The Wiki-Timeline Project [Calculations]

13 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Tywin Lannister was appointed as Hand of the King at the age of 20, and was thereby the youngest man ever to become Hand in the history of the Seven Kingdoms.[6]}[35] This means that Jon was at least 21 years old when he was appointed Hand of the Kind in 282 AC, placing his birth no later than 261 AC

No further specifications can be given. Jon Connington was thus born in or between 260 AC and 262 AC.

Typo. :)

Note: Rhaegar Targaryen visits Griffin’s Roost on his way back from Dorne, when Jon’s father is still alive. Though there are plenty of reasons why Rhaegar could have been in Dorne, it is possible Rhaegar had gone to Sunspear to meet with the Martells for his wedding to Elia Martell. In this case, Rhaegar’s visit to Griffin’s Roost would have taken place in either 278 AC or 279 AC. This would suggest that Jon’s father died in either 278 AC, 279 AC, 280 AC or 281 AC, to make room for Jon ruling in his own name for multiple years before being exiled. Connington mentions Rhaegar had been young, and he himself even younger at this event. If the meeting at Griffin’s Roost indeed took place in 278/279 AC, Jon Connington would have been between the ages of 13 and 16, based on the three possible years op birth for Jon.

I think this needs to be edited now. And the wedding of Rhaegar and Elia took place in King's Landing in 280 AC.

3 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Typo. :)

Thanks!

3 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I think this needs to be edited now. And the wedding of Rhaegar and Elia took place in King's Landing in 280 AC.

Edited slightly. I hadn't meant that Rhaegar had gone to Sunspear to marry Elia, but to discuss the betrothal/wedding. Hope the wording is better now.

Viserys has been mentioned to have been 43 years old in 120 AC. This leaves the following options for Viserys:

• 42 turning 43 in 120 AC, placing his birth in 77 AC
  • 43 turning 44 in 120 AC, placing his birth in 76 AC

Viserys has also been mentioned to have been 52 years old in 129 AC. This leaves the following options for Viserys:

• 51 turning 52 in 129 AC, placing his birth in 77 AC
  • 52 turning 53 in 129 AC, placing his birth in 76 AC

As both sources for Viserys’ age concern historical works, rule #3 applies. This would eliminate 76 AC as a possible year of birth, leaving only 77 AC.

Viserys was thus born in 77 AC.

Sources are missing.

Tytos Lannister died at the age of 46 in 267,(The World of Ice and Fire, Aerys II) so maybe you should add that.

Viserys I was also 24 in 101 AC (The World of Ice and Fire, Jaehaerys I).

Steffon went Across the Narrow Sea on the orders of King Aerys II in 278 AC.[17] He died on his way back. After his death, Tywin Lannister brought Cersei Lannister to court, at the age of 12.[17]As it is a historical work of Maester Yandel describing Cersei Lannister as aged 12 at this event, Cersei Lannister will have been turning 12 that year (see rule #3), indicating that this event occurred in 278 AC, as Cersei Lannister was born in 266 AC.[17][39]

Is it really Yandel stating the age of Cersei when she came to court?

Walder is a squire in 299 AC, meaning he would minimally have been turning 8 in 299 AC.[105] That would make his last possible year of birth 291 AC.

Source.

8 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Viserys I was also 24 in 101 AC (The World of Ice and Fire, Jaehaerys I).

Will add.

Is it really Yandel stating the age of Cersei when she came to court?

That's a really odd mistake to have snuck in there. That Cersei was brought to KL after Steffon's death is in The World of Ice and Fire: The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II, that she was twelve is from ASOS, Chapter 11, Jaime II

Source.

Clash, Appendix

Grand Maester Pycelle tells Rickard’s son Ned that King Maekars summer took place before Rickard was born. King Maekar ruled from 221 AC until 233 AC, this summer took place in 7 years during this reign.[24]The winter that followed this summer began in 231 AC,[25] though it is unknown how long the autumn had lasted.

Aegon's reign was a challenging one, starting as it did in the midst of a winter that had lasted three years and showed no signs of abating. (The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon V)

Since Aegon's reign started in 233 AC, wouldn't that place the beginning of the winter in 230 AC?

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Since Aegon's reign started in 233 AC, wouldn't that place the beginning of the winter in 230 AC?

No. Aegon began his reign in 233 AC. Thus, the first three years of that winter would have been 231 AC, 232 AC, and 233 AC, right? We also have:

In 236 AC, as a cruel six-year-long winter drew to a close, the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion saw the sef-styled King Daemon III Blackfyre, son of Haegon and grandson of Daemon I, cross the narrow sea with Bittersteel and the Golden Company at his back, in a fresh attempt to seize the Iron Throne

With the six year winter ending in 236 AC, it would have begun in 231 AC, right?

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

No. Aegon began his reign in 233 AC. Thus, the first three years of that winter would have been 231 AC, 232 AC, and 233 AC, right?

I would never count it this way. When I speak about a one-year-long winter, said winter lasted twelve months. So a six-year-long winter would last six times twelve months (roughly). And if we start in the first month of 236 AC and go back these six times twelve months, we are in the first month of 230 AC.

30 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I would never count it this way. When I speak about a one-year-long winter, said winter lasted twelve months. So a six-year-long winter would last six times twelve months (roughly). And if we start in the first month of 236 AC and go back these six times twelve months, we are in the first month of 230 AC.

I adressed that in the errata thread when TWOIAF spoiler period was over, but I was told that it was an incorrect count to say it begun in 230 AC.

In addition, the count is also based on the count of Aegon III's six year long winter, which lasted from 130 AC to 135 AC.

There was starvation and suffering in the North, as there had been a hundred years before, in the long winter that reigned from 130 to 135 AC. 

That would imply that the six year long winter during Maekar I's reign and Aegon V's reign was supposed to have lasted from 231 AC to 236 AC (given that we know for a fact that it ended in 236 AC), I think.

1 minute ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

If it began in 231 AC, it was a five-year-long winter. Just count the months. :D But I see, apparently it's GRRM or Ran/Linda counting in a very complicated way (at best). I don't know about the English language, but in German this would be wrong.

I totally get what you mean, :D but comparing it to the other text gives 231 - 236 as result. :dunno:

6 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

It's not possible that the winter starting during the Dance lasted 5 years and 8 months or something like this?

Sure. Maiden's Day appears to occur somewhere towards the end of the first half of the year (a more detailed timeline of the main series would place it somewhere in the fourth or fifth month, iirc - can't check my notes on that right now). But that would still be described as 6 years, of course.

Quentyn received his knighthood at the age of 18.[100] This cannot have happened in 300 AC, since Quentyn refused his uncle Oberyn to knight him, accepting knighthood from Lord Anders Yronwood instead.[38] Oberyn Martell travelled away from Dorne in late 299 AC[88] and did not return alive, showing that Quentyn was knighted in 299 AC.

Do we know that Quentyn was knighted immediately after refusing Oberyn's offer? Maybe Quentyn was offered knighthood by Oberyn und just said "No, thanks", and was knighted by Anders a few weeks later though (in the first days of 300 AC).

4 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Do we know that Quentyn was knighted immediately after refusing Oberyn's offer? Maybe Quentyn was offered knighthood by Oberyn und just said "No, thanks", and was knighted by Anders a few weeks later though (in the first days of 300 AC).

It does make it sound that way. Especially considering that knighthood is rather important in Westerosi culture, it would be odd for someone to refuse being knighted, instead waiting an unknown amount of time until he is finally knighted by another. Being knighted in itself, is already an honour.

But that's not the only reason. Lord Anders knighted Quentyn in the end, and he was with his host at the Boneway Pass, before the Blackwater, whereas Quentyn was at Yronwood. No knighthood that way.

Additionally, it would seem that Quentyn had left Westeros before 300 AC began. (Such a short period into 300 AC (A Feast For Crows, The Soiled Knight) Arianne believes that Quentyn has already reached the Golden Company, in Myr, despite the fact that the journey would have lasted multiple weeks (at the very least)).

But I'll add the "Yronwood at Prince's Pass, Quentyn at Yronwood" part ;) !

• 2 weeks later...

Glendon Ball

Glendon was 16, 17 or 18 years old in 211 AC. Glendon’s father, Quentyn Ball, died before Glendon was born. Quentyn Ball died in 196 AC. Being either 16, 17 or 18 years old in 211 AC gives the following options:

• 15 turning 16, placing his birth in 195 AC
  • 16 turning 17, placing his birth in 194 AC
  • 17 turning 18, placing his birth in 193 AC
  • 18 turning 19, placing his birth in 192 AC

As Glendons father died in 196 AC, before Glendon’s birth, Glendon’s first possible moment of birth would be 196 AC. This would eliminate all four options stated above. Thus, Glendon was born in 196 AC.

I don't really understand why, according to this, Glendon couldn't have been born in 195 AC for example.

20 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Glendon Ball

I don't really understand why, according to this, Glendon couldn't have been born in 195 AC for example.

Glendon states that he was born after the death of Quentyn Ball. Quentyn died in 196 AC, making it impossible for Glendon to have been born one or more years earlier.

I'v updated the wording to reflect things better:

Birth

Upon first meeting Glendon in 211 AC, Duncan estimates him to be 16 years old, definitly no more than 18.[58] That would give Glendon the following optiont:

• 15 turning 16 in 211 AC, placing his birth in 195 AC
  • 16 turning 17 in 211 AC, placing his birth in 194 AC
  • 17 turning 18 in 211 AC, placing his birth in 193 AC
  • 18 turning 19 in 211 AC, placing his birth in 192 AC

However, according to Glendon himself, his father died before he was born.[58] Glendon's supposed father, Quentyn Ball, died during the First Blackfyre Rebellion[58] in 196 AC. This would eliminate all four options presented above.

In addition, it is known that, during this first meeting of Glendon and Duncan, Glendon has been a knight for nearly half a year,[58] making him at least 15,5 years old.[59] Being 15 and a half years old in 211 AC leaves the following two options:

• Glendon has turned 15 in 211 AC, placing his birth in 196 AC
  • Glendon will turn 16 later in 211 AC, placing his birth in 195 AC

As Glendon cannot have been born before 196 AC, due to the fact that he was born afterQuentyn Ball's death (which took place in 196 AC), 196 AC is the only possible year of birth left.

Glendon Ball was thus born in 196 AC.

Archived