When to start season 3?

Hi everyone! :)

I've already read the first two books and watched the first two seasons after I finished each book. I've almost finished the first part of the third book (I have the UK edition which splits Storm of Swords into two books, Part 1 titled Steel and Snow and Part 2 titled Blood and Gold). I know some of the future plot points, but I don't want to spoil it completely for myself, so I need a little bit of help who read and watched the series too. :) How big part of the book does season 3 cover? Part one is 569 pages, and the Red Wedding (​about which I don't know much yet, only that it's brutal :D) is in part two's beginning and I know it's in the first to last episode of season 3. So, how long after the Red Wedding should I go on with reading the book?

Thanks in advance! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So you want to see the show unspoiled by the books?

Well, without being spoiled at all, you actually have to stop reading before the Red Wedding, since some timelines are shifted.

Anyway, by POV:

- Bran: s3 covers all of his ASOS chapters
- Catelyn: s3 covers all of her ASOS chapters
- Dany: s3 covers her chapters until Daenerys IV (Chapter 42)
- Jon: s3 covers his chapters roughly until Jon VI (Chapter 48)
- Arya: s3 covers her chapters roughly until Arya XII (Chapters 65); though in the show a lot of Arya XII is not covered at all
- Tyrion: s3 covers parts of Tyrion VI (Chapter 53), but whole Tyrion V (Chapter 38) and even parts of Tyrion IV (Chapter 32) are moved to s4
- Sansa: s3 covers her chapters until Sansa IV (Chapter 59)
- Davos: s3 covers parts of Davos VI (Chapter 63), though some of this chapter has been moved to s4
- Theon: s3 covers Theon, though he's completely absent in the books. For him the show spoils later books, so be aware.
- Sam: s3 roughly covers Samwell until Samwell III (Chapter 46)

Read the whole book before watching seasons 3 and 4. Also, seasons 3 and 4 already have a lot of stuff from books 4 and 5 so the best way of doing things is to read the whole series before watching seasons 3 and 4. There's actually a few scenes in season 4 that haven't appeared in the books yet (I'm not talking about changes to the story, but scenes that will probably appear in TWOW or ADOS).

• 5 weeks later...

The author obviously has read everything already, but that's a good factshit so if someone else if going to use it too, two things to add:

1) Poor Jaime got forgotten :(
- Jaime's timeline was shifted a bit compared to the other storylines, but the only possible good answer is that s3 covers his chapters roughly until Jaime VI (chapter 44)

2)

So you want to see the show unspoiled by the books?

I don't think so, I think that the case is to read the books unspoiled by the show, but not to delay the show much more than necessary.

It changes the view about

- Davos: s3 covers parts of Davos VI (Chapter 63), though some of this chapter has been moved to s4
- in this case it should be added that this chapter cannot be fully understood on the ground of s3 chapters, so if the case is "books unspoiled by the show", there is no perfect solution, but it's better if one desides to have books spoiled by the show a little bit and assumes that the s3 Davos ends with Davos V (54).

• 4 weeks later...

I have the US edition, 2 parts in 1, 81 chapters in all. And when you finish part 1, that will be Chapter 41. You should start season 3 once you do but I'm not sure if you should 'finish' season 3 until you get about 3 quarters of the way done with ASOS (or halfway done with part 2 since you have the UK edition).

Archived