What do you think of Petyr Baelish?

You guys probably already figured this out and it's so obvious to you, but I don't trust him with Sansa. Some people have said that they think he's helping her out because she's Catelyn's daughter, but he even said himself the only person he ever loved was Catelyn. So, I'm trying to figure out why he would want to help Sansa, there has to be something that he gains in this, I just don't know what.

So, what do you think? Do you trust him? Why? And if you don't trust him why do you think he's helping Sansa?

Well, I think he's helping Sansa so he can benefit from her. She is of course the heir to Winterfell and he can benefit from that by being her guard. Also, everything LF does is to become more powerful, he killed Lysa, so he can be the warden of the East until Robert comes of age and he can manipulatie him long enough to do everything he wants (if Robert is going to make, because he is a sickly boy and the come to die sometimes, maybe even with a little help from LF).

I don't trust him, I guess he helps Sansa because he can benefit from it and not because he wants to help her. Of course, she is Cat's daughter and looks a lot like her mother, so that can be a reason he wants to help her, but I think that's the reason he gives to Sansa. Not the real reason.

Because I don't trust him, I find it a bit creepy how he handles Sansa and I'm quite worried for her. But I can't deny he has helped her a lot and she has made a change in the time she has spend with him, so he has a positive impact on her in the way that Sansa learns to play the game and became much stronger than she was in GoT and aCoK.

Having the heir to Winterfell, the daughter of the woman you loved, and the only person who knows your true intentions under your roof and at your command are just some reasons why maybe. It's been a slow, calculated climb for Littlefinger. He has little to no loose ends, and makes even fewer mistakes. Presently, Sansa is of little use to him, as she is wanted for regicide, but you can be sure he'll need her once he uncovers his Vale (see what I did there? :P)

OR.... Littlefinger is undeniably creepy AF, and he may just want a pretty little girl to kiss all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I think he's helping Sansa so he can benefit from her. She is of course the heir to Winterfell and he can benefit from that by being her guard. Also, everything LF does is to become more powerful, he killed Lysa, so he can be the warden of the East until Robert comes of age and he can manipulatie him long enough to do everything he wants (if Robert is going to make, because he is a sickly boy and the come to die sometimes, maybe even with a little help from LF).

I don't trust him, I guess he helps Sansa because he can benefit from it and not because he wants to help her. Of course, she is Cat's daughter and looks a lot like her mother, so that can be a reason he wants to help her, but I think that's the reason he gives to Sansa. Not the real reason.

Because I don't trust him, I find it a bit creepy how he handles Sansa and I'm quite worried for her. But I can't deny he has helped her a lot and she has made a change in the time she has spend with him, so he has a positive impact on her in the way that Sansa learns to play the game and became much stronger than she was in GoT and aCoK.

I completely agree with you. Of course Sansa is LF's way to get the power he wants. I love the "new Sansa" and I think that she and Rickon will be the saviors of House Stark (and the North). I really hope she doesn't become blind and trust everyone (even someone who helped her someway, like Littlefinger did).

He's definitely creepy, but also interesting and decent in his own way. He kickstarted the Rube Goldberg machine that is the series' plot, and basically saved Sansa Stark from certain death. He also orchestrated Joffrey's death, something that put him squarely on my good side, even though he did kill Lysa and frame Marillion (but Lysa did kind of have to go, she was seriously messing up her son). He's a jerk for (mostly) the right reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate him, honestly, and I don't see him surviving the series..I do think that he cares about Sansa (part of him) but a larger part of him wants power and is willing to use, manipulate or destroy anyone to get it. That includes Sansa. I mean..this is how I see it (and them):

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW (and just speculation)

------
--

1. Petyr Baelish set in motion everything that led to most of her family now being dead. He and Lysa killed Jon Arryn, which led to Ned and Sansa/Arya coming to King's Landing. Then to add onto that, he played a large part in Ned's death. I honestly think that Sansa would hate him just as much as she does Cersei and did Joffrey if she were to find out that he held a knife to Ned's throat and said "I did warn you not to trust me" and betrayed him. Also, it's because of Ned's death that Robb and Catelyn went to war with the Lannisters. (again remember that he wouldn't have been in King's Landing if Petyr hadn't manipulated Lysa into helping him kill Jon in his quest for power). Then whenever Sansa asked why Petyr had helped to kill Joffrey, he twisted the words to his benefit once more and tried to play it off as if he were doing it for Catelyn. He did it for power, vengeance for Catelyn was a bonus.

2. In the books, he fondles Sansa and molests her, all the while forcing her to call him 'father' Sansa wants nothing to do with him romantically. Yes, she thinks of Littlefinger and Petyr as two different people, but admits that she wants away from both of them

3. Even if he does genuinely care for her (which I think he does) Petyr will never love Sansa more than Littlefinger wants power. It's as simple as that.

4. I think it's more about an obsession and control than anything. As a child, Petyr was in love with Catelyn. Catelyn never loved him, and so now he wants to live out his creepy fantasy with her daughter.

5. Petyr manipulates Sansa and lies to her just like almost everyone else has since she left Winterfell. He wants to marry her off (again his quest for power overcomes any genuine feelings he may have). And if he doesn't go through with that plan, then he will likely try to marry her himself. That's not because he's in love with her, but just because it would be his best quest for power. He would be able to control both The Vale and Winterfell through Sansa. Added onto that, he would get to have sex with her. Let's not forget that Sansa has never willingly kissed him or even enjoyed the kisses (as far as we know). She just ''dutifully" does so because she has learned a long time ago that it was best to do what was expected of her.

7. Sansa will almost 100% be the one to either kill Littlefinger or take him out of the game. At least this is what I think. Their storyline is leading up to something. He's mentoring her, teaching her to lie and become manipulative. Sansa is one of his very few weaknesses, and so I think that she will use that against him in the end. She will get tired of people using her and manipulating her, and she will play the player. Either that or Lady Stoneheart will kill him. How fitting would that be? I really don't see him surviving...I could be wrong, though! :)

I hate him, honestly, and I don't see him surviving the series..I do think that he cares about Sansa (part of him) but a larger part of him wants power and is willing to use, manipulate or destroy anyone to get it. That includes Sansa. I mean..this is how I see it (and them):

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW (and just speculation)

------

--

1. Petyr Baelish set in motion everything that led to most of her family now being dead. He and Lysa killed Jon Arryn, which led to Ned and Sansa/Arya coming to King's Landing. Then to add onto that, he played a large part in Ned's death. I honestly think that Sansa would hate him just as much as she does Cersei and did Joffrey if she were to find out that he held a knife to Ned's throat and said "I did warn you not to trust me" and betrayed him. Also, it's because of Ned's death that Robb and Catelyn went to war with the Lannisters. (again remember that he wouldn't have been in King's Landing if Petyr hadn't manipulated Lysa into helping him kill Jon in his quest for power). Then whenever Sansa asked why Petyr had helped to kill Joffrey, he twisted the words to his benefit once more and tried to play it off as if he were doing it for Catelyn. He did it for power, vengeance for Catelyn was a bonus.

2. In the books, he fondles Sansa and molests her, all the while forcing her to call him 'father' Sansa wants nothing to do with him romantically. Yes, she thinks of Littlefinger and Petyr as two different people, but admits that she wants away from both of them

3. Even if he does genuinely care for her (which I think he does) Petyr will never love Sansa more than Littlefinger wants power. It's as simple as that.

4. I think it's more about an obsession and control than anything. As a child, Petyr was in love with Catelyn. Catelyn never loved him, and so now he wants to live out his creepy fantasy with her daughter.

5. Petyr manipulates Sansa and lies to her just like almost everyone else has since she left Winterfell. He wants to marry her off (again his quest for power overcomes any genuine feelings he may have). And if he doesn't go through with that plan, then he will likely try to marry her himself. That's not because he's in love with her, but just because it would be his best quest for power. He would be able to control both The Vale and Winterfell through Sansa. Added onto that, he would get to have sex with her. Let's not forget that Sansa has never willingly kissed him or even enjoyed the kisses (as far as we know). She just ''dutifully" does so because she has learned a long time ago that it was best to do what was expected of her.

7. Sansa will almost 100% be the one to either kill Littlefinger or take him out of the game. At least this is what I think. Their storyline is leading up to something. He's mentoring her, teaching her to lie and become manipulative. Sansa is one of his very few weaknesses, and so I think that she will use that against him in the end. She will get tired of people using her and manipulating her, and she will play the player. Either that or Lady Stoneheart will kill him. How fitting would that be? I really don't see him surviving...I could be wrong, though! :)

A++++++ post

would read again

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is possible that he may have wanted to hurt Catelyn for what she had done to him by refusing his love back in Riverrun, seeking some sort of vengeance. The only perspective that we get on their relationship comes from Cat, who claims that he would be glad to see her because of their shared childhood, yet it could be just as likely that he had grown resentful over what had transpired in the later years. Baelish's love was not only rejected, he was nearly killed by the man that she was to marry instead and IIRC, Cat never attempted to communicate with him after his near death. Such a cold treatment after nearly dying for her could have grown into resentment over the years. It does not seem that Baelish went out of his way to help Catelyn either; Baelish lied to her about the origins of the dagger used on her (leading to a great number of negative occurrences) and plotted the betrayal of her husband, Ned. In my eyes, his courting of Sansa is his final insult against Catelyn, he couldn't have her love, so he will have her daughter's, in spite.

Let's put it this way..... if Littlefinger was a real person in modern day America, he would either head up a K Street lobbying firm.. or worse... be a career politician.

So I guess what I am saying is that... I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him!

Yeah Littlefinger can't be trusted. He's betrayed too many people and he's only using Sansa to climb another rung in the ladder. Sansa is his key to claiming Winterfell and the North as his own. However, I think Sansa will outsmart him in the end and beat him at his own game.

• 2 weeks later...

Littlefinger ....... who cares

he was important player in beginning but with introduction of all new players who are way more dangerous( smart ) than wolfs/stags/lions and have armies & ships & dragons, he seems "little"

now he is just trying to undone all damage that stupid Catalyn/Ned had

imposed on poor Sansa

but.......

maybe, just maybe: he has part to play

Dragons are key for endgame, Dany has them, Dorne ,ironc#nts,cheesemonger/Varys ,oldtown all want them......... and where is LF in all that : he has some Targ tapestry ???

Archived