I think is more important than the comparison is the contrast GRRM is going to draw, namely that Euron seeks the crown, Jon will not. Euron was chosen because he's Balon's brother and has a really impressive horn that scares people, but Euron wants this crown. He has a lot of political ambition, and all of it is self-interested.

Also makes me wonder if Euron is going to be a a very big player in the future series, more than any other Greyjoy.

Very interesting analysis Paper Waver, though my insides cringe at comparing Jon and Euron, one I love and one I really don't. But if this Kingsmoot was intended to be read as such, then I do think this is how Jon will become King by series end. He'll win his own "Kingsmoot;" but what I think is more important than the comparison is the contrast GRRM is going to draw, namely that Euron seeks the crown, Jon will not. Euron was chosen because he's Balon's brother and has a really impressive horn that scares people, but Euron wants this crown. He has a lot of political ambition, and all of it is self-interested.

Also makes me wonder if Euron is going to be a a very big player in the future series, more than any other Greyjoy.

All of the Greyjoys are in a position to be heavily involved in...something (well, how lame did that sound, but nevermind). We have Asha and Theon in the North, poised to be involved in the Northern politics and Stannis' bid for the Throne. We have Victarion in Meereen, set to be heavily involved with Dany and her dragons. Euron is rampaging around the Reach and is a direct claimant to the Iron Throne, antagonising the Lannisters and Tyrells and also involves with Dany via the Warlocks of Qarth. And then there is Aeron, who is supposedly stirring up the Iron Islands against Euron.

All of the Greyjoys are in a position to be heavily involved in...something (well, how lame did that sound, but nevermind). We have Asha and Theon in the North, poised to be involved in the Northern politics and Stannis' bid for the Throne. We have Victarion in Meereen, set to be heavily involved with Dany and her dragons. Euron is rampaging around the Reach and is a direct claimant to the Iron Throne, antagonising the Lannisters and Tyrells and also involves with Dany via the Warlocks of Qarth. And then there is Aeron, who is supposedly stirring up the Iron Islands against Euron.

I agree that they will all be heavily involved in something (lol), though I think many of them are going to die in WOW. I think Vic dies in Meereen; Theon dies fighting FOR Winterfell; Aeron is...doing something and he'll reappear to fight Euron; I do think Euron will be involved in more than just the game (though if he gets eaten by a dragon, I do not object); and Asha...I think Asha outlives them all.

Jon = Eron, oh ok. Not Bloodraven, no there is no parallel there but Jon. So Jon intends to lie cheat and steal his way to the throne? You understand that Euron is going to get crushed?

Asha is the best of all of them. I do love the fact that it now appears that not only is Vic a dolt( Martins own words) but also is insecure with a small penis. It would also appear Vic is not even a Greyjoy. Ficterion Grey something or another.

I agree there are some similarities, and parallels which I have written about but is it wise to be overly direct with the parallels. Honestly Euron reminds me more of the Night's King than J...? Lets see who Euron is in bed with. Perhaps the Warlocks hmmmmmmm? They had a a cold dead rotting heart (heart of winter) wished to snuff out the fire. Blue is an overwhelming color for them, just like Jon and Euron has his blue lips. Oh my what is Jon up too? Also Jon gave sam a horn and sent him off and Euron gave Vic a horn and sent him off with a woman as well. Yes so Vic is really Sam, and Euron is Jon and the Others will be Jon's warlocks.

Archived