People who don't care about "The Big Four"?

The Onion Sleight

I just want to ask if here are some persons who say about themselves that they don't care about

Tyrion, Dany, Jon and Arya?

I picked them because, well, I guess these are very likely the most prominent and famous characters, whose with the most POV chapters and they are actually the most time very beloved (besides Dany who's polarizing and divisive).

They were also all under the Top 10 in the last big poll on this forum (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100822-poll-favourite-character-results/), but are there guys who are not interested in them / don't care about them / don't like them / maybe even hate them all?

We know they'll likely/certainly play big roles in the future and get again more page-time in the next books (as they always got), but more presence doesn't automatically makes more love, I guess.

(I don't ask for "Well, they are not my (most) favourites, but I still like them", I really ask for disinterest / dislike. And it doesn't count, if it's just one or two of them for you, I ask for at least three or better all four!)

Anyone?

I only care about Arya (she's my ultimate favorite), but the other three can go suck an egg

Jon's storyline in aDwD is only remotely passable because that void of personality with legs hangs around some of the most entertaining characters in the books, but Dany's and Tyrion's chapters are a damn nightmare

I like Tyrion a lot, and Dany is okay. Jon is boring... if he turns out to be totally dead I'll be fine with that. I find Arya to be obnoxious. Actually, her chapters at Harrenhal and Braavos are boring too. She's probably my least favorite of all the important POVs.

Tyrion is the only one of the bunch I've really enjoyed, Arya and Jon have been good but at times felt like nothing was happening. Dany, I hate. Her aDwD chapters made me want to put the book down every time. I had to make sure I didn't stop reading with a Dany chapter set to begin or I'd not want to pick it back up.

Love jon (fav male character in the series) since dance I really don't care about Tyrion anymore (hope that changes again but am doubting it) again don't care much about Arya since Braavos and I never cared much about Dany (I don't hate her just have no interest in her.)

I just want to ask if here are some persons who say about themselves that they don't care about

Tyrion, Dany, Jon and Arya?

I picked them because, well, I guess these are very likely the most prominent and famous characters, whose with the most POV chapters and they are actually the most time very beloved (besides Dany who's polarizing and divisive).

They were also all under the Top 10 in the last big poll on this forum (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100822-poll-favourite-character-results/), but are there guys who are not interested in them / don't care about them / don't like them / maybe even hate them all?

We know they'll likely/certainly play big roles in the future and get again more page-time in the next books (as they always got), but more presence doesn't automatically makes more love, I guess.

(I don't ask for "Well, they are not my (most) favourites, but I still like them", I really ask for disinterest / dislike. And it doesn't count, if it's just one or two of them for you, I ask for at least three or better all four!)

Anyone?

And here I thought this thread was about thrash metal, har !

I think it is possible to not care about one of them, or two, but all 4 ? Kind of leaves the story in tatters.

I like all of them, but Dany is the most insufferable. Her natural arrogance and the high-and-getting-higher death count on her learning curve irritate me.

I'm re-reading aDwD at the moment hoping to find some fresh appreciation for the book.

• Tyrion is one of my favourites, but he does feel like he's having his own Free Cities/Slavers Bay version of the Hangover 2. Definately enjoyed the original Hangover set in the Eyrie/Kings Landing more - maybe I'm just missing Bronn and Shagga. Bloody sequels.
  • Dany hasn't really done it for me. She has felt very much removed from the story of Westeros and the Winter that is coming from beyond the wall the whole series - despite perhaps being the most important to the coming confrontation.
  • Arya's story has had a certain charm - but assassin boarding school is no place for such an angry little girl.
  • Jon has been great to follow, he's where the action's at, hangs round with funny, clever people. That he still knows nothing is somewhat amusing. I'm hoping he's going to be healing from injury rather than coming back from the dead. Beric got more reckless the more often he died. Jon doesn't need that syndrome kicking in. Hopefully a near death experience will help him make better choices in the future.

In a sense I'm not entirely satisfied with where any of the main four are at come the end of aDwD. I'm hopeful they regain a bit of their appeal in the next book.

I think it is possible to not care about one of them, or two, but all 4 ? Kind of leaves the story in tatters.

That's it. Liking ASOIAF while being indifferent to or disliking Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Arya is pretty much the same as liking pie without the filling.

They've changed from book 1 to 5 for me. I liked Dany and Tyrion in the beginning, and now I like Jon and Arya. The characters take turns being interesting, tbh. Wonder if we'll see them all being interesting in the end.

That's it. Liking ASOIAF while being indifferent to or disliking Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Arya is pretty much the same as liking pie without the filling.

:agree:

and i dont know how Arya's learning would have went but i think all three of their plots are slowed down and sacrificed in a way to give other new character plots to get some time and to get to the point in the story where they all stand at the same point

I like them all mainly Jon, he's so different from all the backstabbing, evil, murderous, entitled, interchangeable characters who are all connected by their greedy wants of power and an ugly chair. He's not a player of a game of thrones character who has a backstory that explains his murderous, evil messed up tendencies.

I love Arya and Dany. Tyrion has fallen from grace but he killed Tywin and for that alone I'll like him forever as long as he does not harm any Starks or Targaryens.

When it comes to measuring POV characters against each other (whether Big 4, Big 6, or Big 12) the following poll may be more relevant, as it measures them directly against each other:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96872-pov-poll-rooting-for-or-against/page-5

Basically, they ended up ranking as follows:

1. Jon

2. Arya

3. Davos

4. Sansa

5. Bran

6. Brienne

7. Jaime

8. Sam

9. Tyrion

10. Theon

11. Dany

12. Cersei

I am surprised at how low Dany and Tyrion came in the poll.

The only POV characters of the 'big four' that I look forward to anymore is Arya. I loved Tyrion's chapters from aGoT through aSoS, but his chapters in aDwD were such a drag and hardly contributed to the overall plot of the series. Seriously, if he died at the end of aSoS, that would've changed NOTHING in the grand scheme of things in aDwD. Everything would still play out the same. There was an absurd amount of Tyrion POVs in aDwD for no reason (so far).

I really hope that Jon is dead. His chapters have consistantly sucked ass ever since the beginning (except for maybe the second half of aSoS).

The big four that I look forward to are Bran, Davos, Theon, and Alayne.

Well, I wanted to go to extremes to see IF there's ANYONE who thinks so.

And I understand what you mean, I meant with "not being interested" less their storylines and their roles in the book, and more them as persons; so, e.g. when people want to see what happens at the Wall, Meereen, Braavos, aso. and want them to do stuff, get it on, to bring things into effect, are interested in the characters' actions, but care less about the characters themselves and their aftermath (e.g. if they live or die).

Thank you for the answers so far :cheers: The differences are very interesting.

I like to consider them from an outside perspective. Why do these four specifically have the most chapters? Because the story is about them, no matter how much others may love Stannis, the Greyjoys, or the Tyrells.

In true GRRM style, he gives us just enough of each to love them or hate them. I love Jon, Dany, and Arya, and I'm pretty meh about Tyrion, though I do speak against him when he's being portrayed as "good." I had to rant for awhile to some friends who don't understand why I don't like him all that much because he's the "only good Lannister." Well, first off, there are no good Lannisters. :p No, but really, he falls pretty short of being the "good" one, and perhaps only by default.

I think the reason they're falling out of favor is just hype aversion. They're popular so some want to hate them.

I have never looked at Jon, Tyrion, Dany, or Arya as main characters nor do I care but everybody is central to the story.

Also there is nothing wrong with not liking any of those characters. They can be unlikable like every other character and we have our preferences.

I think the reason they're falling out of favor is just hype aversion. They're popular so some want to hate them.

Nah, I think it's because their post-aSoS chapters are a bit of a let down, for the most part. I used to love Dany and Tyrion, but their storylines in aDwD made me dread their chapters

Archived